• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 Spider-Man Artists List (article)
2 2

38 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Since the author indicated the list is based on his nostalgia as the predominant factor, so be it.  

Mine would differ significantly.

:popcorn:do tell...

15 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Larsen’s ‘artwork’ is the reason I stopped collecting ASM

Larsen's only "bad" in the respect that immediately followed McFarlane.

Today, I like Larsen and Bagley's art a lot more than most of the artists in the 200s.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, kbmcvay said:

This list is totally invalid because it totally ignores the second half of the run.

Literally no artist on his list did appreciable work on ASM after issue 400 - in other words, it excludes literally every Spidey artist of the last 20+ years.

43 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Today, I like Larsen and Bagley's art a lot more than most of the artists in the 200s.

Larsen & Bagley 🤢 

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Larsen & Bagley 🤢 

Bagley earned my respect when he penciled Ult. Spider-Man for more than 110+ consecutive issues. That book, and the new interpretation of all the Spidey villains and supporting cast,  *was* him.

He can't be ignored in the pantheon of Spidey artists.

Granted, this was all 2000-2010, and a bit more evolved from his '90s work on ASM.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

This list is totally invalid because it totally ignores the second half of the run.

Literally no artist on his list did appreciable work on ASM after issue 400 - in other words, it excludes literally every Spidey artist of the last 20+ years.

JRJR penciled ASM for 3 years in the 2000s.

I grew up with Bagley Spider-Man so he's my #1.

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

JRJR penciled ASM for 3 years in the 2000s.

I grew up with Bagley Spider-Man so he's my #1.

Bagley's also back on ASM now, so technically he counts too? And I'm with you - Bagley is the artist that I associate Spider-Man with since that's when I started reading. 

I also don't really hold McFarlane as high as most people. I understand his influence to the character, but my god his MJ was awful. 

1 hour ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Bagley's also back on ASM now, so technically he counts too? And I'm with you - Bagley is the artist that I associate Spider-Man with since that's when I started reading. 

I also don't really hold McFarlane as high as most people. I understand his influence to the character, but my god his MJ was awful. 

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about McFarlane.  When it comes to drawing people, there's always been something about them that i've never really liked.  I'm not even sure what it is exactly.  But when it comes to his costumed hero work, they're undoubtedly cool.  I love how he made Spider-Man's eyes bigger for example.  Or how dynamic the artwork/poses look.  He's top 10 for sure, but I wouldn't place him in my personal #1.

State of the ARTwork — Eddie Brock/Venom by Todd McFarlane

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Bagley earned my respect when he penciled Ult. Spider-Man for more than 110+ consecutive issues. That book, and the new interpretation of all the Spidey villains and supporting cast,  *was* him.

Granted, this was all 2000-2010, and a bit more evolved from his '90s work on ASM.

I’ve toyed with getting a Bagley Ult. SM page. Very underrated artist in my opinion.

Romita Sr for me, particularly his 70s art, with the darker line work and shading.

6 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Bagley was very good on USM.

I particularly like the later issues with the much smoother inking style of Scott Hanna.

16 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

No, Larsen was bad on Spidey because he was a bad artist.  Period.  

Had nothing to do with him following McFarlane