• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamber of Chills 19 Original Art at HA
5 5

71 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, szav said:

I don't really have a good grasp on the OA market but I suspect the CGC 9.6 copy of CoC 19 itself nowadays might approach 50k.  After all look what this went for, and generally 19 still goes for more than 23 does.

I'd personally  rather have the OA to any book vs any particular copy of the book no matter how pristine, and I'd think OA should always go for way more than any single copy of a book would, although I'll admit I have a hard time understanding  how the Church copy of Planet 1 went for pretty close to the same price that the OA did most recently, like 120k vs 140k I believe.

image.png.d3dec7cec5927e9293d47eef8fc8b1ce.png

Wow, not much of a horror fan myself, but were most of these Chamber of Chills books part of a warehouse find or something?  ???

Just checked a recent census count through HA on this CC 23 and there's already 75 slabbed copies of this little beauty of a book here, while the CC 19 is sitting at 98 graded copies which kind of seems to be on the high side for a GA book.  Still, scarce relative to demand though, I would imagine.  hm 

4 hours ago, The-Collector said:

I'm surprised you both think that. The WM4 cover sold in 2013 so is reasonably distant. Also the cover didn't present very well with the large brown glue stains. I also think WM4 is a far inferior image and not not a cover I think of as falling into the upper echelons of classic covers (though it is good). 

If this were x-men or batman related I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go nuts.  But vintage art doesn’t typically have the volatility of the newer market, so I think a more linear growth is reasonable to expect.  Double value in 7 years is really solid growth, so I think $60-75k is a fair expectation.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go lower or higher.  Again, the underbidder will determine the price.  One guy with deep pockets or insatiable nostalgia isn’t good for an auction.  Two is.  Unless you know who’s bidding, it’s all a guess.

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Anyway so far here the boards range is 50k to 150k so if it falls within that range someone can say “I told you so” depending on where it falls. Otherwise something like 25k would be a under performing here and 175k or more is over performing.

Its not going to go for 25.   I'd pay 25 and this is not something I'd typically go for.

5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Its not going to go for 25.   I'd pay 25 and this is not something I'd typically go for.

I agree. Posted only for example to the under/over perform comments earlier.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, not much of a horror fan myself, but were most of these Chamber of Chills books part of a warehouse find or something?

Yep, it seemed like a foolish price to pay for a highest graded copy of something that there are likely many better copies of out there, just look at the census for other Harvey books from the same time frame 9.4s and 9.6s galore, not many 9.8s on account of PQ being cr/ow for 99%+ of these books, ...but there's only one original cover for each book.

I will put my wild uninformed guess at $228k...because that's how cool I think it is even if I can never have it.

Edited by szav

To bad they don’t have another copy of #19 at auction at the same time as the original art.

So how hot is this book? Heritage just sold this 4.5 a few weeks ago for just over 6k. Not sure how everyone feels about this copy but this is not a great looking 4.5 IMO (I’ve seen 3.0’s I like better) and the book still went down over 6k. :o

12E818C8-EF3F-4566-8154-C8AEFDBB9FD7.thumb.jpeg.4041dfd7540ffb9a7e189ba1874bac3a.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

27 minutes ago, Betty-Bates said:

Screenshot_20200729-154519_Instagram.jpg

Thank you for sharing this, that is an amazing piece of OA.

I’ve been trying to find a nice cheap Harvey romance cover for a while.  I do wonder if CoC19 goes huge how that might affect the whole GA OA market.

Edited by szav

3 minutes ago, szav said:

Thank you for sharing this, that is an amazing piece of OA.

Ive been trying to find a nice cheap Harvey romance cover for a while.  I do wonder if CoC19 goes huge how that might affect the whole GA OA market.

Not smart to put water and OA in the same analogy, but, a rising tide and all 😁 OA has already skyrocketed from where it was just a few years ago.  Unless there is a crazy aweful recession (which I do not wish for because many of my friends are dealers and I care for them more than I care for my collection!) I don't see it substantially coming back to where it was. The Frezetta also kicked that rock over the edge in a pretty dramatic fashion! The coc19 is much closer to my tastes than Frezetta, so I was hoping the market would leave my stuff alone for at least a little while longer, but, doesn't seem as if that is the case.

11 minutes ago, Betty-Bates said:

I don't see it substantially coming back to where it was.

Yeah by cheap I mean even 2-3 k.  Haven’t see any of the good earlier Harvey romance covers come up in a long time, so I don’t know what fmv for those would even be.

Elias and Avison has some nice ones.  And with the abundance of high grade Harvey file copies, OA really stands out as the pinnacle of Harvey collecting to me.  On the bright side it does look like there is a lot of it out there.  Congrats again on grabbing the Teen-age Dope Slaves when you did.  

53 minutes ago, Betty-Bates said:

I very much agree with the person who said that the interest in COC 19 seems to be generational. My husband is also a collector and he doesn't have the same love for it as I do. However, my love is strong enough for the both of us! 🤣😂🤣 It's very easy to see that the younger generation likes it more and it does have to do with the book being relatively easy to come by and cheap not that long ago. I'm a little bit of a hoarder when it comes to books so I still have many copies of it. I like it because the art is just clean and crisp looking and it speaks to me. I'm not gonna speculate what it will go for because I do plan on going after it, but I know that there are others who have deep pockets and love PCH who could easily outbid me. 

Screenshot_20200729-154519_Instagram.jpg

Wow (on multiple copies); double-wow on the Dope Slaves.

I have seen your posts on FB; always great comics, always so many copies. lol. Oh to have that "problem."

59 minutes ago, szav said:

Yeah by cheap I mean even 2-3 k.  Haven’t see any of the good earlier Harvey romance covers come up in a long time, so I don’t know what fmv for those would even be.

Elias and Avison has some nice ones.  And with the abundance of high grade Harvey file copies, OA really stands out as the pinnacle of Harvey collecting to me.  On the bright side it does look like there is a lot of it out there.  Congrats again on grabbing the Teen-age Dope Slaves when you did.  

Thanks! It has become very difficult to find any decent cover under 5k these days, but good luck!! 

Edited by Betty-Bates