• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noob observation

39 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

As a new collector, or arguably an old dabbler turned serious, I’m ordering art online for the first time.  Before now I obtained art in person. Anyway, I’ve noticed that no matter how detailed the pictures of the artwork are, or how much I look at the pictures before the piece is delivered, seeing the artwork for the first time with my own eyes has I am much stronger impact on me.  Seems that every time I open the package I can’t  wait to show  the new art to my wife and kids.   Seems like it always looks better in person. 

The rabbit hole goes deep...

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Bigger is better.

Agreed.

Every time I get a twice-up page, it is just floors me on the size. About two months ago I purchased an EC complete story (first EC art though I want some for many years). It is even bigger than twice-up and it was like "holy cr*p". My first thought was, I HAVE to get more of these!

And I have lots of paintings, so I am use to having bigger than standard art, but when they are large and Black & White (inked art), love the large size.

I generally find a similar (perhaps inverse?) thing with wine in that it usually tastes better in the tasting room as opposed to when I buy a bottle and bring it home.  But I agree with you on the art observation.  I don't think I've ever purchased a piece of OA or fine art online, received it at home and was disappointed.  Usually the opposite.

10 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

As a new collector, or arguably an old dabbler turned serious, I’m ordering art online for the first time.  Before now I obtained art in person. Anyway, I’ve noticed that no matter how detailed the pictures of the artwork are, or how much I look at the pictures before the piece is delivered, seeing the artwork for the first time with my own eyes has a much stronger impact on me.  Seems that every time I open the package I can’t  wait to show  the new art to my wife and kids.   Seems like it always looks better in person. 

It can be absolutely thrilling!!

Things to look forward to.

The art almost always looks better in person. Older art has editorial notes which are cool. John Buscema art from the sixties usually has additional artwork on the back of the page. Sketches of characters, nothing wasted.

The bad; art can arrive damaged due to poor packaging. The art can be lost and stolen.

Mold or poor “restoration” attempts I.e glue added at a later date then original production to hold on paste ups can damage paper/board.

Just requires due diligence. The board has many experts to guide you through a great experience vs. a bad one.

9 hours ago, sfilosa said:

Agreed.

Every time I get a twice-up page, it is just floors me on the size. About two months ago I purchased an EC complete story (first EC art though I want some for many years). It is even bigger than twice-up and it was like "holy cr*p". My first thought was, I HAVE to get more of these!

And I have lots of paintings, so I am use to having bigger than standard art, but when they are large and Black & White (inked art), love the large size.

I've owned several hundreds pages of EC art during my years collecting (now nearly all gone bar two complete 1940s issues of pre-trend art).  Best surprises are when you come across drawings on the back.  Johnny Craig was a good bet for extra art :)

11 hours ago, Dayzen said:

I agree. I love opening up the package and seeing it for the first time. I guess one of my guilty pleasures is seeing what's on the back of the piece. As an example, I just got this Cockrum piece and found this on the back. I got a nice laugh out of it.

116044771_3098527106869435_2404520252775501913_o.jpg.d7113761a76b065f1646002c6ff4cfef.jpg

The best part of that is it doesn’t reduce its marketability! 

On 7/23/2020 at 10:26 PM, Westy Steve said:

As a new collector, or arguably an old dabbler turned serious, I’m ordering art online for the first time.  Before now I obtained art in person. Anyway, I’ve noticed that no matter how detailed the pictures of the artwork are, or how much I look at the pictures before the piece is delivered, seeing the artwork for the first time with my own eyes has a much stronger impact on me.  Seems that every time I open the package I can’t  wait to show  the new art to my wife and kids.   Seems like it always looks better in person. 

Have we scared you yet? lol

The worst part is that what many of us thought was “really expensive” when we started out, begins to seem like bargain prices, before very long.

People often find themselves normalizing what once seemed expensive, and start drifting over into prices that the next guy looking in from the outside would consider insane. And not really notice the escalation along the way.

Once you start swimming in OA, you may just leave the kiddie pool, the deep end, and find yourself out in the ocean with the rest of us, occasionally getting to catch a wave! :)

7 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

No, but I feel like I’m trying to swim in the deep in to the collectibles pool. Everything is so expensive

You shouldn’t feel that way. I have stayed in the shallow end for years, and happily so, since I refuse to treat this hobby as an investment, and I don’t see the high value in old pieces just for the sake of nostalgia even if there is an active bidding market for it.

As far as I’m concerned, modern artists often produce better art than some of the old stuff because the layouts and dramatic effort in pages has generally become looser and better. There is a thread every year in which people post their best purchases under $300 or so. Some very nice work indeed.

I think the hardest part is to not get carried away by names, and to look at a panel page as to how well it tells a story, while looking at a cover or full splash as to its visual impact (much like fine art). Then, consider your own tastes.

Edited by Rick2you2