• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamber of Chills 19 Original Art at HA
5 5

71 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Art is also a one of a kind item unlike comic books so under or over performing is sometimes much more about people’s opinions vs actual market sales. There’s no GPA for Chamber of Chills #19 original cover art other than its last single sale price. 

I am curious though to see if this cover gets high comics collectors interest and possible outside interest as well given its Misfits connection and its fair amount of merchandising over the years with posters, shirts, etc.

Matt Baker as popular as he’s become in recent years is still confined to a segment of comic collectors. He’s not internationally collected like Superman or Batman items are be it art or comics.

Yeah.  FMV for a unique item is determined by the underbidder.  If they’ve got deep pockets, it’s anybody’s guess.  But if you were putting a retail price on it... 

1 minute ago, buttock said:

Yeah.  FMV for a unique item is determined by the underbidder.  If they’ve got deep pockets, it’s anybody’s guess.  But if you were putting a retail price on it... 

As a uninformed spectator I’ll say it beats the Baker piece and gets over 50k easily. If I’m wrong I clearly stand on my uninformed logic...:nyah:

7 hours ago, Timely said:

I'm going to predict I won't sell as high as many believe.  Matt Baker has been just as hot the past years and the Seven Seas cover did not do well by the consensus!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/matt-baker-seven-seas-comics-5-cover-original-art-universal-phoenix-features-1947-/a/7204-91004.s?ic10=FeaturedPastSalePrices-Thumbnail-052317

I'm not sure this is a sound comparison. The SS cover is not nearly as iconic as CoC 19. 

The only good comp that comes immediately to mind is the Teenage Dope Salves cover which sold in the high 46k. And Planet 1 was 146k three years ago. I think this is both more iconic than the TADS and has broader cross cultural appeal than Planet 1. So I wouldn't be surprised at something in the 200k range. 

57 minutes ago, N e r V said:

As a uninformed spectator I’ll say it beats the Baker piece and gets over 50k easily. If I’m wrong I clearly stand on my uninformed logic...:nyah:

I think it will outperform the Baker cover too but would be surprised if it got over 100k. For that kind money you could get a killer EC horror/sci-if cover by a better artist than Elias such as Williamson.

Also if you read the description, the top 40% of the cover is a modern day replacement “affixed” to the board... whatever that means! 

Edited by Timely

41 minutes ago, Timely said:

I think it will outperform the Baker cover too but would be surprised if it got over 100k. For that kind money you could get a killer EC horror/sci-if cover by a better artist than Elias such as Williamson.

Also if you read the description, the top 40% of the cover is a modern day replacement “affixed” to the board... whatever that means! 

Servers me right for skimming the description. With that in mind I'd round down a bit from 200k. Though I'd still lean towards it breaking 100k. 

Edited by The-Collector

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And it is just only one of a small handful of books I need to complete my PCH collection...:sorry:

Well, if you really want one, they should be out there since I believe this book was included as part of some huge warehouse find.  :gossip:

I guess it really depends if you are willing to spend the kind of money that it seems to be going for nowadays, even with graded copies totalling almost 100 copies.  :p

Ballpark $50k, maybe $75k with spirited bidding. The cover art to Weird Mysteries 4 only did $33k and is a stronger image. I’m a PCH collector and CoC 19 has never been a “must buy” book for me. It’s not even a top 5 Harvey cover for me, nor even the best cover in the run (23 and 24 both have stronger images, IMHO)

1 hour ago, The-Collector said:

Servers me right for skimming the description. With that in mind I'd round down a bit from 200k. Though I'd still lean towards it breaking 100k. 

1 hour ago, Timely said:

I understood it as the original logo had fallen off at some point with a replacement made to it. Nothing to do with the art and not that uncommon in original comic art with the paste ups sometimes missing over the years. I would think having a modern replacement for it would be better than having it missing. Will it impact the value? No idea. Sure you’d like everything original still there but as I said not exactly rare in original art to have something like that gone after all these years. Still one of a kind so we’ll see. If I wanted it bad enough that’s hardly a deal breaker. 

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

I think Bedrock should buy it and hang it in his Texas villa right next to his Action comics cover art...:baiting:

241980C5-68E7-4A0B-B003-3ABE1CA27DC4.thumb.jpeg.0f903365688ab58e3efc91ac43611cee.jpeg

464868E2-3447-495D-97CD-CE4C516483E9.jpeg.9045cbb80441f8049cc9622ec1cf132d.jpeg

(thumbsu

9 hours ago, Timely said:

But to my knowledge the Seven Seas Cover is the “best” piece of Matt Baker art out there. Not his best, but the best available!

Seven Seas 6 art exists and would be a better piece, despite the white-out.

8 hours ago, The-Collector said:

I'm not sure this is a sound comparison. The SS cover is not nearly as iconic as CoC 19. 

The only good comp that comes immediately to mind is the Teenage Dope Salves cover which sold in the high 46k. And Planet 1 was 146k three years ago. I think this is both more iconic than the TADS and has broader cross cultural appeal than Planet 1. So I wouldn't be surprised at something in the 200k range. 

Agree, my prediction is 150 although, you know, I could be off by 100k here or there .   I hear all the reasons it should be under 100 and maybe that is what will happen but I see this one attracting a lot of interest nevertheless.   If a GA horror piece was going to surprise , it would be something like this...

Edited by Bronty

7 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Ballpark $50k, maybe $75k with spirited bidding. The cover art to Weird Mysteries 4 only did $33k and is a stronger image. I’m a PCH collector and CoC 19 has never been a “must buy” book for me. It’s not even a top 5 Harvey cover for me, nor even the best cover in the run (23 and 24 both have stronger images, IMHO)

That’s the comp that I can’t get past.  I understand that this image might sit better with a broader audience, but WM4 is a more iconic cover IMO.  At least to comic people. 

30 minutes ago, buttock said:

That’s the comp that I can’t get past.  I understand that this image might sit better with a broader audience, but WM4 is a more iconic cover IMO.  At least to comic people. 

I'm surprised you both think that. The WM4 cover sold in 2013 so is reasonably distant. Also the cover didn't present very well with the large brown glue stains. I also think WM4 is a far inferior image and not not a cover I think of as falling into the upper echelons of classic covers (though it is good). 

46 minutes ago, october said:

I think there is a large age gap when it comes to the appeal of COC 19. The under-40 crowd treats it as a serious grail, while the older heads often dismiss it....probably because it was so plentiful and so cheap for so many years. I made it priority to get a high grade copy about a decade ago, prior to the run up, but that's in part because I like the Misfits. It's a polarizing book, at least as far as an old comic can be "polarizing". 

I love it too and I believe I own one of your old copies (purchased through Foolkiller). Even though I’m an “older head”. :sorry:

9 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Ballpark $50k, maybe $75k with spirited bidding

I don't really have a good grasp on the OA market but I suspect the CGC 9.6 copy of CoC 19 itself nowadays might approach 50k.  After all look what this went for, and generally 19 still goes for more than 23 does.

I'd personally  rather have the OA to any book vs any particular copy of the book no matter how pristine, and I'd think OA should always go for way more than any single copy of a book would, although I'll admit I have a hard time understanding  how the Church copy of Planet 1 went for pretty close to the same price that the OA did most recently, like 120k vs 140k I believe.

image.png.d3dec7cec5927e9293d47eef8fc8b1ce.png

2 hours ago, october said:

I think there is a large age gap when it comes to the appeal of COC 19. The under-40 crowd treats it as a serious grail, while the older heads often dismiss it....probably because it was so plentiful and so cheap for so many years. I made it priority to get a high grade copy about a decade ago, prior to the run up, but that's in part because I like the Misfits. It's a polarizing book, at least as far as an old comic can be "polarizing". 

3 hours ago, The-Collector said:

I'm surprised you both think that. The WM4 cover sold in 2013 so is reasonably distant. Also the cover didn't present very well with the large brown glue stains. I also think WM4 is a far inferior image and not not a cover I think of as falling into the upper echelons of classic covers (though it is good). 

I’m in a similar boat. I’ve owned it many times over the years and was surprised by what I had to pay for a decent 6.0 in 2014. I can live with it despite owning much higher grades prior to this one.

Yes the cover has become much more iconic to collectors over time but I can say as far back as the 1990’s when copies were still cheap it was an issue that was sought out and sold better than surrounding issues. People just liked the cover. If I threw a copy of it up during the SDCC on my backboard it was gone, gone very quickly in the 1990’s. I’ve been aware of the book myself since the 1980’s. It’s why when I “re-entered” collecting over the last few years I went after a copy for my collection again. So it’s not as “old school” as Black Cat #50 which was popular back to the 70’s/60’s but it’s still been rising for a few decades now...

Anyway so far here the boards range is 50k to 150k so if it falls within that range someone can say “I told you so” depending on where it falls. Otherwise something like 25k would be a under performing here and 175k or more is over performing.