• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I found the original reels to Garbancito de la Mancha (The Enchanted Sword) Spain and Europes first animated film from 1945 - at two separate yard sales in New York a year apart from each other
2 2

41 posts in this topic

wait I dont understand you spent 2 years going to yard sales hoping to find these?

2 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Great find...but no actual treasure value as no one is really looking for this.  Your best effort is to contact Heritage or another company that can pump it out for you.

wait what?

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Again... sigh...

"YOU" were not looking for this.  He is right though that people interested in animation find this interesting.  He understood the history of what he had and decided not to try and sell it for a mass profit because it was part of the cultural history of Spain.  He says, "In the end the thought of holding a countries history and culture hostage for $ had me feeling slightly nauseated."  Finding a nation's first full length animated film is akin to if the original reels for Disney's Snow White had become lost.  He felt, as Indiana Jones would say, "That belongs in a museum."

Furthermore, he makes mention of the incredible event of finding half of one obscure item in one place and then stumbling across the other half at a later point.  The odds of that happening are incredible.  It would be like finding half the pages of the original art for Tec 27 at a garage sale in 2020 and then finding the second half at another garage sale, at another location in 2021. 

Does this make sense now?

Now the original art for Tec 27 I would have sold 😂😂😂 

19 hours ago, kav said:

wait I dont understand you spent 2 years going to yard sales hoping to find these?

No... the OP collects this type of stuff and goes to garage sales looking for it much like when I am running errands and see a garage sale in town I will slow down or stop to see if they have comics, toys, legos... things like that. 

18 hours ago, ivegotneatstuff said:

I know haha - In the end the thought of holding a countries history and culture hostage for $ had me feeling slightly nauseated .... I charged them pretty much what I had into it (plus having to store nitrate film in our barn isn’t exactly safe) 

Takes a noble heart to do this and I respect you for that. Most people (myself too, I admit) would have milked people/organizations for it.

One man's garbage is another man/nation's treasure. You can't say it has no value if people will take measures to restore it.

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Again... sigh...

"YOU" were not looking for this.  He is right though that people interested in animation find this interesting.  He understood the history of what he had and decided not to try and sell it for a mass profit because it was part of the cultural history of Spain.  He says, "In the end the thought of holding a countries history and culture hostage for $ had me feeling slightly nauseated."  Finding a nation's first full length animated film is akin to if the original reels for Disney's Snow White had become lost.  He felt, as Indiana Jones would say, "That belongs in a museum."

Furthermore, he makes mention of the incredible event of finding half of one obscure item in one place and then stumbling across the other half at a later point.  The odds of that happening are incredible.  It would be like finding half the pages of the original art for Tec 27 at a garage sale in 2020 and then finding the second half at another garage sale, at another location in 2021. 

Does this make sense now?

I consider myself a generous and generally selfless individual and have done and given many things and refused compensation but I could not have done what OP did.  He is as rare as the items he found.

6 hours ago, kav said:

I consider myself a generous and generally selfless individual and have done and given many things and refused compensation but I could not have done what OP did.  He is as rare as the items he found.

yeah no kidding , i mean just asking for a measly 50k would be fine ,.. which is nothing (pennies) to a country

On 7/22/2020 at 3:10 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

A two year project finally coming to fruition... Spain just started making press releases a couple days ago. I know its not a comic book - but know there are many animation fans here and just wanted to blab about it :) I sold them back to Spain for pretty much what I paid for them plus my costs (I think I saw Hugo and Cinema Paradiso too many times lol)

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jul/21/garbancito-hero-of-europes-first-feature-length-animated-colour-film-to-fight-again

garb.jpg.15cef24890af8895176fa23028a8f15d.jpg

scan0006.jpg.472d89abbcc6fdd5370cc17f12ee698e.jpg

689196756_ScreenShot2020-07-22at6_00_55PM.thumb.png.ec44edd0b531120b4d967bf80350fed7.png

so how did you go about contacting Spain?  If I was Spain i would not trust the mail with such a historical item but send someone over to pick it up.