• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RallyRd - that old idea about partial ownership of comics is a reality (updated July 21, 2021)
6 6

575 posts in this topic

Whether it's a ponzi scheme or  a pyramid scheme ,whatever. It's not a good idea to give someone your hard earned money when you have no idea what or how your money is working for you. They are being vague because they dont want you to know what they are doing with your money. Then when an investment goes south, and you lose your money. They can say that that is the risks of investment . Dont fall into these ongoing type of investment ideas. 

On 8/9/2020 at 12:32 PM, oakman29 said:

Whether it's a ponzi scheme or  a pyramid scheme ,whatever. It's not a good idea to give someone your hard earned money when you have no idea what or how your money is working for you. They are being vague because they dont want you to know what they are doing with your money. Then when an investment goes south, and you lose your money. They can say that that is the risks of investment . Dont fall into these ongoing type of investment ideas. 

9F3C4298-9B6D-41DD-86F2-06BC2CCC2BBA.jpeg

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Not a terrible article.  

That said, isn’t this the very definition of a manufactured collectable?  I can see Rally investing in big ticket pre-existing cards/sets, but creating its own limited sets?

Kind of a next level mystery box :insane:

20034B76-53A2-41FF-B593-F412A40F3096.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not a terrible article.  

That said, isn’t this the very definition of a manufactured collectable?  I can see Rally investing in big ticket pre-existing cards/sets, but creating its own limited sets?

positively guaranteed to increase in value? sounds good, Franklin ...

-bc

There's a trading market where it goes by true bid/ask,” he said. “Once trading opens, who's to say what happens with those cards inside of that case with the rookies that are involved three-to-four months from now? … There are a few breakout stars that can only exist inside this case; we let the market dictate what the price should be of that entire set.”

6 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not a terrible article.  

Kind of a next level mystery box :insane:

1 hour ago, wombat said:

The only thing missing is the "order in the next ten minutes and we will double your order. Just pay a small processing fee" offer. 

I think I've heard this exact line on one of those commercials:

"And we'll send you another one for freeJust pay a separate fee".  hm

On 8/8/2020 at 9:18 PM, Beige said:

The fact that a couple of people have joined the boards to push their sales pitch speaks volumes.

In what world could an overpriced miniscule share of a book that you have no control over its whereabouts, or time of disposal, or at what price - and could be bankrupted out by its own share owning manager  end in anything but a financial loss for the share buyer, a bit of profit for the manager, and a nice new book for the buyer of the 'bankrupted book company'

It's a blatant ponzi scam.

Anyone who buys in, deserves all that is heading their way.

2c

It’s not a Ponzi scam.   It’s just a dumb idea. 

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

It’s not a Ponzi scam.   It’s just a dumb idea. 

Nah - it's a Ponzi scheme because it literally depends on a constant flow of new investors willing to overpay by 30%+ in order to "continue as a going concern" - which is literally one of the risk factors they outline on their website.

All it takes is 2-3 high-profile items to sell at a loss (not even comic books, but cars/baseball cards/etc.) and the new money dries up, they declare bankruptcy on the other individual "companies" that own the comic in which you're invested, and you receive only pennies on the dollar back.

No, the going concern language is typical financial statement disclaimer for unproven businesses and or business with a history of operating losses and you would be familiar with that if , with respect, you had some experience in that arena.   It’s not saying what you think it is and it’s pretty standard language for a new or unproven venture.   Of course there are big risks associated with this.   But you’d have to be a maroon to not see that straight away.    There are many ways this venture  could go sideways and leave the investors with a fraction of nothing.

Edited by Bronty

On 8/13/2020 at 1:14 PM, valiantman said:

$100,000 - ten sets of Topps 2020 1st Edition baseball sold out in 2 minutes - 8/14/2020.

Comics added to RallyRd since this topic started:

CGC 8.5 Fantastic Four #1 - $105,000 to be offered (date not set)

CGC 9.4 Tales of Suspense #39 - $135,000 to be offered (date not set)

6 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Nah - it's a Ponzi scheme because it literally depends on a constant flow of new investors willing to overpay by 30%+ in order to "continue as a going concern" - which is literally one of the risk factors they outline on their website.

All it takes is 2-3 high-profile items to sell at a loss (not even comic books, but cars/baseball cards/etc.) and the new money dries up, they declare bankruptcy on the other individual "companies" that own the comic in which you're invested, and you receive only pennies on the dollar back.

I wouldn't define that as a Ponzi scheme but it has a similar effect, you see this same problem exists in any collectable investment wether it is through partial ownership or people buying the book for themselves.  Buyers buy an equity over and over and sell it off to the next person. 
Here's a fun example, all the people who paid $400 for the 1st Miles Morales flipped it to people willing to pay $600-800 for it, now all those buyers are trying to get $1000-1200 for it.  3-4 years from now all those dummies who paid $1000-1200 will be selling it for $1600-2000.  With every passing year I find myself on the sidelines more and more.  In stock investing this would be extremely apparent as represented by FALLING volume as prices increase as you can see with my arrow below.  Nobody is analyzing sales volume when it comes to comic sales though.  After the 1st Miles 9.8 sold over $800 on ebay to ONE BUYER literally everyone in the country now thought their book was worth $800.  Since you can't short sell a comic book, the price can sit there in fixed listings forever until another sells.  This gives the appearance of high demand. 
if there were 500 copies changing hands at a price of $400 and then only 50 copies changing hands at $1200 that is a red flag but again nobody cares about analyzing sales volume in collectibles. 

telzbHU.png

6 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

I wouldn't define that as a Ponzi scheme but it has a similar effect, you see this same problem exists in any collectable investment wether it is through partial ownership or people buying the book for themselves.  Buyers buy an equity over and over and sell it off to the next person. 
Here's a fun example, all the people who paid $400 for the 1st Miles Morales flipped it to people willing to pay $600-800 for it, now all those buyers are trying to get $1000-1200 for it.  3-4 years from now all those dummies who paid $1000-1200 will be selling it for $1600-2000.  With every passing year I find myself on the sidelines more and more.  In stock investing this would be extremely apparent as represented by FALLING volume as prices increase as you can see with my arrow below.  Nobody is analyzing sales volume when it comes to comic sales though.  After the 1st Miles 9.8 sold over $800 on ebay to ONE BUYER literally everyone in the country now thought their book was worth $800.  Since you can't short sell a comic book, the price can sit there in fixed listings forever until another sells.  This gives the appearance of high demand. 
if there were 500 copies changing hands at a price of $400 and then only 50 copies changing hands at $1200 that is a red flag but again nobody cares about analyzing sales volume in collectibles. 

telzbHU.png

Is there a 9.9 yet?

Part of the reason this doesn't make sense to us is generational.  Look at the popularity of Acorns and Robin Hood.  My nieces asked me why I wasn't doing it, and being the d*ck I am, I told them it wasn't worth my time or effort. It is the same with this, for me anyway. If I wanted a Jordan rookie or a ToS39 I would go and get it. But for Milennials and whatever the ones coming up behind them are called - this is the order of the day. It's fun and interesting and they can have a tiny little piece instead of nothing.

11 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Part of the reason this doesn't make sense to us is generational.  Look at the popularity of Acorns and Robin Hood.  My nieces asked me why I wasn't doing it, and being the d*ck I am, I told them it wasn't worth my time or effort. It is the same with this, for me anyway. If I wanted a Jordan rookie or a ToS39 I would go and get it. But for Milennials and whatever the ones coming up behind them are called - this is the order of the day. It's fun and interesting and they can have a tiny little piece instead of nothing.

Gonna hate myself for asking....

but what is Acorns and Robin Hood?:preach: