• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Turns You Off On A Piece
1 1

91 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Varanis said:

Why framed art? Can’t it just be unframed?

Not all art, and I’d err that most framed art, is framed in a conservation manner. 

This is to say that you don’t know if the art has been glued to the matte (with a non-archival glue, I’m sure) and on a acid matte and now you have 1) damaged art; 2) art that is troublesome to reframe (because now you’re stuck with a cheesy matte) 3) a conservation bill you weren’t expecting. 

Many (most, all??!) sellers don’t disclose how the art was framed in their listings, or just don’t know at all. Then you have to pay a premium to have that cheesy, bulky frame shipped to you. 

43 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss coloured pieces.  Hogarth hand coloured some Tarzan Sundays; Outcault partially hand coloured some Buster Browns; and King hand coloured some Gasoline Alley Sundays - to name a few.  Hand coloured by the artist doesn't bother me in the least.

Yep.  I've seen some hand-colored pieces that hold up amazingly well (like George Herriman Krazy Kat's), but there seems to have been a trend towards using markers for a while in the 60s/70s and a lot of that stuff generally hasn't held up at all.

Edited by ShallowDan

1. Personalizations to someone else is a deal breaker

2.  Hand colored pieces done after the fact

3.  Mold or fungus because I would be concerned it could spread to other art I own.

4.  Alterations after the fact like the fake paste ups.

1) Excessive damage to the art

2) Signatures within the artwork (no problem outside the panel borders but I dislike them inside the actual artwork itself)

3) Pencil only pieces (I’m an inked pieces only collector)

4) DC Comic Art (no knock on DC artists/art but I grew up reading Marvel Comics only so that is the only art I am interested in collecting)

6 hours ago, kbmcvay said:

What things make you stop considering a piece you would otherwise be interested in?

For me:

1. Damage: Mold, water damage, being colored by hand, etc. are all things that make me not interested in a piece. I've seen plenty of these pages with issues priced at close to FMV. Not sure why anybody would pay that when you can get a comparable page with no damage for close to the same price.

2. Price increases on a page that a dealer has owned for years. If a dealer has a page on their site for 6 years at $5,000 and then they take it down for a few weeks/months and then relist it for sale at $8,000 why would I (or anyone else) pay that? 

Excessive commission fee + excessive shipping & 'handling' fees + Duties

4 hours ago, Benedict Judas Hel said:

1) Excessive damage to the art

2) Signatures within the artwork (no problem outside the panel borders but I dislike them inside the actual artwork itself)

3) Pencil only pieces (I’m an inked pieces only collector)

4) DC Comic Art (no knock on DC artists/art but I grew up reading Marvel Comics only so that is the only art I am interested in collecting)

No “pencils only” art, huh? This is the only way you can buy “Lady Mechanika” published story pages by Joe Benitez:6651BB89-5E73-4072-98B9-292B1E0FEEA7.thumb.jpeg.4240a720c92372b38b8643c23d1163d7.jpeg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

No “pencils only” art, huh? This is the only way you can buy “Lady Mechanika” published story pages by Joe Benitez:6651BB89-5E73-4072-98B9-292B1E0FEEA7.thumb.jpeg.4240a720c92372b38b8643c23d1163d7.jpeg

And no dialog. That eliminates most of the modern panel pages for me.

If I want it enough, I can be flexible. 

But, the seller’s reputation for integrity is critical. That is one I am least likely to bend on.

I hate old brownish glue stains, and am not keen on physical damage even if fixable.

I also dislike artistic errors in costuming, and overly dense layouts.

29 minutes ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Size.  Large than twice up art is so difficult to store.  I've since got two large flat file draws so I can drop everything in there, but even so...

I have managed to snag some nice DPS due to the aversion to oversized art. You aren't the only collector who avoids them. 

3 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Size.  Large than twice up art is so difficult to store.  I've since got two large flat file draws so I can drop everything in there, but even so...

Size doesn't matter!!!  

Larger can be good.

18 hours ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

1.  A wonky bit of anatomy that I can't unsee.

2.  Artist is a jerk.

#1 for sure.

I love Jay Anacleto's work in this title. I only own one cover, but would love to own three or four more (if you have one, please sell it to me). :foryou:

That said, this cover has come up twice on ComicLink in recent years and the price is low, but I can't unsee her right arm/fingers. It just looks wrong. Her arms bend awkwardly, and for some reason Jay thickly "outlined" the fingers compared to the rest of her. Her foot in the background looks more like a big finger. I have passed twice as I know that is all that I would see, not the rest of the cover.doh!

RADCE73D20191121_134020.thumb.jpg.1a3970e5ce19e316f8fadb2a3beda9ea.jpg