• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Signed Comic

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm totally new to all this about CGC and all about grading. Though I've been collecting comics since I was a kid, about three or four years ago I came into possession of an X-Men #1C (1991) issue. It was a gift and was actually signed by Stan Lee, it has the COA in the back and sealed with one of those holo-stickers. 

My question is, if I want to submit this for grading, is it just a standard grading? Or how exactly does that work? Would it be under the CGC Signature Series or no?

Back COA.png

Front Cover.png

Seal on Back.png

Since CGC didn't see it signed, they won't give it a yellow label. A blue label. CBCS has a pink label that gives a "Verified" signature label. And their yellow label is "witnessed" signature.

I have some Bernie Wrightson raw Swamp Things signed. Nice and high grade but if I sent them to CGC, I would get a blue label since they didn't witness the signature. I know they are Wrightson signed so I will leave them raw. My advice to you is do the same with your book or ask CBCS what they would do. That's a nice book! And a latter day Stan Lee sig.

Edited by Randall Ries

You could also choose to get a green label, where the grade is ‘qualified’ so they ignore the signature.  That also probably isn’t worth it financially, but money isn’t the only reason to submit