• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do if you received this email from an Ebay buyer??
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Hey Fellow Forumites,

Would like to get some  of your input. 

7-11 Ebay buyer purchased $795 book via BIN

7-16 item delivered to buyer  bc88508

7-17 buyer posted positive feedback on the transaction

Today,  7-19 I received the following email:

Could you do me a favor please? I paid with my Visa, and just saw that my Discover card is currently offering 5% cashback for PayPal. Can you refund me and send an invoice so I can pay with the Discover instead? I would really appreciate it and will pay immediately.

I am inclined to say that "the transaction is completed and cannot be reversed." and move on.

hm  Other opinions?  Thanks for your input.

Agree with @Motor City Rob.  Doesn't sound like something you could do without huge risk.  As soon as you refund, he has both the item and the money.  That won't wok.  I thought of sending him a PayPal invoice to be paid by Discover, then do the refund, but that has its problems, too.  He would have to be willing to pay twice and hope for a refund.  You also have no proof that the invoiced goods were delivered, no tracking (the original delivery predates payment), so you could get a chargeback.  You're trying to save him $40 after the fact and risking $795.  Maybe someone sees a solution, but I don't think there is one.  Just too late to pull it off.  Hopefully he doesn't want to do a return to force your hand.

Edited by Lightning55

4 minutes ago, oldrover said:

So you're saying there's a chance? 

my line at single's bars after drink thrown in face-

34 minutes ago, SamPool said:

Doesn't PayPal keep the fees for refunds now? 

I think paypal charges 3%, so for a $795 they would keep the $23.85.  So you would be out $23.85 twice.

That's right, @kav.  They send the refund, but don't credit the fee.  If @silverweb refunded and got re-paid, he would again incur the fee.  Not really out the fee twice, but one was deserved, so definitely a cost to @silverweb.  Another good reason why you can't do it.

@Turnando I think the buyer is just legitimately trying to turn back the clock to when he could have used the Discover card to get the bonus rewards.  Doesn't seem too nefarious.  Just dawned on him that he missed out on $40.  So yeah, I guess imbecile fits, but a bit harsh.  We're tough on stupidity here.

When people send lowball offers (Say $100 for something reasonably priced at $225), I decline with a message that says, "Not even if I needed drug money."

With this... I would be far more creative.

Just ignore it and walk away.   He is not your friend and this is a pretty interesting scam. 

25 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

With this... I would be far more creative.

lets have it.

I still think the guy is just backpedaling.  Wants a redo so he can snag the $40 he missed.  Doesn't realize the scope of what he is asking.

Reminds me of the time I got po'd because I missed a $25 rebate opportunity by one day.  Just frosted me that I was dumb enough to miss it. 

I prepped the rebate and tried to get the post office clerk to pre-date the round stamp to make it "eligible".  Like he was going to risk his retirement on my $25 rebate whiff.

Sometimes we make bad decisions trying to correct previous bad decisions (or omissions).

2 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Reminds me of the time I got po'd because I missed a $25 rebate opportunity by one day.  Just frosted me that I was dumb enough to miss it. 

I prepped the rebate and tried to get the post office clerk to pre-date the round stamp to make it "eligible".  Like he was going to risk his retirement on my $25 rebate whiff.

Not to say I would ever do this, but if you wait a while and contact with "where's my rebate?" you usually end up having to "resubmit" the copies you kept of your submission - because you DO always keep copies, right? - and get the refund issued.

Given how many times rebates have been "not received" over the years, it only seems fair.