• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RallyRd - that old idea about partial ownership of comics is a reality (updated July 21, 2021)
6 6

575 posts in this topic

Robinhood is for people who probably shouldn't be investing in the first place.   Just the name of the platform gives it an air of pretentiousness.   There was the case of that poor 20 year old kid who committed suicide a few months ago, because he thought he was a $730K in the hole. 

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Another difference is that TD Ameritrade has one of the least user-friendly apps I've ever seen.  The app choices are:  "Add to position" "Reduce position" "Close position"

Robinhood dumbs it down so much in the app that a 10-year-old could invest in stocks (and probably there are some that do).  The app choices are:  "TRADE" which has "BUY" and "SELL"

Acorns isn't free, but it has a $1/month option that it just takes off the same debit card that it is using for the round-up-to-the-nearest-dollar investments.  You can also set up an automatic investment ($10/month, or some other amount). Acorns is a "set it and forget it" app, doesn't require any monitoring or activity.

I completely agree about TD. They definitely are not user friendly. I had the same issues when my 401k was being handled by Wells Fargo, not user friendly at all , although both did make gains , I now do not recommend either.

Robin Hood did dumb it down so easy a 10 year old could use it , but they started limiting times you could buy in and sell so what little I had in just to see how well it worked,  I cashed out. ( again all were a decent gain) although some of their lag in sell vs actually selling did cost some gains.

Acorn is exactly as you described. Basically a stocks etc version of the banks keep the change program. 

21 hours ago, 90sChild said:

I wouldn't define that as a Ponzi scheme but it has a similar effect, you see this same problem exists in any collectable investment wether it is through partial ownership or people buying the book for themselves.  Buyers buy an equity over and over and sell it off to the next person. 
Here's a fun example, all the people who paid $400 for the 1st Miles Morales flipped it to people willing to pay $600-800 for it, now all those buyers are trying to get $1000-1200 for it.  3-4 years from now all those dummies who paid $1000-1200 will be selling it for $1600-2000.  With every passing year I find myself on the sidelines more and more. 

If you actually think about it, speculators and flippers who either play the CPR game or day trade in comics really are part of a ponzi scheme.  (thumbsu

The only problem with some of these much more recent books which are actually available in quantity everywhere is that it's like a game of musical chairs and when the music stops, you just could find yourself without a chair to sit on.  hm  :tonofbricks:

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

this thread has just reminded me to call my Roth IRA fund company and make another tax deductible contribution for 2020

Wait until after November and buy when the feds allows the stock market to crash - then you will be way ahead.

On 7/28/2020 at 2:23 AM, PeterPark said:

So the best investments come bronze age and newer, and at much cheaper prices than Golden Age Mega Keys. 

So this has been a topic of discussion with a small group of mine for the last few months now. I seem to land in the middle, with a less extreme attitude towards this... but I can tell you I am in the minority (of the group). 

Basically, as it goes, none of the collectors I talk shop with and share collecting experiences have any interest in Golden or Silver Age books. 

All collecting interest seems to land in the Bronze, Copper, and Modern age. Now I think this is partly due to what people collected. My circle is all roughly the same age category, late 30s, 40s... so many of us grew up in, what I’ve come to hear, the Image Age. 

Point being, even though I’m much less extreme in my views than my counterparts, I never grew up with 70s X-Men. I never grew up with 70s Batman... or Spider-Man. Or 60s for that matter. 

So when I go back now and read Giant Size X-Men, or Spider-Man 120s... they are really difficult to read. They’ve aged, obviously, but I don’t have the warm nostalgia to back it up. 
Now being a Wolverine fan, would I drop $9k for a Hulk 9.4... no. I know it’s an “investment” piece and the 1st appearance of a character I love, but the story is awful and the art is painful to look at. I’d rather spend $1k on a SS 9.8 Limited Series 1 with all the fixings!! Because that’s what I grew up with. 

15 minutes ago, D2 said:

So this has been a topic of discussion with a small group of mine for the last few months now. I seem to land in the middle, with a less extreme attitude towards this... but I can tell you I am in the minority (of the group). 

Basically, as it goes, none of the collectors I talk shop with and share collecting experiences have any interest in Golden or Silver Age books. 

All collecting interest seems to land in the Bronze, Copper, and Modern age. Now I think this is partly due to what people collected. My circle is all roughly the same age category, late 30s, 40s... so many of us grew up in, what I’ve come to hear, the Image Age. 

Point being, even though I’m much less extreme in my views than my counterparts, I never grew up with 70s X-Men. I never grew up with 70s Batman... or Spider-Man. Or 60s for that matter. 

So when I go back now and read Giant Size X-Men, or Spider-Man 120s... they are really difficult to read. They’ve aged, obviously, but I don’t have the warm nostalgia to back it up. 
Now being a Wolverine fan, would I drop $9k for a Hulk 9.4... no. I know it’s an “investment” piece and the 1st appearance of a character I love, but the story is awful and the art is painful to look at. I’d rather spend $1k on a SS 9.8 Limited Series 1 with all the fixings!! Because that’s what I grew up with. 

I can see where your coming from,  but I'm about the same age and my entire focus is GA, SA and specific BA. 

I do enjoy going back to the books I read growing up (allot of X-men, punisher,  Spidey), but I'm very nostalgic to the history of comics. I have little orphan Anne books from the 20s, not because I love to read those stories (they are hard to read... ) but because I love where they fit into the history of comic books. 

These days my favorite readers are atomic age Science Fiction. Great stories, great art and a really cool glimpse into pop culture of the late 40s and early 50s. 

So for me,  collecting started because I was reading McFarlane and Miller, but by 20 years old I was collecting SA and GA. I love the stories, the artists, how characters changed and progressed over time and simply the thrill of finding big key books. 

43 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Did I just read some people saying art and stories from the 70s was painful?!

How....DARE....you!

If I'm going to be completely honest, I think a lot of the writing (both scripting and plotting) in Marvel's Bronze Age was pretty bad.  When someone says it's painful to read, I can't say I blame them.  I don't think the art was "painful," though I also don't think much of it truly stands out.

Follow-up on the original discussion (back when this topic matched the title) lol

CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 offered at $65/share (1,000 shares issued) on July 24th, 2020 - sold out in 5 minutes on that date.

First open trading day for CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 was today, November 3, 2020 - the bid/ask prices closed at $85/share.