• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RallyRd - that old idea about partial ownership of comics is a reality (updated July 21, 2021)
6 6

575 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Follow-up on the original discussion (back when this topic matched the title) lol

CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 offered at $65/share (1,000 shares issued) on July 24th, 2020 - sold out in 5 minutes on that date.

First open trading day for CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 was today, November 3, 2020 - the bid/ask prices closed at $85/share.

Did you sell your shares and bank a profit?

-bc

1 minute ago, bc said:

Did you sell your shares and bank a profit?

-bc

Nope.

I did get a buyout offer today for my Pokemon shares.  I paid $25/share.  They're offering $80/share.  They put it up for shareholder vote.

On 8/15/2020 at 10:17 AM, lou_fine said:

If you actually think about it, speculators and flippers who either play the CPR game or day trade in comics really are part of a ponzi scheme.  (thumbsu

The only problem with some of these much more recent books which are actually available in quantity everywhere is that it's like a game of musical chairs and when the music stops, you just could find yourself without a chair to sit on.  hm  :tonofbricks:

I can't tell if you are serious or not, but flipping comics or any investment is not part of a ponzi scheme. For one thing, ponzi schemes are illegal.

57 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

If I'm going to be completely honest, I think a lot of the writing (both scripting and plotting) in Marvel's Bronze Age was pretty bad.  When someone says it's painful to read, I can't say I blame them.  I don't think the art was "painful," though I also don't think much of it truly stands out.

Comics were simple and fun back then. I wouldn’t say you read them to be blown away by stories but I would say they provided enjoyment and great art.

The 80s are when comics hit their stride in terms of stories. And even the last twenty years have been exceptional. The problem for me is that comic art no longer has the same feel. I like that classic feel. Today it’s all glossy and flashy and super realistic which I don’t necessarily need all the time. 

Lots of great Modern Material still being made, I just tend to read it digitally (Marvel Unlimited) or buy a collected edition. @Sweet Lou 14 I loved Superior Spider-man and agree that a lot of Bendis' work is absolutely fantastic (e.g. Ultimate Spider-man).

I'm currently reading Millar's Ultimate X-Men and it's not bad at all...

As for investments as it relates to the original point of the thread, I'm not running to purchase shares in Pokemon or TMNT.  I'll stick to buying physical books from the Gold, Silver, and Bronze eras.

13 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Comics were simple and fun back then. I wouldn’t say you read them to be blown away by stories but I would say they provided enjoyment and great art.

The 80s are when comics hit their stride in terms of stories. And even the last twenty years have been exceptional. The problem for me is that comic art no longer has the same feel. I like that classic feel. Today it’s all glossy and flashy and super realistic which I don’t necessarily need all the time. 

The 90's are the sweet spot IMO. The bee's knees of comics.

12 minutes ago, StumbleBum said:

Who are some of your favorite comic book artists?

LB Cole, Gil Kane, Neal Adams (early work), Bernie Wrightson, John Romita, Steve Ditko, Bill Sienkevicz, Jack Kirby, Graham Ingels, Joe Kubert, Mike Kaluta, Jim Steranko, Jim Aparo, Earl Norem, Barry Windsor-Smith, Ross Andru, Sal Buscema.

There are more but those are the ones I gravitate towards the most. Cannot say I am a huge fan of many others. I just don't look at artwork from the last 20 years or so the same because it is so digitized. I miss the more intricacies of artwork from the earlier days is all. I am not saying artwork today is bad and generally, I like a lot of the independent stuff more than the mainstream stuff. I find the mainstream superhero stuff tries to be hyper realistic which I don't need. I don't need to see Batman or whoever appear so real that they could be standing beside me looking that way. A lot of it is almost like looking at a picture someone took which, for me, I always HATED seeing that in older comics. Granted back then it actually looked bad but for me, I see the same thing. Art should look like art, pictures of real things should look like pictures of real things. The closer art gets to looking real and I lose appreciation for it. Does that make any sense from an artistic perspective?

Edited by comicginger1789

8 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

LB Cole, Gil Kane, Neal Adams (early work), Bernie Wrightson, John Romita, Steve Ditko, Bill Sienkevicz, Jack Kirby, Graham Ingels, Joe Kubert, Mike Kaluta, Jim Steranko, Jim Aparo, Earl Norem, Barry Windsor-Smith, Ross Andru, Sal Buscema.

There are more but those are the ones I gravitate towards the most. Cannot say I am a huge fan of many others. I just don't look at artwork from the last 20 years or so the same because it is so digitized. I miss the more intricacies of artwork from the earlier days is all. I am not saying artwork today is bad and generally, I like a lot of the independent stuff more than the mainstream stuff. I find the mainstream superhero stuff tries to be hyper realistic which I don't need. I don't need to see Batman or whoever appear so real that they could be standing beside me looking that way. A lot of it is almost like looking at a picture someone took which, for me, I always HATED seeing that in older comics. Granted back then it actually looked bad but for me, I see the same thing. Art should look like art, pictures of real things should look like pictures of real things. The closer art gets to looking real and I lose appreciation for it. Does that make any sense from an artistic perspective?

If you despise realism, you should love Liefeld, no...?

10 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you despise realism, you should love Liefeld, no...?

Lol no he goes so far in the opposite which is gaudy and so off-the-wall that I cannot appreciate it. 

I just find there are much more artists from the 40s-80s that I like a lot compared to the 90s to now. I left many off my above list (Wally Wood, John Buscema, Walt Simonson, Marie Severin) and feel if I were to list modern day artists that I really like, the list is maybe 10 or so. And many of those don't do a ton of interior work. 

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Lol no he goes so far in the opposite which is gaudy and so off-the-wall that I cannot appreciate it. 

I just find there are much more artists from the 40s-80s that I like a lot compared to the 90s to now. I left many off my above list (Wally Wood, John Buscema, Walt Simonson, Marie Severin) and feel if I were to list modern day artists that I really like, the list is maybe 10 or so. And many of those don't do a ton of interior work. 

There's a lot to like from every decade. The 2010's are the worst, though.

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's a lot to like from every decade. The 2010's are the worst, though.

I have read verrrrry little in the past decade. Chip Zdarsky's art I love on Sex Criminals which is great, same with Morazzo and O'Halloran on Ice Cream Man. I've tolerated Bennet on Hulk, although I would not say it blows my mind (the story is where its at and the art is just there). Aja on Hawkeye was also a nice change and worked with that run and same with Henderson on Nailbiter. Aside from those, there aren't many in the last decade that have drawn me in to wanna read, even though I know some great stories are aplenty. 

53 minutes ago, StumbleBum said:

Cool. From the "Pedigree Package" thread I thought you might be some elitist jackbone but I was wrong (thumbsu

I'm sorry if I came across that way. 

Basically, there are just some modern artists that people love that I hate. Art is subjective. I can say "I don't like Jim Lee art or Rob Liefeld art" but I would be stupid to say they aren't good artists. Obviously they are doing something right for enough people because they are still in the biz. So kudos to em. Just isn't for me. 

I totally get people saying they don't like Kirby art (heck it took time to grow on me even). And that is fine. But they cannot deny that Kirby was massively successful. As a wise man (or animated VW bus) said, "respect the classics, man" and I feel I do that mostly with my collecting and enjoyment in this hobby. I've always felt like a 60 year old collector stuck in a 30 year old body. 

12 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I'm sorry if I came across that way. 

Basically, there are just some modern artists that people love that I hate. Art is subjective. I can say "I don't like Jim Lee art or Rob Liefeld art" but I would be stupid to say they aren't good artists. Obviously they are doing something right for enough people because they are still in the biz. So kudos to em. Just isn't for me. 

I totally get people saying they don't like Kirby art (heck it took time to grow on me even). And that is fine. But they cannot deny that Kirby was massively successful. As a wise man (or animated VW bus) said, "respect the classics, man" and I feel I do that mostly with my collecting and enjoyment in this hobby. I've always felt like a 60 year old collector stuck in a 30 year old body. 

(tsk)

Several people said they weren't going to sign up just to see what items are in the system.

I took some screenshots and pasted them together.  These are the "Comics & Literature" and "Memorabilia" categories as of January 15, 2021.

RallyRd_comics_and_literature_20210115.thumb.png.bf0eeac55893c2d2df39c06de2b806e2.png

RallyRd_memorabilia_20210115.thumb.png.a40f0b6ee2dd61ed95f096760c1d5ad0.png

Edited by valiantman