• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 Spider-Man Artists List (article)
2 2

38 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
18 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Larsen's only "bad" in the respect that immediately followed McFarlane.

Today, I like Larsen and Bagley's art a lot more than most of the artists in the 200s.

No, Larsen was bad on Spidey because he was a bad artist.  Period.  

Had nothing to do with him following McFarlane

Agreed Larsen's style is not good. It's badness stands very well on its own but it was pretty jarring going from McFarlane  to Larsen. Another example is the 80s Doom Patrol series. The first few issues were very well drawn by Steve Lightle. Guess who took over after him? Yup, Erik Larsen. My eyes! My eyes! :sick:

And I truly don't understand the love that Bagley's work gets.  

Edited by Inappropriate Spock

18 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:
On 7/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, kbmcvay said:

This list is totally invalid because it totally ignores the second half of the run.

Literally no artist on his list did appreciable work on ASM after issue 400 - in other words, it excludes literally every Spidey artist of the last 20+ years.

Or maybe that's the reason why it's completely valid

6 minutes ago, Inappropriate Spock said:

Agreed Larsen's style is not good. It's badness stands very well on its own but it was pretty jarring going from McFarlane  to Larsen. Another example is the 80s Doom Patrol series. The first few issues were very well drawn by Steve Lightle. Guess who took over after him? Yup, Erik Larsen. My eyes! My eyes! :sick:

Larsen is to Spidey what Robbins was to Captain America :insane:

7 hours ago, Inappropriate Spock said:

And I truly don't understand the love that Bagley's work gets

While I wouldn’t put him up at the same level as a Romita Snr or Ditko, he is one of the better modern Spider-Man artists, along with Marcos Martin and Ryan Stegman.

#1 is Romita Sr. for me, all day, followed by Ditko.  Probably would place McFarlane at #3 for his influence when I was just getting into comics. After that, in no particular order it is Frenz, Kane, old JRJR art (not the new blocky garbage), Bagley, Andru, Pollard...While he was not a "prolific" Spidey artist, Micheal Zeck makes my list.

...I know for 1000% Ramos would NEVER make my list...I almost wanted to stop collecting my run with his art...Not my style...

4 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

While he was not a "prolific" Spidey artist, Micheal Zeck makes my list.

He is up there with the best on the strength of his artwork in the classic "Kraven's Last Hunt" storyline.

4 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

...I know for 1000% Ramos would NEVER make my list...I almost wanted to stop collecting my run with his art...Not my style...

If you like a fairly classical style, as I do, then Ramos' highly-distorted figurework simply looks jarring and slapdash. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

My personal favorite would be JRJR's run, it holds one of my all time favorite covers:

Amazing Spider-Man #232

37 minutes ago, s-man said:

My personal favorite would be JRJR's run, it holds one of my all time favorite covers:

Amazing Spider-Man #232

Despite the fact we’re talking about artists, also a very good run of stories by Roger Stern.

A great combination.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/25/2020 at 10:25 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Bagley was very good on USM.

I particularly like the later issues with the much smoother inking style of Scott Hanna.

I thought Bagley was great on USM.  Much better than his early work on ASM.  

However, I preferred Thibert's inks to Hanna's.  Both were good though.   I have 2 USM pages (one inked by Thibert, one by Hanna).  

On 7/24/2020 at 4:09 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

1. McFarlane

2. Ditko

3. Vess

4. Romita Sr

5. Bagley

6. Pollard

7. Romita Jr

8. Kane

9. Frenz

10. Alex Ross

What issues has Alex Ross drawn or painted other than anniversary issues and covers for the recent run?

No love for Todd Nuack? lol.

Any list that features jrjr and Sal on it that doesn't have "worst artists" in the title is invalid for me. So many memories of romita's jacked up eyes on Parker or the ridiculous way he drew MJ and how his drawings of kids make them look like adults with progeria. Not to mention the Michelin man wrinkles he would give every character's clothes. Romita Jr's art during the clone saga is one of the worst periods in the book's history. Thank God I've finally passed it on my read through and I now have Mike Deodato to enjoy.

Edited by SBRobin