• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Alf 48 soon to be a 1k book in 9.8?
4 4

101 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 90sChild said:

Don't try to bring logic into this.  I know for the venom variant reprints prices are purely based on panic speculation buying of the Knull character.  The only ones buying it for $800 are the people trying to flip it for $1000.  People buying it for $1000 are hoping to flip it for $1200, it will keep going and going until someone is left holding the bag and prices crash.  Everyone has the fear of missing out on it like this character is going to take over the future universe of all venom stories

Yup.  The basic mechanics of the process that we’ve seen go into overdrive in many different ways; film characters, pre-Code horror covers, GGA, modern artist variants, Zenescope, and moving onto smut covers is predictable once the other speculation wells have started to run dry.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

These covers are mildly amusing for a few seconds, but a bit of innuendo doesn’t justify paying through the nose for a copy. They’re not that funny.

I agree. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Isn't Harry Potter meant for children? 

I think it started out that way, and very evident in her first book.   But as the demographic aged so did the content.  Got a bit darker.  Kind of like comics did from the Silver Age to the Copper Age. 

17 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  The basic mechanics of the process that we’ve seen go into overdrive in many different ways; film characters, pre-Code horror covers, GGA, modern artist variants, and moving onto smut covers is predictable once the other speculation wells have started to run dry.

To be fair... I think the pre-code horror covers have some merit due to a bunch of factors.  I have thought they have been undervalued for years because many of the best ones were not published by the big two. 

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

:whatthe:

I tried. I could NOT get into Harry Potter and will probably never see them.

Still haven't seen Breaking Bad either. lol 

I know a lot of intelligent people that respect the hell out of who have seen them.  A surgeon, law enforcement, lawyer...  They have been trying to get me to watch them for years.  Since it is on HBO Max and leaving shortly, I am going to give it a try.

2 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Thought it was a bit over-rated myself.   

I started to read the graphic novel... got interrupted and immediately moved on... When the movie came out, I said I will watch it after I read the graphic novel... when the sequel comic series came out I said I will read that after I tackle the other stuff... When the TV series came out I said the same... 

At this point... it seems like more work than I really want to invest in it. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

I'm told that they 'grow up' with the audience and become much darker as they go on. 

10 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

To be fair... I think the pre-code horror covers have some merit due to a bunch of factors.  I have thought they have been undervalued for years because many of the best ones were not published by the big two. 

A poor example, maybe.

Some of them, such as Crime SuspenStories 22, are also very readable, good stories and art inside.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

A poor example, maybe.

Some of them, such as Crime SuspenStories 22, are also very readable, good stories and art inside

I have found a lot of them were.   "The Guilty" in Shock Suspenstories 3 resonates today especially in light of current events.  For 1951? 53? It was a smack to the back of the head to some of the readership especially with how the story ends if I remember correctly.  Even post code books such as Impact 1 with 'Master Race' immediately come to mind.  As we look back, while we can argue about the motivations, they were groundbreaking for their time. 

2 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Don't try to bring logic into this.  I know for the venom variant reprints prices are purely based on panic speculation buying of the Knull character.  The only ones buying it for $800 are the people trying to flip it for $1000.  People buying it for $1000 are hoping to flip it for $1200, it will keep going and going until someone is left holding the bag and prices crash.  Everyone has the fear of missing out on it like this character is going to take over the future universe of all venom stories.  You're better off trying to day-trade Tesla stock if you want to pretend to be a genius equities speculator buying that book.  

Why are you yelling at me?

1 hour ago, october said:
7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

ALF 48 is the Copper Age Rifleman 10

I've lots of copies of both, and I have sold them as fast as I get them....in any grade. I have zero personal interest, but plenty of people seem to want them. 

Same here. Two of the most liquid books on the market, and it's been that way for years.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:
3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I'm told that they 'grow up' with the audience and become much darker as they go on. 

Yes, the first Harry Potter book takes place when he is 11 years old.  It is written for 11 year olds and the movie is for 11 year olds.

The second book is for 12 year olds, etc.  By the time of the 7th book - he's 17, and he's in a battle for his life (again), but pretty much "adult enough" to make it less than a children's book, and the movie is much darker.

Alf 48? Checked my database and I only have Alf # 7..dang. Oh well, but I do have a few of the Archie innuendo cover comics. 

As for Harry Potter, I would have never even read it had my kids not been at the right age where I read to them, being born in the 90's. The books are good and the movies are really good, in my opinion.