• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-man & Venom FCBD 2020
2 2

35 posts in this topic

So having a "debate" with a buddy over what will end up being considered Virus' 1st appearance.  The issue is that Venom 25 is a cameo, between 25 and 26 was supposed to be Free Comic Book Day, but that was changed to Free Comic Book Summer.

26 released on July 15t that has now been deemed the 1st appearance but the FCBD issue, released July 22nd, being out this week and since the issue was likely already printed the indica shows a May release.

FCBD Indica Page

Spidey_Venom_FCBD_2020_Indica.thumb.jpg.2703aa75719eb0a33d6d9bafca362a96.jpg

Venom 26 Indica

Venom_26_Indica.thumb.jpg.114e51293e5a74ac320f7cd8e66606fd.jpg

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

That's your winner

That is my opinion too, my concern is the indica of the FCBD being May where Venom 26 is Sept.  My understanding is CGC uses indica pretty heavily so this might turn into another ASM 252 vs MTU 141 vs SSM 90 situation.  All thanks to the book being intended for release so long ago but not done until now.

46 minutes ago, IbukiLord said:

Whichever one was available to the public first.

If that is true then ASM 252 would be the sole 1st appearance of Black Suit Spider-Man.  It was in stores at least a week before MTU 141 (late January compared to early/mid Feb of 1984).  But it is still highly debated and CGC still uses the indica for its labels that states "Ties with Marvel Team-Up 141, for 1st black costume."

So the concern is that because the indica on the FCBD Spider-man and Venom that no matter the fact it came out a week after it will still be labeled incorrectly and fought over that it is the "true" 1st appearance.

10 hours ago, Crops068 said:

If that is true then ASM 252 would be the sole 1st appearance of Black Suit Spider-Man. 

It is. CGC (and anybody else) being stupid and wrong doesn't change reality.

21 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Thoughts?

This is an unusual situation for multiple reasons. The release delays due to the pandemic are obvious, but FCBD comics are also dated very differently than normal issues that were released at the same time (disregarding the fact that FCBD comics aren't available on the regular weekly release day).

Ultimately, the only thing that matters is the timing of the releases.

10 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

This is an unusual situation for multiple reasons. The release delays due to the pandemic are obvious, but FCBD comics are also dated very differently than normal issues that were released at the same time (disregarding the fact that FCBD comics aren't available on the regular weekly release day).

Ultimately, the only thing that matters is the timing of the releases.

I agree it is an unusual situation. 🙂

I mean, all that really means is that CGC got it right. There isn't an option when another issue comes out first. (shrug)

The market, in all likelihood, would have determined the earlier appearance to be the first, regardless of intention, and CGC would be left playing catch-up.