• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RallyRd - that old idea about partial ownership of comics is a reality (updated July 21, 2021)
6 6

575 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, D84 said:

Maybe we can all do this?

I'll start by offering 1,000 shares of my left :censored: for $20.00 each. 🤣🤣🤣

What sort of condition is it in?  That will impact the total number of shares I will buy 

There are a different ways to look at this.  Are you the "investor" looking to make money regardless of the underlying asset or do you just want to own a piece of something you will never be able to afford yourself?  There have been numerous attempts over the years by those seeking to create a Mutual fund of "Collectibles (Coins,  cards, whatever) that are managed.  Other options are you can partner with a dealer and share in the profits but the "cost" of buying in is higher then buying $37 shares of a Captain America #5 VG/FN.  Again all of this depends on the trust of the investor in who the Asset manager is.  

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

A couple of universal truths

1.  Never take investing recommendations off people on a message board.  You never know what their motivation is in their recommendation.

2.  There are lots of people that don't follow universal truth 1.

#3,  It is all speculation until the $$$ is in your account.  

It is one thing to be a Wanna be BSD telling everyone what you want to buy,  it is another when I see the money.  

12 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

We're also losing sight of the fact that if one of these "publicly traded, cooperatively owned" books is paid for, funded by paypal or credit card the sale IS NOT FINAL FOR 180 DAYS! Commodities trading generally doesn't work that way! You buy 1000 shares of a stock at $9@, it goes to $12@, you sell, you take your profits and/or reinvest. If two weeks later the stock plummets to $6 per share, you don't owe anybody $6000 becaause you were in and now you're out.  So what happens here if 2 days, or 2 weeks, or 2 months, or 170 days later there's a chargeback? And the book is being returned the money to be refunded? Have any of the parties involved thought about how ecommerce works when paypal and cc companies are involved in the payment process? Because of how they're involved, no sale is final until 180 days have passed. Counting a sale as final before 180 days have elapsed is counting chickens before they've hatched. 

I think I read your hypothetical correctly and it's an interesting point but ultimately I don't think it will have a lot of effect. So someone buys a piece of TMNT #1 9.8 say, at $450 (the average investment) and its then a chargeback through paypal. Well, then the house has those shares back in their hands. If the asset increased in trade price then they're fine and they just re-sell the shares at that price. If they go back to the offering, then they sell at that price and its a push. If the asset loses money in that time, then they just take the hit. Assuming they are buying items like the TMNT #1 and reselling them instantly for 10% profit (they paid $59K for the TMNT #1, sold it to investors at $65K) then they are still ok. I don't think a mass-exodus of chargebacks is a likely scenario. Most people don't even know about them, maybe 5%. Then those who would go through with this dishonest event would be even smaller.

1 minute ago, GM8 said:

I think I read your hypothetical correctly and it's an interesting point but ultimately I don't think it will have a lot of effect. So someone buys a piece of TMNT #1 9.8 say, at $450 (the average investment) and its then a chargeback through paypal. Well, then the house has those shares back in their hands. If the asset increased in trade price then they're fine and they just re-sell the shares at that price. If they go back to the offering, then they sell at that price and its a push. If the asset loses money in that time, then they just take the hit. Assuming they are buying items like the TMNT #1 and reselling them instantly for 10% profit (they paid $59K for the TMNT #1, sold it to investors at $65K) then they are still ok. I don't think a mass-exodus of chargebacks is a likely scenario. Most people don't even know about them, maybe 5%. Then those who would go through with this dishonest event would be even smaller.

We all know about chargebacks. Most that use a credit card know about chargebacks. Paypal too. It's a claim. For loss, damage, seller irresponsibility in performance. That's the whole point of using payment where you have recourse if dissatisfied. At the level they're at now, I can envision a major chargeback or claim being a devastating hit for anyone other than the shareholders who are already paid. This is the type of leakage that has to be thought of, and plans formulated on how to deal with it if it occurs. We are talking about items valued in excess of $50,000. Some could be alot more. If they're dealing in Cap 1 instead of 3, right. 

My wife worked for Merrill Lynch investment banking group in the early 2000s.   Merrill rep'd Xilinx Corporation so were always doing the pump side for them.  The guy that worked at Xilinx doing all the analysis always put out the same statement.  Xilinx was superior to Altera (main completion) but Xilinx had exposure in two key areas, Altera's Aurora product and Excalibur product.  I worked at Altera.  Aurora was such a big failure they removed it from the standard software release which meant you had to call in to get a special software release to do anything with the part.  The number one buyer of the Excalibur product was Altera itself for evaluation boards.  It was another complete failure. Ultimately the analyst was putting out complete trash.

58 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

What sort of condition is it in?  That will impact the total number of shares I will buy 

It's got some wrinkles but I'm not sure I want to risk pressing. 

Albert Einstine

lol

I miss old Albert......he used to shine shoes outside of the Piggly Wiggly in Booger Hole, West Virginia, and would mumble things like that all the time.

Edited by Domo Arigato

Job opening just posted - High grade comic default swaps is looking for some Mathemagicians that can up up with some comic default swap algorithms outlining the next 10 years of comic book appreciation.  Tranches will be calculated/created on underlying assets that will give comic investor's the ability to trade on the upside or downside in comic book collecting.  Take both sides of the trade,  Bet up or bet down.

:jokealert: but somebody out there has a light bulb appearing over their head   

None of this is as solid an investment plan as Comic Book Coin...backed by Avengers Annual # 7. Hell yeah!

(Still one of the best threads here ever): 

Edited by Gatsby77

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

When viewed in this light, how often do you pull up your investment account to show your friends how your shares of Apple or Enron are doing when you get together.  lol

I was being sarcastic ¬¬