• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RallyRd - that old idea about partial ownership of comics is a reality (updated July 21, 2021)
6 6

575 posts in this topic

I think I figured this out. Everyone is caught up in partial ownership of comics, but what about partial ownership of other peoples partial ownership??

Think about it.. instead of spending money with Rally Rd, you can spend money with a company that instead buys shares from the other micro investors! The logic is clear! Don't think about it too much!

I've even come up with a catchy name for it: "Microscopic Ownership of Really Old Nostalgia & Such"

I think the acronym might catch on.

7 minutes ago, Sferg said:

I think I figured this out. Everyone is caught up in partial ownership of comics, but what about partial ownership of other peoples partial ownership??

Think about it.. instead of spending money with Rally Rd, you can spend money with a company that instead buys shares from the other micro investors! The logic is clear! Don't think about it too much!

I've even come up with a catchy name for it: "Microscopic Ownership of Really Old Nostalgia & Such"

I think that business could give Friends Of Ol' Legacy Souvenirs some real competition.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:48 PM, valiantman said:

RallyRd.com just sold out of shares in CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 and CGC 5.0 Captain America #3 (1st Stan Lee story) in about 5 minutes.

The CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 sold 1,000 shares at $65 each ($65,000) to 143 investors in about 2 minutes.

The CGC 5.0 Captain America #3 sold 1,000 shares at $37 each ($37,000) to 114 investors in about 3 minutes.

Other CGC-graded books have sold in 2020 as 1,000 shares each through RallyRd, including:

CGC 6.5 Amazing Spider-Man #1 ($27,000, 1 share was $27)

CGC 1.5 Batman #1 ($71,000, 1 share was $71, etc.)

CGC 9.4 Batman #3 ($80,000)

CGC 8.0 Incredible Hulk #1 ($89,000)

CGC 9.0 Star Wars #1 35-cent variant ($12,000)

CGC 9.0 Superman #21 ($8,500)

CGC 9.0 Daredevil #1 will be next for $11.50 per share ($11,500 total), the date has not been set.

There have been several discussions on this board through the years about the idea of partial ownership (shares) of expensive comics that are unaffordable for most collectors.  No, you don't get to hold the book in your hands or keep it for a day each year.  The books stay in the hands of the RallyRd company, which also has millions of dollars in exotic/classic cars and other classes of items sold as shares as well.  Each item is its own LLC and share buyers are legal owners in the LLC with a single asset... the collectible itself.  Regulated by the SEC, using a FINRA & SIPC broker. 

Instead of "what if?" this is a post about "what is."

RallyRd does not yet have a referral bonus, and I don't own any part of the company, so this isn't some spam/cashback post... it's board discussion.  Partial ownership in high dollar CGC graded books is now a thing.  

EDITED January 15, 2021 - created graphics to show the current RallyRd inventory for the Comics & Literature and Memorabilia categories.

RallyRd_comics_and_literature_20210115.thumb.png.cc9212fbc9b2b7d776c4956d754d9d4b.png

RallyRd_memorabilia_20210115.thumb.png.14015f6ea136840fbfa5ffe2078074b4.png

I understand how the comic market  have changed over the year but come on!! I collect myself i have a few good ones   but yeah i could never own one of  those comics described in this topic  ,but the thrill of the hunt thats what its all about right?to actually own and have a piece  of comic history in our hands . Shares on a comics is madness dont  let the Dream die!

7 hours ago, Sferg said:

There's also "Global Offerings For Other Resources Keeping Your Own Undertakings Reduced Supporting Extraordinary Listings Via Electronic Shares" 

(thumbsu

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:
7 hours ago, Sferg said:

There's also "Global Offerings For Other Resources Keeping Your Own Undertakings Reduced Supporting Extraordinary Listings Via Electronic Shares" 

(thumbsu

You could add "24/7" to the end of the name, and "Other Resources" could easily be replaced with "Unlimited Collectibles", but I think the resulting acronym would be far too accurate... 24/7. :foryou:

Edited by valiantman

Not a phone call about our investments that anyone would want to get:

"Hi Bob. Sorry to call so late. Yeah, about that Hulk #1 that you own $500 of. There's been a mishap. We were showing it to an investor last night, and well, he dropped it. Bob, don't scream like that, please? Anyway, when it hit the floor it bent the corner of page 7. We were lucky it didn't damage the cover. But the bad news is..., well Bob, I don't really know how to say it. That corner of page 7 was what you invested in. So, your shares are practically worthless. Bob, please, stop crying. What's that? I can assure you my parents were married when I was born.Now that is very rude and I am not that fond of livestock. I felt you should hear it from me rather than get a form letter and this is the thanks I get. We'll cash out your shares and send you the $12.50 next week. Good night".

Edited by evilskip
correct spelling

On 11/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, valiantman said:

Nope.

I did get a buyout offer today for my Pokemon shares.  I paid $25/share.  They're offering $80/share.  They put it up for shareholder vote.

Wait. A "shareholder vote"?!?! So not knly do you have to find a buyer at your price point if you want to sell you also have to have the vote of (i assume the majority) of the other stockholders?

On 11/3/2020 at 4:22 PM, valiantman said:

Follow-up on the original discussion (back when this topic matched the title) lol

CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 offered at $65/share (1,000 shares issued) on July 24th, 2020 - sold out in 5 minutes on that date.

First open trading day for CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 was today, November 3, 2020 - the bid/ask prices closed at $85/share.

How are these valuations even remotely tied to reality?

There were no gpa sales of this book between  july and november so how do they justfy the 30% increase in value based on no sales?

59 minutes ago, dikran1 said:

Can’t wait to see which side is laughing at which when we revisit this thread in 5 years... :popcorn:

Well, let's be clear that there are probably at least two distinct questions underlying the "debate" in this thread:

• Will RallyRd (or any competitor with a similar business model) be successful as a business?
  • Will people who buy fractional amounts of collectibles be successful as investors?

In the long run, presumably these two questions are linked -- they will both turn out to be yes, or both no.  In the short run, it's possible for exactly one of these things to be true, IMHO more likely the former than the latter.

On 1/16/2021 at 3:47 PM, miraclemet said:

There were no gpa sales of this book between  july and november so how do they justfy the 30% increase in value based on no sales?

Ehh.   TBH I think the next 9.8 will be there no problem, for one.

And two, you pay a premium to be able to buy in at small dollar levels.

Not for me, but I think you will get gamblers that have no problem paying 30% extra and more on a good item

On 1/16/2021 at 2:47 PM, miraclemet said:
On 11/3/2020 at 3:22 PM, valiantman said:

Follow-up on the original discussion (back when this topic matched the title) lol

CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 offered at $65/share (1,000 shares issued) on July 24th, 2020 - sold out in 5 minutes on that date.

First open trading day for CGC 9.8 TMNT #1 was today, November 3, 2020 - the bid/ask prices closed at $85/share.

On November 3, 2020, users on RallyRd who owned shares of TMNT #1 they had purchased for $65/share in July could ask any price they wanted to sell them.

Users on RallyRd who wanted to buy shares of TMNT #1 could offer any price they wanted to buy them.

RallyRd kept the bid/ask system open all day and at the end of the day, November 3, 2020, $85/share was the price that satisfied the greatest number of buyers and sellers.

If sellers had only asked for $60/share and buyers didn't want to offer more than $60/share, the price would have been $60/share to satisfy the greatest number of buyers and sellers.

16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

On November 3, 2020, users on RallyRd who owned shares of TMNT #1 they had purchased for $65/share in July could ask any price they wanted to sell them.

Users on RallyRd who wanted to buy shares of TMNT #1 could offer any price they wanted to buy them.

RallyRd kept the bid/ask system open all day and at the end of the day, November 3, 2020, $85/share was the price that satisfied the greatest number of buyers and sellers.

If sellers had only asked for $60/share and buyers didn't want to offer more than $60/share, the price would have been $60/share to satisfy the greatest number of buyers and sellers.

so the stock bidders determine the value of the book? Not any actual book transactions? I know some of these fractional sales companies use GoCollect and other market analytic sites... RallyRd uses the bidders? 

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

so the stock bidders determine the value of the book? Not any actual book transactions? I know some of these fractional sales companies use GoCollect and other market analytic sites... RallyRd uses the bidders? 

The initial offering price is determined by RallyRd, based on what RallyRd believes will sell within 90 days.  Some sell out in minutes (I think 2 minutes is the record) and some sell out in about a week.  A few items are only partially funded after several weeks, but I don't know if any have ever reached the 90 day mark without funding.

When it's time for a trading day, the prices are set buy those who hold the shares or those who want to buy into the shares.  If there's no demand, the price is unchanged or falls.  If there's enough demand, the price rises.

In a way, there's a separate market for shares... because items that cost $65K are only available to a small group of potential buyers who have that much money.  When it comes to shares, though, the group of potential buyers is much, much larger, anyone with $200 can participate in any RallyRd market (cars, comics, cards, books, etc., or just $85 for TMNT #1)... so the market should be expected to be different when a different group of buyers are involved.  It's similar to how some books sell well on one venue and sell poorly on another.  The size of the buying audience matters, even if the books are identical to others available in other places.

18 hours ago, valiantman said:

The initial offering price is determined by RallyRd, based on what RallyRd believes will sell within 90 days.  Some sell out in minutes (I think 2 minutes is the record) and some sell out in about a week.  A few items are only partially funded after several weeks, but I don't know if any have ever reached the 90 day mark without funding.

When it's time for a trading day, the prices are set buy those who hold the shares or those who want to buy into the shares.  If there's no demand, the price is unchanged or falls.  If there's enough demand, the price rises.

In a way, there's a separate market for shares... because items that cost $65K are only available to a small group of potential buyers who have that much money.  When it comes to shares, though, the group of potential buyers is much, much larger, anyone with $200 can participate in any RallyRd market (cars, comics, cards, books, etc., or just $85 for TMNT #1)... so the market should be expected to be different when a different group of buyers are involved.  It's similar to how some books sell well on one venue and sell poorly on another.  The size of the buying audience matters, even if the books are identical to others available in other places.

One day a month?
After an asset’s Initial Offering, we impose a 90-day “lock-up” period during which shares cannot be bought or sold. Once the “lock-up” period is over, the “INVEST” button is replaced with “BUY” and “SELL” buttons so you know the asset is Trading. You can sell your shares during “trading windows,” which open for each asset on one specific day each month, by submitting sell orders (“ASKs”) through the app. During the trading window, you can revise your order as often as you want. When it closes, the broker-dealer will match sell orders and buy orders (“BIDs”) at the market-clearing price per share. If it’s at or above your ASK, your sale will clear and the buyer’s funds will be deposited in your account.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

One day a month?

Yes - there was an article or interview somewhere that stated that a full-time exchange would have different laws and regulations than the membership/organization of companies. RallyRd assets are managed by companies which may change ownership/membership once a month (I don't know if that's the limit or if that's a choice), rather than an exchange which would allow for 24/7 trading.