• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's ILLUMINATI rumored project (TBD)
2 2

22 posts in this topic

MARVEL’S ILLUMINATI IS ON THE TABLE

Our team has learned from a new cast listing that Marvel Studios is in the early stages of developing some kind of project based off Marvel Comics’ Illuminati team. The only confirmed details are that Marvel CCO Kevin Feige is listed as the producer for this project, and the current title of the project is Marvel’s Illuminati. There is no other talent attached and there is no confirmation on whether the project is a movie or a future show on Disney+.

This listing is incredibly early in the development process, and it seems that there are many details that are up in the air at this moment in time. However, this is an incredibly exciting possibility for Marvel Studios to dive into for the future. There is still no official end to Phase 4, so this project would presumably be set sometime in Phase 5 or later, but it will be very interesting to find out more specific details whenever the time comes.

The Illuminati was first introduced in Marvel Comics in 2005. The team is made up by a number of the most notable members of the Avengers who join forces and work secretly behind the scenes of the bigger action in the Marvel Universe.

A new rumor suggests that Marvel Studios is in the early stages of developing a project based on Marvel's Illuminati. The Illuminerdi website reports having learned this information from a cast listing that currently only names Marvel Chief Creative Officer Kevin Feige as a producer on the project, titled Marvel's Illuminati. It's unclear whether the project would be a film or a Disney+ series. Brian Michael Bendis and Steve McNiven created the Illuminati idea during Bendis' run writing Marvel's Avengers titles. In the pages of New Avengers, Bendis revealed that a secret society made of some of Marvel's iconic characters had been operating without oversight since the events of the Kree-Skrull War years ago. The New Avengers: The Illuminati miniseries revealed the group's secret history.

The original group's membership consisted of figures capable of representing all of the Marvel Universe's significant powers. Those members were:

• Iron Man represented the Avengers.
  • Mister Fantastic represented the Fantastic Four.
  • Namor represented Atlantis.
  • Black Bolt represented the Inhumans
  • Professor X represented the X-Men and mutants
  • Doctor Strange represented Earth's mystics

Each member was at one point tasked with hiding and guarding one of the six Infinity Stones. The group also extended an invitation to Black Panther to represent Wakanda. T'Challa refused and predicted that disagreement within the group would spell disaster for Earth.

The Illuminati's first act was to travel to the Skrull homeworld to warn the empire not to tread near Earth again. The excursion unwittingly provided the Skrulls with the genetic data they needed to invade the Earth undetected in Secret Invasion years later. The Illuminati also decided to send the Hulk into space, resulting in him crash landing on the planet Sakaar, the events of "Planet Hulk" taking place, and Hulk's later return to wage World War Hulk.

If Feige plans to base his Illuminati project on this series -- assuming the project does exist -- then it would presumably reveal some previously unknown history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

Possibly a start towards Secret Wars as the big scale Infinity War / Endgame conclusion to the current Phase.

I'd be happy with that.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Marvel could be building toward the introduction of the Illuminati in Phase 4. In the comic books, the Illuminati were a group of well-known Marvel heroes who arranged secret meetings with each other to discuss preemptive measures against possible threats. For a long time, most of the Avengers, the X-Men, and more were oblivious to their existence.

Based on the concept of a group of powerful people secretly shaping the world’s future, Marvel’s Illuminati was comprised of characters from various corners of the Marvel Universe. Among the characters who have served as Illuminati members are Iron Man, Namor the Sub-Mariner, Professor X, Doctor Strange, Black Bolt, Black Panther, and Mr. Fantastic. A retcon in the mid-2000s revealed that they were acting behind the scenes during some of Marvel’s biggest conflicts. They’re also the ones who launched “World War Hulk” when they shot Hulk into space.

How the Illuminati Could Join the Marvel Cinematic Universe

In Marvel Comics, the Illuminati are a group of heroes from across the Marvel Universe who band together in secret to protect the planet. So far they’ve yet to appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but events are lining up where their arrival seems inevitable. After all, someone’s going to have protect the timeline from Kang.

The comic-book version of the Illuminati includes Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Namor, Professor X, Black Bolt, and Mister Fantastic. Of that group, the MCU’s Iron Man is dead, Black Bolt appeared in an Inhumans miniseries that probably isn’t even part of the official MCU canon anymore, and three of the other four haven’t even been introduced yet. That leaves Doctor Strange.

Just Doctor Strange sitting there playing solitaire.

If the idea of The Illuminati is various geniuses, geni?, all in one room...who can it include who isn't already in the room as an Avenger? (Doc, Fury, Banner, Shuri is just another Avengers meeting.) Maybe they will call it Illuminati but is really Warlock & The Infinity Watch?

Okay, I'll make a roster...Doc, Loki...I got nothin'.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:22 PM, Bird said:

Just Doctor Strange sitting there playing solitaire.

If the idea of The Illuminati is various geniuses, geni?, all in one room...who can it include who isn't already in the room as an Avenger? (Doc, Fury, Banner, Shuri is just another Avengers meeting.) Maybe they will call it Illuminati but is really Warlock & The Infinity Watch?

Okay, I'll make a roster...Doc, Loki...I got nothin'.

If this is true, an MCU Illuminati will hardly resemble the comic book version. For one thing, it's certainly not going to be 100% composed of men. Marvel don't work that way no more. For instance, if Shuri becomes ruler of Wakanda, you can expect Shuri to be part of this "Illuminati." Namor for sure could be part of this circle. World leaders. And if Valkyrie is still running Asgard Earth, she could be in the circle. Stephen Strange and Wong could be part of this group. It might look a little like the Defenders. And I wouldn't be surprised if someone from Shang-Chi is part of the circle, like Michele Yeoh's character. 

You can forget about Hank Pym, Black Bolt, and obviously Tony Stark.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:25 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

If this is true, an MCU Illuminati will hardly resemble the comic book version. For one thing, it's certainly not going to be 100% composed of men. Marvel don't work that way no more. For instance, if Shuri becomes ruler of Wakanda, you can expect Shuri to be part of this "Illuminati." Namor for sure could be part of this circle. World leaders. And if Valkyrie is still running Asgard Earth, she could be in the circle. Stephen Strange and Wong could be part of this group. It might look a little like the Defenders. And I wouldn't be surprised if someone from Shang-Chi is part of the circle, like Michele Yeoh's character. 

You can forget about Hank Pym, Black Bolt, and obviously Tony Stark.

Shuri is essentially an Avenger, as are Strange and Wong. There is no Namor yet. Valkyrie is a good guess, I was thinking of someone from Thor and decided against Goldblum or Del Toro's Elders but she fits okay. It is hard to get away from it being Avengers though.

Maybe they put Silvie, from Loki, in it.  And an Eternal I guess.

I don't think it works until we have more "families" to choose from like the did in the comics. 

On 10/20/2021 at 9:34 PM, Bird said:

Shuri is essentially an Avenger, as are Strange and Wong. There is no Namor yet. Valkyrie is a good guess, I was thinking of someone from Thor and decided against Goldblum or Del Toro's Elders but she fits okay. It is hard to get away from it being Avengers though.

Maybe they put Silvie, from Loki, in it.  And an Eternal I guess.

I don't think it works until we have more "families" to choose from like the did in the comics. 

Probably being an Avenger wouldn't preclude one from this special group. Really, Endgame kind of established that anybody who fights along the core Avengers group is an "Avenger" so it's kind of a loose moniker outside of the official government sanctioned group. I guess the Illuminati is a group of high powered high minded individuals that kind of 'cover the bases" when it comes defending the world, the universe, or reality. As the MCU is broadening its scope, I wouldn't be surprised to see characters from across the galaxy or across the Multiverse be part of this group, kind of like an Infinity Watch as you said.

On 2/14/2022 at 12:28 PM, Guardian Comics said:

Well we saw two of those characters in the trailer last night, so I'll assume we are headed this way.  Especially wanting to enlighten Dr. Starnge

Two? We saw Strange...who else? We're all speculating that we "heard" Professor X...