• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Turns You Off On A Piece
1 1

91 posts in this topic

What things make you stop considering a piece you would otherwise be interested in?

For me:

1. Damage: Mold, water damage, being colored by hand, etc. are all things that make me not interested in a piece. I've seen plenty of these pages with issues priced at close to FMV. Not sure why anybody would pay that when you can get a comparable page with no damage for close to the same price.

2. Price increases on a page that a dealer has owned for years. If a dealer has a page on their site for 6 years at $5,000 and then they take it down for a few weeks/months and then relist it for sale at $8,000 why would I (or anyone else) pay that? 

It depends... early in my collecting career, I was offered a cover that was severely water damaged (serious rippling of the 2 ply Strathmore).  It was glued down to a mat board, probably Elmers.  Got it for $100.00.  I sold it (probably too cheaply) and the dealer had it "restored".  The bottom ply was removed (so no CCA stamp), the piece was flattened, mounted to a new board and stats were remounted.  I had considered all these things but didn't ask around to be that serious about it.  It ended up looking great, didn't ask how much it cost but was told it cost "a lot".  If I knew that work could be done at "reasonable" price, I'd still buy it (let's say if I had to buy the damaged piece for $2,000 today) and pay for the restoration.

In general, I'm turned off by (not necessarily "deal breakers"):

• faded ink (e.g. Gil Kane inking himself, or any inker that used Penstix).
  • bleeding ink (e.g. used a Sharpie to fill in blacks).
  • missing lettering corrections - the correction was stripped in and later fell out
  • missing title stat (e.g. for covers)

Also not "deal breakers" but should be noted if the piece was for sale:

• replaced art - art was cut out of the page an replaced
  • missing art - the replacement is now missing
  • drawing over whited-out art - whiteout flakes off, taking the art with it.
  • lots of whiteout - e.g. inker may have gone a little crazy and then used whiteout to correct.  Or an editorial decision to use lots of whiteout all over the page.  I have a Gray Morrow story and the outer edge of the girls nostrils were whited out, same for a wrinkle on either side of her lips, every page of the story.  Giving the blue pencil, I think that was a editorial decision.
  • ink over digital pencils - Yes, I went there.
  • poorly located signature or autograph

So basically a lot of stuff related to producing art for publication. 

These are deal breakers:

joh29.2.jpg

Edited by Will_K

It's not a deal-breaker for me by any means, but glue stains are a turnoff.  

Similarly, if I'm looking at two, roughly equivalent pieces and one has stats reflecting rework or a ton of whiteout, and the second was something that was nailed perfectly the first time.  I'll always have a preference for the second. 

2 hours ago, kbmcvay said:

What things make you stop considering a piece you would otherwise be interested in?

For me:

1. Damage: Mold, water damage, being colored by hand, etc. are all things that make me not interested in a piece. I've seen plenty of these pages with issues priced at close to FMV. Not sure why anybody would pay that when you can get a comparable page with no damage for close to the same price.

2. Price increases on a page that a dealer has owned for years. If a dealer has a page on their site for 6 years at $5,000 and then they take it down for a few weeks/months and then relist it for sale at $8,000 why would I (or anyone else) pay that? 

Because if you don’t buy it for $8,000 when you could’ve had it for $5,000, it just might be $10,000 next month.

Welcome to the world of Los Bros.

2 hours ago, kbmcvay said:

For me:

I'm being nitpicky but item 2 doesn't make sense. I presume in this example you saw it at $5K and didn't want to buy it for 6 years.  So even if it goes to $5,001, $8,000 or $1M, you weren't turned off.  You were turned off at $5k!

Sorry, just being nitpicky as I said.

Malvin

22 minutes ago, malvin said:

You were turned off at $5k!

So was everybody else. The price was higher than anybody was willing to pay for several years so raising it makes no sense. If somebody wanted to sell a "stale" page it would make sense to lower the price not raise it.

Edited by kbmcvay

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

signed by Stan Lee - e.g. https://www.comicconnect.com/item/882454?tzf=1     not the consignor, won't be a bidder

Wondering why this is a turn off? ( I have a couple pieces signed by stan one I Love that it is and one I would have preferred wasn't but was not a deal breaker neither was done by me)

14 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Wondering why this is a turn off? ( I have a couple pieces signed by stan one I Love that it is and one I would have preferred wasn't but was not a deal breaker neither was done by me)

Fingers crossed no one bids on this one because of this...

Water damage

Done exclusively with markers/copics (published or con drawings)

Faded markers

Hand colored

Wonky Anatomy (mostly on drawings and sketches)

Modern panel page with no dialog (unless the storytelling works so well without the dialog)

Missing artwork

26 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Pencil and inks on separate boards.  Huge turn off.   I did pull the trigger once because I really wanted the pice and had no other choice, but 99% of the time is a deal breaker.    I rather see pencils only, and digitally colored. 

This bother me ONLY when is not disclosed.
That been say
I have been tempted to buy a few pieces with full disclosure...

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss coloured pieces.  Hogarth hand coloured some Tarzan Sundays; Outcault partially hand coloured some Buster Browns; and King hand coloured some Gasoline Alley Sundays - to name a few.  Hand coloured by the artist doesn't bother me in the least.

Not sure anything truly turns me off a piece I really want, but a few things I dislike:

1. Signatures added to modern pages / covers. The art itself is practically a signature in and of itself and many pieces were already signed by the artist in production anyways. Why do you need it signed again? You also risk the artist signing somewhere really unappealing. I find it particularly egregious on modern art, which usually has a really clean and presentable look without a signature scribbled in the margin. This is probably unpopular, but I find the practice redundant and usually ugly. I get the appeal more with older art where the page was often used as a notepad of sorts. That tapestry of history can be fascinating and a signature is a neat affirmation to that history.

2. Damage. Who doesn’t dislike damage?

3. Make offer / inquire - I’ll always inquire about pieces I have to have, but never for impulse purchases.