• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Matt Baker?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

im no expert but I would say no-one of the fabulous baker boys will more than likely confirm or deny presently :) 

Edited by fett

And as long as people are asking is something Baker...

Does anybody else think he had something to do with this cover?  He definitely had an interior story in the issue.  I keep thinking the man on the left looks very much like a Baker face...

Exotic_Romances_28.jpg

12 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Does anybody else think he had something to do with this cover?  He definitely had an interior story in the issue.  I keep thinking the man on the left looks very much like a Baker face...

Exotic_Romances_28.jpg

The first one is definitely not Baker.

The Exotic Romances always looked like some Baker in there. But with a heavy handed inker that buries him, if it is.

2 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

The first one is definitely not Baker.

The Exotic Romances always looked like some Baker in there. But with a heavy handed inker that buries him, if it is.

Thank you.  That's as good a description of the Exotic Romances cover as I could come up with; and I'm glad to know I'm not alone in at least thinking there's something there, however slight.

I am looking at Love Secrets 50. I see details and perspective and a life-like feeling that makes the think of Baker, but I see the eyes on the main woman, and it doesn't feel like him at all. Is it a heavy handed inker making the eyes more...pronounced? Or just an artist that learned to emulate the positioning and feel of the master without the innate ability to draw a woman the same way. Either way, I think the same man, woman or team did both LS 50 and Exotic Romances 28. The eyes, the eyes! Every time that artist or inker draw a woman, there are these intense big eyes that are drawn all the way around. Then I see the waist on LS 50 and think Ward. John Forte is a possibility.

5 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

What do you think?

CC46F547-FBB3-4893-B45F-251FF0F87A5A.jpeg.2fafd1140f95fc89420c6394b7163d35.jpeg

Definitely not Matt Baker.  He had much shorter hair.

19 hours ago, comicnoir said:

But with a heavy handed inker that buries him, if it is.

I think this inking is fantastic.  Ward-like.  The shape of the woman's head gives me the impression of Baker pencils.  I think the same artist combo was employed to produce most of the Baker Quality covers.

100_0630.JPG

23 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Exotic_Romances_28.jpg

Not a Baker cover. 

This is the only Quality romance I own and it is Baker, although with a different finish than his St. John's work. Mostly recognizable in the males in the background. His Quality work was also stiffer with less great posing. Whether this was art direction or multiple hands on the work, we don't know.

girls in love 57.jpeg