• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Steve Ditko left Spider-man/Marvel
4 4

147 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
33 minutes ago, Inappropriate Spock said:

It's not a shill account. Anyone can change their display name by going into their account settings. >> https://www.cgccomics.com/account/ That's not the same as creating a new 'shill' account.

Anyone? Even you? :baiting:

You can do it too. Try it. You'll like it :baiting:

8 hours ago, thunsicker said:
9 hours ago, jason4 said:

Isnt there tons of topics already on this on this forum?

I'm out 

You DO realize that Prince Namor is Chuck Gower...

I was getting worried.  It’d been six months since he’d started a thread like this.

13 hours ago, musicmeta said:

This is all highly interesting.   Nice to be able to read some of this right here.

It ties in nicely to the thread that Chuck Gower had a few months ago.

13 hours ago, thunsicker said:

You DO realize that Prince Namor is Chuck Gower...

I just noticed that...

lol

13 hours ago, Prince Namor said:

I agree. The growth played a huge part in what happened.

And it's also important to recognize that the growth was likely in large part because of Stan's vision as a marketing genius.

7 hours ago, Inappropriate Spock said:
8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
8 hours ago, Inappropriate Spock said:

It's not a shill account. Anyone can change their display name by going into their account settings. >> https://www.cgccomics.com/account/ That's not the same as creating a new 'shill' account.

Anyone? Even you? :baiting:

You can do it too. Try it. You'll like it 

He's too lazy.

:D

Thank you for posting the article and subsequent posts from others who worked directly with Stan. 

In more recent years I've heard Stan recount the story of Steve doing everything for spiderman and Stan just staying out of the way. Only in those more recent interviews,  Stan puts a positive "everything was great" spin on it. 

I do wonder if Steve's version is a little revisionist. I think he was a pain to work with. Just read the thousands of fan letters he wrote back to everyone and anyone who wrote to him. He had so much contempt for his fans.  

I also agree Stan got incredibly busy.  He just didn't have time to go back and forth with a talented guy who was a major pain to work with.  So I'm sure he reduced interactions with all the artist, but guys like Jack and Steve,  who were at the heart of the original marvel method probably took offense. 

While I'm sure he could have handled things more effectively,  it's somewhat telling that he did trust Steve to do so much with their biggest title.

50 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Thank you for posting the article and subsequent posts from others who worked directly with Stan. 

In more recent years I've heard Stan recount the story of Steve doing everything for spiderman and Stan just staying out of the way. Only in those more recent interviews,  Stan puts a positive "everything was great" spin on it. 

I do wonder if Steve's version is a little revisionist. I think he was a pain to work with. Just read the thousands of fan letters he wrote back to everyone and anyone who wrote to him. He had so much contempt for his fans.

Was Ditko a pain to work with?

That's not what people say. Maybe a pain to get into a debate with, as he was very rigid in his beliefs, but the stories I've read of those who worked with him, is generally pretty positive and reflect a timely professionalism. 

Ditko saw it as a job. A trade that he was qualified to do. He looked at those fan letters as peculiar because he had moved on from that work and people kept wanting to ask him about it. He just didn't see it as necessary or important to talk about. 

50 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I also agree Stan got incredibly busy.  He just didn't have time to go back and forth with a talented guy who was a major pain to work with.  So I'm sure he reduced interactions with all the artist, but guys like Jack and Steve,  who were at the heart of the original marvel method probably took offense. 

While I'm sure he could have handled things more effectively,  it's somewhat telling that he did trust Steve to do so much with their biggest title.

The Marvel Method pretty much trusted ALL of the artists with a great deal of the work. It was interesting in the Herb Trimpe tribute book, that even Roy Thomas admitted to many times just telling Herb, "Oh just have the Hulk fight 'whoever'" and Herb would plot out and break down and draw the whole story. 

At DC, Julius Schwartz once said that if an artist did all the work coming up with a story, even after a story conference with him, and then he had to go back and clean up and add dialogue and change a few things, they called that 'editing', NOT writing.

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I just noticed that...

lol

And it's also important to recognize that the growth was likely in large part because of Stan's vision as a marketing genius.

For sure. It wouldn't have been the same without Stan's part in it.

1 hour ago, Prince Namor said:

Was Ditko a pain to work with?

That's not what people say. Maybe a pain to get into a debate with, as he was very rigid in his beliefs, but the stories I've read of those who worked with him, is generally pretty positive and reflect a timely professionalism. 

Ditko saw it as a job. A trade that he was qualified to do. He looked at those fan letters as peculiar because he had moved on from that work and people kept wanting to ask him about it. He just didn't see it as necessary or important to talk about. 

Well,  truthfully,  I don't know if he was a pain.  I came to that conclusion based on his letters and from Stan's account.  Stan is marketing guy and story teller. He painted a picture that put himself in the best light. 

The most first hand knowledge I have is, I know a guy that met him when he was working for Charlton.  He was a comic fan and was really excited to meet Steve,  which I'm sure turned Steve off. Ditko didn't really engage in conversation and left the room.

Being an introvert doesn't make him a "pain", but I do think if your going to take the time to write responses to hundreds of fans, you could at least be polite.  

People are complicated

21 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Much like John, Paul and George of the Beatles, it took 3 talents like Stan, Jack and Steve to start something big.  Unfortunately, with great success comes great ego, and the glory days don't usually last.  

For the kiddies... the more modern version of what Mercury Man just said was this... 

"The more money you make the more problems you get and jealousy and envy is just something that comes with the territory... It's just this negative energy that surrounds you." - Christopher "Notorious B.I.G." Wallace

Big Up to Brooklyn !

Edited by Buzzetta