• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Alf 48 soon to be a 1k book in 9.8?
4 4

101 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2020 at 11:18 PM, oakman29 said:

I blame the CGC boards for the speculation of certain books. Hello Rifleman, Alf, Hulk 377 3rd print etc. etc.

Exactly what I was going to say. I know the Board's influence on speculators has waned in the age of FB, Instagram, spec websites, etc but there's no question that the Boards brought these books to the attention of many collectors. It seemed like it was a challenge to find one so you could post the pic here, then we'd all laugh, and then everyone would go back to their lives. I've been hunting for Alf 48 and Rifleman for 10+ years because of reading about them here. However, I won't pay more than $1 for Alf. I'm convinced he's out there in a dollar bin waiting for me to find him.

1 hour ago, icefires said:

I like this one. 

Alf not so much.

1458914922_BettyandMe16CGC8.5OWW1213749005F.jpg.7445aecbb4e0e15b15113c2bf19e774d.jpg

I always liked this one. Sold my copy last year, probably should have kept it. 

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I always liked this one. Sold my copy last year, probably should have kept it. 

I had two 8.5's. Kept the best one and sold the other on Heritage.

It sold for $956  - no quite $1,000, but close.

Edited by icefires

13 hours ago, icefires said:

I like this one. 

Alf not so much.

1458914922_BettyandMe16CGC8.5OWW1213749005F.jpg.7445aecbb4e0e15b15113c2bf19e774d.jpg

The boards made me money by putting that book my radar.  I bought a rough copy for $3 at a comic shop that must not have known about it being in demand. I never would have looked twice at it, except I was familiar with it from these boards. I think at the time it was probably a $25 dollar book in lower grade.  I ended up selling it in a MCS auction for about $100 after it ran up past  my dollar threshold for amusement value of the cover.

On 7/24/2020 at 7:50 AM, musicmeta said:

So what is the deal with this Alf #48 book?  1st appearance of somebody?,  hot artist?,  ton of Alf collectors out there and #48 is all they need, something else?  ...what?

Seal/Alien fetish

On 7/24/2020 at 4:05 PM, MusterMark said:

Oh, you muggles will just never get it.

This was the exact reason I avoided the books and the films until last year. All these kids walking around thinking they’re cool calling you a muggle. That scene of kids obsessed with HP made me hard nope it for 20 years 

7 hours ago, Hamlet said:

after it ran up past  my dollar threshold for amusement value of the cover.

Yup.

They are amusing covers, but they’re not that funny.

Any of them.

Always nice to see them posted on the boards, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 10:00 AM, Buzzetta said:

I'm told that they 'grow up' with the audience and become much darker as they go on. 

Exactly right.  I saw all of the movies a few years ago and each is progressively darker than its predecessor.  Additionally, the child actors were "OK", but I find the adult actors really carried the movies, with excellent performances from well-known lead actors such as:

-Robbie Coltrane

-Gary Oldman

-Alan Rickman (RIP)

-Maggie Smith

-Ralph Fiennes

-Jason Isaacs

1 hour ago, spracknetch23 said:

There are very few things I'm willing to drop $1k on though (I'm still back on iPhone 6 because I'm too cheap to upgrade).

If you still have a headphone jack, you already have the latest iPhone upgrade.

Edited by valiantman

10 hours ago, Hamlet said:

The boards made me money by putting that book my radar.  I bought a rough copy for $3 at a comic shop that must not have known about it being in demand. I never would have looked twice at it, except I was familiar with it from these boards. I think at the time it was probably a $25 dollar book in lower grade.  I ended up selling it in a MCS auction for about $100 after it ran up past  my dollar threshold for amusement value of the cover.

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.

They are amusing covers, but they’re not that funny.

Any of them.

Always nice to see them posted on the boards, though.

Yes, this is it precisely. I like that Archie book, but I liked the $250 more. I'd also like the Alf and Rifleman, but like I said, I'm holding off for a dollar bin find on Alf, and I'm hoping to dig Rifleman out of a toy mall for $10 at some point. Seems like I always run into beat up westerns and tv books at those places. 

15 hours ago, oldbsturgeon said:

On 7/24/2020 at 1:05 PM, MusterMark said:

Oh, you muggles will just never get it.

This was the exact reason I avoided the books and the films until last year. All these kids walking around thinking they’re cool calling you a muggle. That scene of kids obsessed with HP made me hard nope it for 20 years 

I guess I was/am one of THOSE kids ....

:sorry:

:nyah:

On 7/23/2020 at 4:53 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

40F09B8B-ABF2-4560-974E-746EF30E7AA7.jpeg

I guess the seal became his CHUM :banana: