• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-man & Venom FCBD 2020
2 2

35 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, PeterPark said:

There appears to be no shortage of this book. And I have yet to see any premium even for early appearance of Virus. I suppose time will tell.

True.  I went to about 5 stores between yesterday and today. There was a nice close to two inch stack of this comic at each store. I still grab one each time.lol  As far as the story and art goes it still is a nice grab.

4 hours ago, kairos70 said:

True.  I went to about 5 stores between yesterday and today. There was a nice close to two inch stack of this comic at each store. I still grab one each time.lol  As far as the story and art goes it still is a nice grab.

Yep, I grabbed 2 last time I was in on Tuesday.  As I walked out they put another 20 or so on the shelf.  Definitely no lack of the FCBD book.

It all just depends on what consumers decide is the first appearance. I think Venom #26 having a very attractive Cover A with Virus and CGC claiming it as 1st distributed appearance will make it win out. If I wanted a single slab for the character, it'd be the one with the best cover that is definitively in the running for 1st app. It's possible the FCBD one wins out if it ends up being scarcer and more valuable though.

All that said, do we really think Virus is sticking around for long? He looks amazing, but he was a villain with pretty weak narrative hooks who is also likely to be a character we already know.

1 minute ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Machine Man 19...:whistle:

Agreed. I'm skeptical a costume / name change is going to drive a ton of long term $$, especially for such a low tier villain. Even if it is a pretty awesome costume change. I feel like many may try to compare Virus to Cosmic Ghost Rider (i.e.; new character with mysterious identity who is revealed to be a known figure). The differences, which are huge in my opinion, are 1) CGR is an alternate universe persona who exists in parallel with the more established character - he may as well be a completely different character, and 2) He's a hero. Heroes get their own books, show up in events, and just generally have a much higher ceiling than villains.

I don't know, maybe Virus becomes an anti-hero spun from the pages of Venom much like Venom spun away from Spider-Man? That's about the only way I see the $$ paying off. Apologies for being a naysayer. I've just seen an enormous amount of hype for the character and felt words of caution to be an interesting and varied perspective.