• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX to CGC - 'NG' Grade

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.  I'm considering purchasing a single-page of a rare comic, from a dealer.  The page is slabbed by PGX and carries a grade of 'NG' with no serial on the slab.  My plan will be to submit it to CGC for grading and to have it re-slabbed.  I'm basically trying to determine if the page from the comic is real, and I can't find any information about the 'NG' PGX grade.  I thought single-pages were given a 0.1 grade.  With no serial #, is there any way that I can verify the page is real?  Thank you.

3 minutes ago, BeepBeep said:

How do you verify any single pages - carbon dating? 

I was about to write this ... I think the only option is carbon dating, no idea how much that costs. This comic is from the 1930's, so it would be easy to verify.  This leads to the question of how does CGC certify a page from a comic that doesn't have any time-stamps, as CGC isn't carbon dating.

Consider contacting Cgc directly with your question

48 minutes ago, earthprime said:

I was about to write this ... I think the only option is carbon dating, no idea how much that costs. This comic is from the 1930's, so it would be easy to verify.  This leads to the question of how does CGC certify a page from a comic that doesn't have any time-stamps, as CGC isn't carbon dating.

If you know what Book it is from , get your dealer to offer money back if it is counterfeit.  Crack it out and send it to CGC.  Pretty simple.

13 hours ago, BeepBeep said:

How do you verify any single pages - carbon dating? 

Entire golden age comics don't need carbon dating so why would a single page?  The feel, texture and look would be analyzed by the "expert" graders who can tell if it is actually from the comic.  I don't trust PGX like others have alluded to but i'd be more inclined if it was their newer style label as their grading and detection of problematic books did improve.  Reach out to PGX directly to make sure its a "real" page and then contact CGC to see what they'd say.  At the end of the day, none of us commenting here work for either company so go directly to the sources.