• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do people really spend $139K on eBay???
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I was looking for the Superman Blue .5 replaced cover and found this post.  Do people really spend $139K on eBay now with the taxes?  I am in an 8.5% local tax jurisdiction so this would be an $11,800 tax bill.  I do understand that auctions usually have commissions.  But has there been a shift since eBay started collecting taxes moving buyers away from high ticket items like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAN-1-2-3-4-5-CGC-6-0-THE-HOLY-GRAIL-OF-ALL-COMICS-PAST-PRESENT-1939/221258800008?hash=item33840d5b88:g:VL8AAOxyGstR8F-B

Superman_eBay.JPG

48 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I was looking for the Superman Blue .5 replaced cover and found this post.  Do people really spend $139K on eBay now with the taxes?  I am in an 8.5% local tax jurisdiction so this would be an $11,800 tax bill.  I do understand that auctions usually have commissions.  But has there been a shift since eBay started collecting taxes moving buyers away from high ticket items like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAN-1-2-3-4-5-CGC-6-0-THE-HOLY-GRAIL-OF-ALL-COMICS-PAST-PRESENT-1939/221258800008?hash=item33840d5b88:g:VL8AAOxyGstR8F-B

Superman_eBay.JPG

If the seller doesn't have a website and there are currently no conventions Ebay is sometimes the "platform" of last resort

8 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Paying taxes may hurt when making an expensive purchase, but I've always looked at it as my civic duty.  I guess I just factor it in as part of the purchase.  2c

Ya, and if you don't like the bill, don't buy the book.

1 hour ago, BladeTX said:

Superman_eBay.JPG

Yikes

I would definetly be trying to circumvent EBay's policies on that one.:roflmao:

Or at least firing a 40k lowball.

Yes it has been done and then some. One copy of Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0 with White Pages sold for $3.2 Million Dollars on Ebay 

As for the color copy cover Superman #1 

Ebay item #154014910529 or here is the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154014910529

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

well the big one that sold several years ago was actually cheaper for everyone as the cut was much smaller as there is a cap on seller fees and of course no buyer premium. While not thought of as the premier site for the big auctions, it was a smart move to go there I think.

9.5% sales tax for me.. I have unfortunately given feebay hundred$ since Oct 2019 since the taxes were implemented... I once spent $700 on a comic and it added close to another $100... I'm definitely losing auctions being outbid by other buyers who can afford to bid an extra dollar or more because they don't have to pay taxes like New York :/

3 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Paying taxes may hurt when making an expensive purchase, but I've always looked at it as my civic duty.  I guess I just factor it in as part of the purchase.  2c

I respect that but I am VERY glad I built our my Walking Dead #1-48 2xSS collection before eBay was hitting me up for an extra 8.5%.   

2 hours ago, littledoom said:

9.5% sales tax for me.. I have unfortunately given feebay hundred$ since Oct 2019 since the taxes were implemented... I once spent $700 on a comic and it added close to another $100... I'm definitely losing auctions being outbid by other buyers who can afford to bid an extra dollar or more because they don't have to pay taxes like New York :/

I mentioned this in another thread. Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon have no state sales tax. So, based on the example shown by the OP, if someone in Oregon wanted this set, it would cost them $139,000 plus shipping. However, if @littledoom wanted to purchase the same set of books, it would cost him $152,205 plus shipping. I would say that gives the buyer in Oregon a tremendous advantage.

I'm not a fan of having to pay these taxes, but that's what has to be done to have a civilized society. My solution would be to establish a uniform "Internet Tax" that EVERYONE pays, regardless of your state sales tax. If you want to set it at 5%, I can live with that. All I'm asking is for the playing field to be leveled.

3 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I mentioned this in another thread. Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon have no state sales tax. So, based on the example shown by the OP, if someone in Oregon wanted this set, it would cost them $139,000 plus shipping. However, if @littledoom wanted to purchase the same set of books, it would cost him $152,205 plus shipping. I would say that gives the buyer in Oregon a tremendous advantage.

I'm not a fan of having to pay these taxes, but that's what has to be done to have a civilized society. My solution would be to establish a uniform "Internet Tax" that EVERYONE pays, regardless of your state sales tax. If you want to set it at 5%, I can live with that. All I'm asking is for the playing field to be leveled.

I considered sending my orders to my cousins in Nevada or Texas (who left CA because it's too expensive to live here).. the tax is like 1-2% lower but it's easier to just pay more to get the packages quickly and directly to my safe hands

2 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

You are correct that the buyer in OR would have a major advantage however I'm not sure how big of a difference it makes in the grand scheme of things. The population of all of those states combined is less than the population of just NYC.

10 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Superman_eBay.JPG

Some people can make purchases like that and not think twice about it...giphy.gif