• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RallyRd - that old idea about partial ownership of comics is a reality (updated July 21, 2021)
6 6

575 posts in this topic

The reason comics aren't $10,000,000 right now is that no one person with $10,000,000 wants to pay $10,000,000 for one.

How much money have a bunch of regular people put into digital currency?  Ownership in literal ones and zeroes of nothingness?  What's that?  Bitcoin is worth $176,000,000,000?

You guys really don't see how a bunch of people wanting pieces of Action Comics #1 could be $10,000,000 almost overnight, when digital numbers of nothing (called 'bitcoin') is already at $176 Billion?

Sorry... if you don't see it... I can't shine a brighter light than that.

This has the potential to be one of the biggest changes to collectibles market (physical asset markets) of all time.  24/7 immediate trading of ownership in real world items, held in vaults, museums, Swiss banks, and digitally owned by anyone on the planet.

The Mona Lisa would be $1B in weeks.  CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 would be $10M.  Every single item that has been priced beyond 99.9% of the collectors in that market would skyrocket in value if people could instantly own it and instantly sell it when they're ready.

Cryptocurrency has proven that people will invest hundreds of billions of dollars in an idea based on owning nothing.  This would be owning something.  It's intrinsically already better than a two hundred billion dollar idea.

3 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Okay now I'm just convinced that you're high. :roflmao:

Watch and learn.  Check back in 10 years after the 24/7 digital exchange opens.

Einstein said something about "Great spirits encountering violent opposition..." but I'll let you Google the rest and see for yourself.

Edited by valiantman

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Watch and learn.  Check back in 10 years after the 24/7 digital exchange opens.

Einstein said something about "Great spirits encountering violent opposition..." but I'll let you Google the rest and see for yourself.

It's just not collecting. It's investing. Your talking to collectors... of course you'll get push back. 

I've never put a dollar into bitcoin. Don't trust it.  Has bitcoins growth proven me to be a mediocre mind?  Maybe, but my investments have done really well and I've never lost sleep over not investing it bitcoin.

I'm not going to put my $$ behind this either.  It doesn't change my collecting or investing strategy. And if it is crazy successful, I wont lose sleep over this either.  

Has anyone's investments not done well lately?

There's no intelligence involved in making money in a bull market.  Money in, more money out.  You might be a genius, but this market isn't the proof you need.

@Gatsby77

Looking back, let's say you could put $1,000 into ANY key comic CGC graded at the 2005 GPA price, with a 20%-40% markup. (Overpay by 20% to 40% on the 2005 price.)

Which key issues would you be underwater on today?

If you could do the same today, which key issues do you think will be underwater in 2035?

29 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

You're equating two things that have literally nothing to do with each other (and also showing a fundamental misunderstanding of Bitcoin at the same time). 

Here's the thing - people want to own the comics because they want the actual comics. Once you detach the ownership from the comic itself the interest in owning it is going to plummet. 

I believe you are remarkably wrong here. Smart money will always be chasing investment opportunities. Comics are the same as literally anything else. It doesn't matter what the thing is. All that matters is the return.

If they do this right people will make a lot of money. I'm not sure how they're making their money - they must have a significant equity piece in everything they move. I wouldn't put money into stupid stuff, but I'm with valiantman - fractional ownership of keys will push the price of those keys up. I'm not sure I would want to buy a $22,000 Spider-Man 1, but I'd buy a 5% share of a Spider-Man 1 for $1100. That book sells for $27K - I'm dumping my shares and taking my $250 profit and going home. Repeat repeat repeat.

Wow, I hadn't heard of Rallyrd before. Seems like this type of business model is unfortunately becoming more popular with collectibles.

A while back I was reading about another fractional share investment company called Mythic Markets (https://mythicmarkets.com/marketplace). I haven't checked their website in a while, but it looks like they are currently selling shares of an AF 15 graded at 7.0. They were doing Magic the Gathering related shares and there was a lot of discussion on Reddit about their legitimacy. Here's a link to a thread made by the co-founder: https://old.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/gx6c5f/im_the_cofounder_ceo_of_mythic_markets_ama/?sort=top

13 hours ago, vheflin said:

what could go wrong?

Why, you fool.............absolutely nothing at all.  :applause:

I am all in, just as soon as I contact Greg Buls or whatever his name was so that I can finally cash out those comic book 'mutual funds" he was trying to set up for all of those red hot pre-printed Image and pre-Unity Valiant books that he was hoping investors would buy into before the books even hit the shelves of the LCS's.  hm  :screwy:

After almost 30 loooooong years of holding this comic book mutual fund, they must be worth millions by now :tonofbricks: and I can transfer my winnings over now to get in on the ground floor of this latest comic book "investment" scam scheme.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

13 hours ago, david20009 said:

What sort of commission are they taking.  Some of those prices look pretty strong.  Do they buy the book for X and then sell shares in it at X plus a decent mark-up?

I think I would be a seller not a buyer at each of those prices.  

14 hours ago, valiantman said:

The CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 sold 1,000 shares at $65 each ($65,000) to 143 investors in about 2 minutes.

Well, if this is the case, then it would appear they make their money by selling the shares at $65 a pop.  From reading the TMNT 1 thread on the CA boards, it sounds as though this particular copy of TMNT 1 was the one which was purchased from CC or Metro for $59K earlier this year.  So, if they sold 1,000 shares at $65 a share for a total price of $65K, then their gross margin would be $6K.  Not sure if there would be any profit left if they have to cover expenses like storage, insurance, administration fees, etc.  (shrug)

All I know for sure is that the person who sold it through Metro or CC for only $59K in a non-auction sale lost money on it big time since they had paid $90K for it a few months earlier in that outlier of an auction result at Heritage back in the summer of 2019.  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Those $39 shares would be $50 by the end of the week on a 24/7 digital exchange.  $1,000 worth of modern variants would be worth $10 overnight if there was a way to put that $1,000 into the best copy of Action Comics #1 thus far instead.

Do you know why people are so focused on the stock price instead of the market capitalization?  Because they think stock price = company value. 

$39 for shares of Action Comics #1 or $1,000 for Spider-Man #985 Ribbidy-bop Variant?  No brainer, I'll take 25 shares of Action Comics #1, and a case of soda, please.

I would rather have $1,000 dollars of worth of modern Valiant variants than a tiny fractional share of Action #1.  For me money into comics = hobby.  Yes people can make money flipping comics but it is easier to do with other securities unless you are focusing on it full time. 

I like people who think stock price, not market cap = value.  It why people like me can run hedge funds (and then turn those profits into worthless modern Valiant comics :kidaround: ).

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

This has the potential to be one of the biggest changes to collectibles market (physical asset markets) of all time.

There's an even more sure fire way to change the landscape of the comic book market in terms of seeing huge price increases going forward.  hm

Just have the government allow comic books to be registered investments that investors can place into their retirement funds or tax-free savings accounts like stocks and bonds and you'll have knowledgeable comic collectors buying into them like wildfire before the general public can figure out which ones to buy and jump onto the bandwagon.  :flipbait:  :whee:

Basically I am looking at RallyRd as another competitor//customer to sell books to since I am not the one who is listing the book on "their exchange" and pricing the IPO.  Their are going to look for quality assets to sell since I don't think they are going to be selling shares in Eternals #1 9.4's (Not picking on this book fyi).  The auction houses will welcome them with open arms since they can be more aggressive in their buying since their IPO bakes in their profit margin they are making upfront.  

Valiantman seems to be more excited to trade the shares then the underlying asset.  These shares are all tied to the asset.  For the shares to trade up or down the asset eventually has to sell.  Using the TMNT #1 9.8 as an example the asset/IPO is priced at $65K/10K shares = $65,  if one sells at auction for $75K then your shares are worth $75/1000 shares.  But the kool aid is if there are "traders" who will pay more for the shares then the underlying asset is worth.  You might as well call them options or as another posted earlier you are basically shorting of going long on the stock betting on what the asset will sell for.  This is also being run by 3 guys who have how much capitalization?  Once Rallyrd sells the IPO unless they are buying shares they have no "skin in the game".  Their risk in this assuming they put up the money to buy the asset is that nobody buys the shares.  Are they going to have "comic analysts" coming up with buy/sell recommendations?  Do we need more "HYPE (Hope you paid enough).  Rallyrd take the proceeds and it is onto the next asset purchase.    What protections are on the customer accounts?  Yeah bitcoin may be worth billions but eventually it gets translated into $$$$$ in a bank account which is how the world operates right now.  What happens to Rallyrd if all the investors run for the exits?  

Another way to look at this is one big Mutual fund of "assets".  If Rallyrd wants investor's to buy more shares in their new acquisitions they need to show that their investor's made money on the previous share acquisitions.  Which puts those 3 guys in the position of being "Asset Managers".   So if a buyer wants to buy the asset do they buy up all of the shares via a tender offer or buy the asset?  Will I be seeing Rallyrd at conventions soon or do they think that big buyers are just going to come running to this website to buy these assets?  

I'd also question where they are getting their comparable value numbers from when you click on the "share price".   

Edited by blazingbob

17 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Selling shares in a book is basically the same idea as having co-owners.  You are spreading your risk around and expanding your capital base to buy more books. 

Are they paying the prices the books are listed at?  Or is it the same as venture capitalist bringing a IPO to market where they are setting the value of the book?  Hulk #1 8.0 $89000?  Star Wars #1 9.0 35 cent variant $12K,  last sale was $9600.  DD #1 $11,500,  last sale was $9900.

If they are setting the "comic IPO" price they are a bit in the high range so for buyers of these shares they are already underwater.

Bob

That must be where they're making money. They or someone just before them purchased the TMNT on Comic Connect for $59,000, and then turned around and sold it to their investors for $65,000 which apparently took minutes. That's 10% profit on the flip. Not bad.

2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I may be in the minority,  but I think this will fizzle out... owning 1 share of a rare comic means nothing to me. Too scammy.  Just buy an ETF

I agree

But I can see it happening because people are too hopeful for $$$. People don't actually own a piece of the comic, they own a piece of paper that tells them they own a piece of a comic.

If I own stocks in oil can I trade them in for actual oil?

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I agree

But I can see it happening because people are too hopeful for $$$. People don't actually own a piece of the comic, they own a piece of paper that tells them they own a piece of a comic.

If I own stocks in oil can I trade them in for actual oil?

No in oil you would trade the futures and yes you can take physical delivery