• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamber of Chills 19 Original Art at HA
5 5

71 posts in this topic

Wow! This has to be the biggest piece of horror OA to come to auction in recent memory. I think it is deserving of its own thread. Anyone care to make a guess on the final hammer price + BP? 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/warren-kremer-and-lee-elias-chamber-of-chills-19-cover-original-art-harvey-1953-/p/7234-112001.s

Edited by The-Collector

:whatthe:   :whatthe:   :whatthe:

Wow! That’s something. No idea as to final hammer. What could be used as a comparison?  Now if Black Cat #50 came up it would shatter this. Seems like a bit of Elias art was found probably in the Harvey warehouse find. 

I will only be able to watch. Heck, I can’t even land a measly copy of the comic anymore. And it is just only one of a small handful of books I need to complete my PCH collection...:sorry:

49 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

Yowzahh

I remember when a bunch of Harvey horror art went up for auction by Christies auction house in NYC in the late 80s, I believe. I wonder if this piece was sold during that time.

The best pieces were removed before the bulk was sold.

I'm going to predict I won't sell as high as many believe.  Matt Baker has been just as hot the past years and the Seven Seas cover did not do well by the consensus!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/matt-baker-seven-seas-comics-5-cover-original-art-universal-phoenix-features-1947-/a/7204-91004.s?ic10=FeaturedPastSalePrices-Thumbnail-052317

1 hour ago, RICK STARR said:

I remember when a bunch of Harvey horror art went up for auction by Christies auction house in NYC

Some of the original art covers, from the Harvey archives ,that were in the first Christies East auction, held on Halloween 1992, were the following:

Black Cat 43, 51, 59

Chamber of Chills 6, 8, 22

Race For The Moon 1, 2, 3

Teen-age Dope Slaves 1, 4, 6

Witches Tales 20

Included with the covers, in some of the lots, was also 20+ pages of interior art, although it is not identified in catalog if same book

Sorry, I thought I had a copy of the prices realized list for this auction

42 minutes ago, Timely said:

I'm going to predict I won't sell as high as many believe.  Matt Baker has been just as hot the past years and the Seven Seas cover did not do well by the consensus!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/matt-baker-seven-seas-comics-5-cover-original-art-universal-phoenix-features-1947-/a/7204-91004.s?ic10=FeaturedPastSalePrices-Thumbnail-052317

You could be right about it under-performing, but this seem like apples to oranges. COC 19 is right on top of the heap of pre-code covers, potentially even top 5 or 10, with a lot of appeal outside the comic community. SS 5, while by Baker, doesn't register nearly as high on the list of "must own" comics. 

One is fast becoming an icon, while one....isn't. 

1 hour ago, Timely said:

I agree.  Just because you can pay $10K for a comic doesn't mean you can pay $100k for art.  But I'm curious if this is being sold by Glenn Danzig, or if he's going to be in the bidding pool.  

41 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Some of the original art covers, from the Harvey archives ,that were in the first Christies East auction, held on Halloween 1992, were the following:

Black Cat 43, 51, 59

Witches Tales 20

Included with the covers, in some of the lots, was also 20+ pages of interior art, although it is not identified in catalog if same book

Dope Slaves must be referring to the interior pages as it was a one shot. 

1 hour ago, buttock said:
1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

Black Cat 43, 51, 59

Witches Tales 20

Dope Slaves must be referring to the interior pages as it was a one shot. 

Good catch! My mistake. Just cover art to #1 for Teen-age Dope Slaves

Can also add OA covers for Black Cat 14, 31 and 39 and Tomb of Terror 1 and 2 were in that Christies auction also

3 hours ago, october said:

You could be right about it under-performing, but this seem like apples to oranges. COC 19 is right on top of the heap of pre-code covers, potentially even top 5 or 10, with a lot of appeal outside the comic community. SS 5, while by Baker, doesn't register nearly as high on the list of "must own" comics. 

But to my knowledge the Seven Seas Cover is the “best” piece of Matt Baker art out there. Not his best, but the best available!

8 minutes ago, Timely said:

But to my knowledge the Seven Seas Cover is the “best” piece of Matt Baker art out there. Not his best, but the best available!

Well, the good news is we will have an answer shortly! It will be an interesting auction to watch. 

3 hours ago, october said:

Art is also a one of a kind item unlike comic books so under or over performing is sometimes much more about people’s opinions vs actual market sales. There’s no GPA for Chamber of Chills #19 original cover art other than its last single sale price. 

I am curious though to see if this cover gets high comics collectors interest and possible outside interest as well given its Misfits connection and its fair amount of merchandising over the years with posters, shirts, etc.

Matt Baker as popular as he’s become in recent years is still confined to a segment of comic collectors. He’s not internationally collected like Superman or Batman items are be it art or comics.

3 hours ago, buttock said:

But I'm curious if this is being sold by Glenn Danzig, or if he's going to be in the bidding pool.  

Definitely not the seller, and probably too tight to be the buyer.