• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Combined investment will cause Golden Age (Collectors) to explode
3 3

573 posts in this topic

So to answer the question the original Batmobile that was actually used in the tv series is in private hands. The number #4 replica was slightly used on tv. All other cars outside of these 4 diminish in value since the original and 3 replicas are part of the series history only.

Not sure what the WB has these days but it’s not the original car #1...

Edited by N e r V

Also the original Batmobile appeared in film prior to its conversion in the series. It was painted red and appeared in the 1959 film It Started with a Kiss starring Debbie Reynolds and Glenn Ford (later Superman’s dad!). Here’s some photos of the Lincoln Futura from the movie and it’s introduction in white a few years earlier. I was always kind of sad the original prototype had to be “destroyed” to create the Batmobile. Prototypes like that are rare and valuable on their own merits.

06AA6154-BDBD-42B7-AFDB-F428051A3FF5.jpeg.e4a980c2a1ea42e12bc6ef75ff820da5.jpeg

17E70C5C-D521-4C27-8584-E5DF82F3BDB9.jpeg.58a89349a102798b31a88e743c072e9b.jpeg

C232E54F-35D0-485B-8B69-D077B9BF3B4D.thumb.jpeg.e6b826c7b62e749f0920895112244b1b.jpeg

4989BCD2-8F65-4BAA-BC0E-55181F5AC811.jpeg.ea35a465c9017242e71a812a28712bd2.jpeg

3A99CA15-434D-469B-A3AF-495AD7584D3B.jpeg.ec4ff5d960a68e45acb48a359178099a.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Also the original Batmobile appeared in film prior to its conversion in the series. It was painted red and appeared in the 1959 film It Started with a Kiss starring Debbie Reynolds and Glenn Ford (later Superman’s dad!). Here’s some photos of the Lincoln Futura from the movie and it’s introduction in white a few years earlier. I was always kind of sad the original prototype had to be “destroyed” to create the Batmobile. Prototypes like that are rare and valuable on their own merits.

06AA6154-BDBD-42B7-AFDB-F428051A3FF5.jpeg.e4a980c2a1ea42e12bc6ef75ff820da5.jpeg

17E70C5C-D521-4C27-8584-E5DF82F3BDB9.jpeg.58a89349a102798b31a88e743c072e9b.jpeg

C232E54F-35D0-485B-8B69-D077B9BF3B4D.thumb.jpeg.e6b826c7b62e749f0920895112244b1b.jpeg

4989BCD2-8F65-4BAA-BC0E-55181F5AC811.jpeg.ea35a465c9017242e71a812a28712bd2.jpeg

3A99CA15-434D-469B-A3AF-495AD7584D3B.jpeg.ec4ff5d960a68e45acb48a359178099a.jpeg

If you needed roadside windshield replacement would you go with Nationwide or Satellite?  hm

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

So to answer the question the original Batmobile that was actually used in the tv series is in private hands. The number #4 replica was slightly used on tv. All other cars outside of these 4 diminish in value since the original and 3 replicas are part of the series history only.

I was a bidder on the #1 car , even thought for a brief moment I had won it. Was not to be 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

I was a bidder on the #1 car , even thought for a brief moment I had won it. Was not to be 

I saw it numerous times before the 2013 sale thanks to some family connections. Probably the best thing about it and the Green Hornet car were they were real cars that could be taken out. A lot of Hollywood cars since are more props than real cars. 

Not something I’d ever want to own though. To many other vintage cars worth owning at that price IMO. 

Probably a childhood fantasy for me would be taking these out on a track one weekend. I’d be fine with either car...:)

F7E4B2D3-0556-413E-A072-88B76BAFA15C.jpeg.ab772a9d57d96e8c077ec1387cad9b27.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

There is one in Chicago that I’ve seen in public streets. Don’t know it’s history. It’s owned by Long standing wealthy furniture store owners.  I think I’d rather have the Monkee Mobile 

Sticking with cars beginning with the letter M I’d also like to take the Munsters Koach our for a spin on Halloween...

A010B33B-C9BB-49EE-AE0B-B6BBA1CC6BAD.jpeg.08c1d8743b6a224c9fdf4663c1c57eda.jpeg

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

does it have a working passenger side ejector seat in case my wife nags me about driving too fast?

12 hours ago, N e r V said:

Yes, I stand corrected.  Just talked to my son, who told me they have two or three Batmobiles at the warehouse.  Apparently each Batman feature film uses a somewhat different looking car.  The original was sold long before he started working there.

26 minutes ago, fifties said:

Yes, I stand corrected.  Just talked to my son, who told me they have two or three Batmobiles at the warehouse.  Apparently each Batman feature film uses a somewhat different looking car.  The original was sold long before he started working there.

From what I understood Warner never owned it either. George Barris the creator bought the original Ford Futura himself, did the custom work afterwards and had owned it up until it was sold in 2013 two years prior to his death. Probably had some arrangements for loan purposes only to the studio while the show was on.

Theres been a number of replicas done by others since but only one original and the 3 “authorized “ replicas by him that were used by the studio for promo purposes with one of the replicas actually getting some tv time on the show. I’m pretty sure today all 4 are still in private hands.

On 7/27/2020 at 10:56 AM, valiantman said:

I'd love to be able to buy comic books at CGC 2001 and 2002 prices, but those first couple of years are long gone.

Why not.......ask and ye shall receive.  I guess you must have been a good little boy and the comic Gods are about to answer your prayers and grant you your wish here.:applause:

I just talked to the collector who forked over $2,500 for his CGC 9.8 graded copy of Shadow Comics 1 (can't remember if it was the Kuluta version  :tonofbricks: or the Chaykin version  :tonofbricks: :tonofbricks:) and he is willing to bite the bullet and begrudgingly let you have it at the exact same $2,500 figure that he had paid for it when CGC first opened their doors way back in 2000.  :bigsmile:

:takeit:...............the money, that is.  lol

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
On 7/27/2020 at 12:56 PM, valiantman said:

I'd love to be able to buy comic books at CGC 2001 and 2002 prices, but those first couple of years are long gone.

Why not.......ask and ye shall receive.  I guess you must have been a good little boy and the comic Gods are about to answer your prayers and grant you your wish here.:applause:

I just talked to the collector who forked over $2,500 for his CGC 9.8 graded copy of Shadow Comics 1 (can't remember if it was the Kuluta version  :tonofbricks: or the Chaykin version  :tonofbricks: :tonofbricks:) and he is willing to bite the bullet and begrudgingly let you have it at the exact same $2,500 figure that he had paid for it when CGC first opened their doors way back in 2000.  :bigsmile:

:takeit:...............the money, that is.  lol

Show me that sale on GPA. :foryou:

On 7/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, MrBedrock said:

My wife would call this thread NATO - No Action, Talk Only

Since this is an open public forum and minors might be reading these posts, it is probably not good form for you to share your nightime experiences with your wife here. :baiting:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Did they even have GPA when CGC first opened their doors back in 2000?  ???

I remember seeing this in one of the Overstreet updates as they were highlighting some of the initial sales of CGC certified books and at the time, I thought it must have been a mistake for sure because nobody in their right mind would pay that kind of price for a book like that.  Little did I know that was only a indication of things to come as collectors and investors were trying to naviagte the value of certified books in those first year or so that CGC started up before prices started to shake themselves out.  hm

There were some ridiculous prices paid on some minor GA books that would take buyers years to hope to recoup their money.  Sure, a lot of the mainstream books or in-demand GGA and horror ending up reaping big profits looking backwards now, but some of the more minor stuff, definitely not so much.  :frown:

Just now, lou_fine said:
16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Did they even have GPA when CGC first opened their doors back in 2000?  ???

I remember seeing this in one of the Overstreet updates as they were highlighting some of the initial sales of CGC certified books and at the time, I thought it must have been a mistake for sure because nobody in their right mind would pay that kind of price for a book like that.  Little did I know that was only a indication of things to come as collectors and investors were trying to naviagte the value of certified books in those first year or so that CGC started up before prices started to shake themselves out.  hm

There were some ridiculous prices paid on some minor GA books that would take buyers years to hope to recoup their money.  Sure, a lot of the mainstream books or in-demand GGA and horror ending up reaping big profits looking backwards now, but some of the more minor stuff, definitely not so much.  :frown:

I like surfing through the GPA prices from the early days, and it is very rare to find a GPA sales record for a key issue that wouldn't be a great deal today.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

I like surfing through the GPA prices from the early days, and it is very rare to find a GPA sales record for a key issue that wouldn't be a great deal today.

No argument here with respect to the key or classic cover books.  (thumbsu

It was really more with respect to the non-key lower demand books that some collectors were also just throwing ridiculous multiples to guide for as everybody was scrambing around trying to figure out where the certified market was going to go back then.  hm