• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Snuff Film

17 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Amen. 

On top of that they are using wrestling terminology for a show about comics.  

Edited by Buzzetta

6 hours ago, Gaard said:

A couple of cringe-worthy spots during the actual snuff.

When I see someone using scissors and a cheap knife to cut the inner well I know right away we're dealing with someone who has no clue what they're doing.  Not only can you easily damage the book but you create small teeth with every clip of the scissors which will catch the book on the way out.

11 minutes ago, vheflin said:

thought microchamber paper was placed under front and back covers...

this one had one sheet and it was in page 3-4???

and they didn't know what it waslol

Pretty sure it's always been just 1 between a couple pages. Could be wrong.

15 hours ago, catman76 said:

So they are nimrods because they love the comic and gush over it the whole time and the guy who is mainly talking is a world war 2 collector and telling history and context and everything? ok

I agree.  Yeah, they kind of scared me cutting open the inner well, but talking over the book and the history involved was interesting.

I'm much more into people talking about their love of a book than what they paid and what they can get flipping it.

Edited by D84
grammar

22 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Somehow comics and wrestling are becoming buddies. A lot of my LCS guys love it and talk about it, and a C2E2 this year there was a big presence.

On 7/21/2020 at 7:12 PM, Buzzetta said:

And? You use "mint" and grading terminology that is for coins. Yesterday at work someone used the expression "you hit a home run" and we weren't playing baseball. I have used that expression before and I hate sports. So what's the big deal?

2 hours ago, catman76 said:

And? You use "mint" and grading terminology that is for coins. Yesterday at work someone used the expression "you hit a home run" and we weren't playing baseball. I have used that expression before and I hate sports. So what's the big deal?

Shrug... I cannot believe that I am even going to reply to this but this but I fell asleep and this is a great way to 'wake up a bit' before I get some work done. 

Mint, while originally used to describe a coin as having a condition as if it came straight from the 'mint', has entered the vernacular to describe a rated condition of most any collectible. It has gradually superseded its intended use for coins and has found its way into the descriptive grade for comics, toys, baseball cards, jewelry, automobiles, and many other collectibles or items that require a descriptive grade for the purpose of assigning a value to the said collectible or object.  Hitting a home run is another word that has transcended its original use in the English vernacular to describe an instance where someone has gone the distance. 

Kayfabe has not. It's use here is awkward.

Walk around the street and tell people you are breaking kayfabe and they will stare at you with confusion and then move on.   Kayfabe is a very specific term used over the last 80 to 100 years describing the protection of the scripted nature of wrestling.   So no, I don't see it here in use of comics.  Is CGC or slabbed comics the "heel"?   Is a raw comic book a "babyface"?  Am I to assume that the conflict is between slabbed comics vs raw?  Will there be a cage match or elimination chamber between the two?  The use of the term 'kayfabe' is awkward to a casual viewer and instead of paying attention to the 'frat bro' like sounds of the hosts, a casual viewer is going to look up the term kayfabe and try to figure out what the hosts are talking about.   So, upon reflection, after you decided to challenge it, yeah, I feel it is misused.   Originally it was really an observation, but since you seem to take issue with it, I decided to sit back and think about it. 

I am sure that there will be some retort so we will cut that off now and just say, 'you win'.  You are right.  Feel better?   You win.  You are right.  Whatever it is you want to say, "You win, you are right."

17 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Pretty sure it's always been just 1 between a couple pages. Could be wrong.

Negative......at least in the early years of CGC.

They always used to put a piece of microchamber paper inside the front cover and another inside the back cover.

7 minutes ago, BeepBeep said:
12 hours ago, catman76 said:
On 7/21/2020 at 8:12 PM, Buzzetta said:

I can see why you like these nimrods :facepalm:

He can always post it at another slabbing board and see if the reception is any better there.