• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And you thought Modern comics were overpriced...

14 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

This is what happens when people with very deep pockets get involved in auctions.  Leore Avidar is the co founder of Lob and he values his company at a billion dollars so he's got money to throw around.

True but since this is an auction there was an under bidder willing to spend nearly as much. 

4 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

True but since this is an auction there was an under bidder willing to spend nearly as much. 

I'm sure that A) the underbidder(s) have deep pockets or B) the underbidder was someone he is affiliated with to gain attention for him and his company.  Who knows.  Either way, pricing for cards has gone through the roof this year.  Certain modern basketball/baseball cards are selling for 10K+ regularly.  

17 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

This is what happens when people with very deep pockets get involved in auctions.  Leore Avidar is the co founder of Lob and he values his company at a billion dollars so he's got money to throw around.

Looks like he has big plans to “bring something big to the collectibles and alternative asset business in the coming months.”  In theory that could include comics as well.  Maybe he is creating a mutual fund of some sorts comprised of collectibles for investment?

6 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Looks like he has big plans to “bring something big to the collectibles and alternative asset business in the coming months.”  In theory that could include comics as well.  Maybe he is creating a mutual fund of some sorts comprised of collectibles for investment?

Not again.🤦‍♂️

27 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I have the feeling from your comment that this will bring in all the speculators and drive up the prices for all of us collectors?  

It's the mutual fund with comics idea that has been kicked around for years. Once you get those investors involved, market manipulation will get out of control.

I was following this auction.  Unreal price for that card.  Hard to believe that entire set was around $10,000 for the first couple of years of it's release which was unheard of money to spend on a modern set.  

I have collect sports cards for years, it's my true collecting passion and I'm seeing unbelievable prices increases on sports cards in the past 3 years.  I would say it's eclipsing comic prices.

The modern sports card market is absolutely nuts compared to modern comics. My brother is heavy into live card breaks and as much as I considered joining him, I just don’t have a passion for the cards, athletes, or the sports they play. He’s pulled many 4 figure and even 5 figure cards. Modern comic equivalents simply don’t exist for many of these. One needs to go to bronze and older to match values. I’m amazed at the amounts he pays to buy new packs of cards. 

As hot as comics prices seem now, they are bargains by comparison. If a sizable group of card collectors get into comics we’ll see massive price increases, especially on rare exclusive moderns. There are signs in the card world this is already starting. The modern sports card collector doesn’t have the nerd stigma comics have been dealt, and the professional sports market values are way beyond printed conics. But comics have been losing that negative nerd connotation in the modern age and the dozens of movies grossing billions of $ have been changing perceptions and increasing characters’ values.

I’m just here for the ride.