• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Turns You Off On A Piece
1 1

91 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Just discovered a new turn off. I saw a piece for sale that I would otherwise love to have in my collection, but one of the word balloons contained a derogatory statement. A statement that was probably an accepted joke back in its day, but definitely doesn’t fly in 2020. 

As a corollary, I have a small piece I'm cagey about displaying because it has a swastika on it fairly prominently... so much so that you could make it out from a distance without actually being able to determine the context (which is decided anti-Nazi).   

1 hour ago, rlextherobot said:

As a corollary, I have a small piece I'm cagey about displaying because it has a swastika on it fairly prominently... so much so that you could make it out from a distance without actually being able to determine the context (which is decided anti-Nazi).   

My earliest interest in illustration art was men's adventure stuff (the post-wag sweat mags).  In that genre, pieces with Nazis and swastikas almost always carry a premium.  Now, they're always presented in an over-the-top fashion that explicitly makes clear that they're the bad guys, which is probably the difference with what you're talking about (at least I'm guessing this isn't a Timely cover)

51 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

My earliest interest in illustration art was men's adventure stuff (the post-wag sweat mags).  In that genre, pieces with Nazis and swastikas almost always carry a premium.  Now, they're always presented in an over-the-top fashion that explicitly makes clear that they're the bad guys, which is probably the difference with what you're talking about (at least I'm guessing this isn't a Timely cover)

In this specific case it's a pencil drawing an artist was using to work out a composition for a painting paying homage to the classic Cap #1 punching-Hitler cover. The only real issue is that there's a large Nazi flag in the background which is much more legible than any other part of the drawing. My worry is mostly that some random visitor would look over and only be able to make out the swastika and not the rest of the composition. 

10 hours ago, rlextherobot said:

In this specific case it's a pencil drawing an artist was using to work out a composition for a painting paying homage to the classic Cap #1 punching-Hitler cover. The only real issue is that there's a large Nazi flag in the background which is much more legible than any other part of the drawing. My worry is mostly that some random visitor would look over and only be able to make out the swastika and not the rest of the composition. 

I thought I would have a similar problem with an art-covered hard hat used during the construction of the Hoover Dam. In this case, the “swastica” is actually a symbol of an Indian tribe meaning good luck (it is a common international symbol used by various cultures). When I show people around, if they see it, I simply explain what it is and move on. For the most part, they don’t care one way or the other.