• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jose Delbo's cryptoart close to $7k and rising at auction

51 posts in this topic

A while back, I wrote about my activities in the cryptoart/NFT (non-fungible token) scene, part of the blockchain space.

One of my friends who's even deeper into that scene happens to be the grandson of Jose Delbo.

Now, this is happening: https://makersplace.com/josedelbo/the-last-son-of-krypton-fights-for-humankind-1-of-1-29526/

This is why from the beginning, I've pishposhed at wide-brush doomsaying pessimists re: the OA space.

The Internet, ebay, CAF, etc. have changed the paradigm for OA.  Films.  Disney.  What's next?  Could anyone have predicted this cryptoart boom 5 years go?  Or digital art in the pre-Paik Nam June years?

It all begins with the art. With every newfangled innovation, much of OA only rises in value.  And at the end of the day, for as long as we're human,* art won't be going anywhere.

*No guarantees beyond this. lol

Edited by exitmusicblue

25 minutes ago, glendgold said:

So someone is offering $6800 for digital art?

This is basically a collision of different markets.  There are plenty of (well-off) folks in the blockchain space who (1) love art (2) are into superheroes, and (3) want to see digital NFT art fluorish.

Let's see where this rabbit hole leads.

Edited by exitmusicblue

12 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

This is basically a collision of two different markets.  There are plenty of (well-off) folks in the blockchain space who (1) love art (2) are into superheroes, and (3) want to see digital NFT art fluorish.

Let's see where this rabbit hole leads.

I've read Watership Down. I know where this leads. Hraka.

Edited by glendgold

54 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

A while back, I wrote about my activities in the cryptoart/NFT (non-fungible token) scene, part of the blockchain space.

One of my friends who's even deeper into that scene happens to be the grandson of Jose Delbo.

Now, this is happening: https://makersplace.com/josedelbo/the-last-son-of-krypton-fights-for-humankind-1-of-1-29526/

That’s Nifty! 

2 hours ago, Will_K said:

I still don't get it.

-- Josh Baskin in Big

I empathize.  I'm not that old, but this is the sort of thing that has me feeling really out-of-touch with the modern world.  

Honest question: but I'm able to right-click/save a .jpeg of the image.  The high bidder gets a larger 7MB file of the same image, right?  And that particular file is unique insomuch as it is tied to one of these newfangled blockchains right?  Which I'm guessing makes that particular file uncopyable and therefore something that could be resold or traded?

48 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

I empathize.  I'm not that old, but this is the sort of thing that has me feeling really out-of-touch with the modern world.  

Honest question: but I'm able to right-click/save a .jpeg of the image.  The high bidder gets a larger 7MB file of the same image, right?  And that particular file is unique insomuch as it is tied to one of these newfangled blockchains right?  Which I'm guessing makes that particular file uncopyable and therefore something that could be resold or traded?

It can be a unique 1 of 1 like with comic OA, or one out of X editions, like with numbered prints.  But yes, even the prints are non-fungible, i.e. a #3 of 50 is different from a #10 of 50.  

And, where it really gets funs is.. there are entire virtual worlds already made, others to come. The Wired article "Mirrorworld," written by the mag's founder, is a nice summary of what's ahead.  Virtual cities full of stores, games, stadiums, art galleries, conference rooms, hangouts, "homes," what have you, where AI and VR and AR and blockchain verticals and components will feature their respective use cases.  In such worlds, only the true owner of any "non-fungible token" (NFT) -- whether it be a work of art, or a game token, etc. can make use of the NFT.  So if someone just rights-clicks and saves a lower-quality version of NFT art, they don't and won't have access to it in the virtual world.

Unlike with centralized platforms... say, a sports game that releases a new version very year, rendering worthless any digital "earnings" or prizes or player cards from a past game (that's the point in order to prod consumers to buy the latest version)... in decentralized worlds, NFTs belong to the owner for good.  To make use of whatever its utility is, or to sell for profit, and so on.

Edited by exitmusicblue

A unique digital creation is a digital creation (art, photograph, song..) that's been digitally signed by the creator and uniquely identified on the blockchain. In a world where anything digital can be infinitely copied, a unique digital creation can only owned by a single individual.”

Whats amazing is that many hand drawn published Delbo splash pages don’t sell for this much. I hope the people making offers understand what they’re buying.

9 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

where it really gets funs is...

Wheeeeeee.

I’ll be sticking with something with REAL value for my money... the ever reliable Cryptokitties.

I mean, some people like art, sure. But everybody knows that the real source of the internet’s power is cats!

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/06/meet-cryptokitties-the-new-digital-beanie-babies-selling-for-100k.html

Edited by ESeffinga
Link

3 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

A unique digital creation is a digital creation (art, photograph, song..) that's been digitally signed by the creator and uniquely identified on the blockchain. In a world where anything digital can be infinitely copied, a unique digital creation can only owned by a single individual.”

Whats amazing is that many hand drawn published Delbo splash pages don’t sell for this much. I hope the people making offers understand what they’re buying.

Those bidders are NFT OGs... they understand exactly what they're getting.

But yes, I was trying to wrap my mind around the significance of this (digital value > physical value).  FWIW, I think there's a premium here for the pioneering nature of this specific piece.

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Presumably, Delbo has trademark permission from DC. Otherwise, someone is asking for trouble.
Frankly, I see this as a potential advertising piece by a future drug maker, local hospital or doctor’s group.

Not different from any other commission, I'd think.  Meaning not "legal" per se sans permission, but rarely enforced (unless the trademark is portrayed in a way that puts it in a negative light or for some egregious advertisement, i.e, Supes recommending a strip club or a Burger King meal without permission).

Edited by exitmusicblue

13 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

And, where it really gets funs is.. there are entire virtual worlds already made, others to come. The Wired article "Mirrorworld," written by the mag's founder, is a nice summary of what's ahead.  Virtual cities full of stores, games, stadiums, art galleries, conference rooms, hangouts, "homes," what have you, where AI and VR and AR and blockchain verticals and components will feature their respective use cases.  In such worlds, only the true owner of any "non-fungible token" (NFT) -- whether it be a work of art, or a game token, etc. can make use of the NFT.  So if someone just rights-clicks and saves a lower-quality version of NFT art, they don't and won't have access to it in the virtual world.

This is intriguing, but I'm always leery of tangible goods in virtual worlds. The game Entropia, owned by Mindark, was once the playground of a lot of well-heeled players who wanted to "invest" in virtual property. A player once purchased $2.5 million in "land deeds" in one shot, and another sold a space station for $300k+. Nowadays the game is largely a collection of sparsely populated planets, each containing large shopping malls and housing complexes...again, largely full of merchandise, but not customers. While not blockchain based, MindArk has always considered the objects in game to be the property of players (or companies, in some cases) that owned them, and allows players to cash out to their bank accounts whenever they choose (for a fee). But in order to cash out, you have to be able to sell your virtual items for Entropian dollars, which requires human customers. And as with most things...interest has simply waned over time, and the stores are full of unsold weapons, armor, and home furnishings; even custom paintings/drawings. Is there something in place in these new "worlds" to prevent the same thing happening? I understand that they are blockchain based, but you still run into the same problem of supply/demand; if interest wanes, or the next big thing comes along and draws away all of the inhabitants/customers, you can't sell what no one wants. 

52 minutes ago, jaxcomics said:

This is intriguing, but I'm always leery of tangible goods in virtual worlds. The game Entropia, owned by Mindark, was once the playground of a lot of well-heeled players who wanted to "invest" in virtual property. A player once purchased $2.5 million in "land deeds" in one shot, and another sold a space station for $300k+. Nowadays the game is largely a collection of sparsely populated planets, each containing large shopping malls and housing complexes...again, largely full of merchandise, but not customers. While not blockchain based, MindArk has always considered the objects in game to be the property of players (or companies, in some cases) that owned them, and allows players to cash out to their bank accounts whenever they choose (for a fee). But in order to cash out, you have to be able to sell your virtual items for Entropian dollars, which requires human customers. And as with most things...interest has simply waned over time, and the stores are full of unsold weapons, armor, and home furnishings; even custom paintings/drawings. Is there something in place in these new "worlds" to prevent the same thing happening? I understand that they are blockchain based, but you still run into the same problem of supply/demand; if interest wanes, or the next big thing comes along and draws away all of the inhabitants/customers, you can't sell what no one wants. 

There is indeed zero guarantee that any particular iteration will do well in the long run.  I have more confidence in "Mirrorworlds" arriving in general; not every platform will succeed over the long-term.

That said, blockchain-based NFTs are transferable across platforms.  Imagine if items/tokens used in Entropia could be transferable across different platforms designed by totally unrelated entities.  That's already the case with NFTs.

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

There is indeed zero guarantee that any particular iteration will do well in the long run.  I have more confidence in "Mirrorworlds" arriving in general; not every platform will succeed over the long-term.

That said, blockchain-based NFTs are transferable across platforms.  Imagine if items/tokens used in Entropia could be transferable across different platforms designed by totally unrelated entities.  That's already the case with NFTs.

Logistically, how does transferal between "worlds" work? I'm pretty familiar with blockchain and believe it's going to change the way we operate and think of money in the next few decades, but I feel it's still got a long way to go in terms of UI / use-ability. I've found that to make a decentralized asset work there usually needs to be a centralized UI layer on top, and that often defeats the point of the decentralized asset.

36 minutes ago, Varanis said:

Logistically, how does transferal between "worlds" work? I'm pretty familiar with blockchain and believe it's going to change the way we operate and think of money in the next few decades, but I feel it's still got a long way to go in terms of UI / use-ability. I've found that to make a decentralized asset work there usually needs to be a centralized UI layer on top, and that often defeats the point of the decentralized asset.

Yup, at this point there's still centralized dev work -- e.g., the devs who launch a world have to code in compatibility for specific standards, e.g. ERC-721.  But ERC-721 tokens can be and are used in a wide range of different platforms that recognize them in a user's wallet when granted that permission.  If you're a platform that doesn't code for compatibility, at this point you're missing out.

Today I can move my displayed ERC-721 art NFT from World X to display in a "competitor" World Y, no sweat.  It technically would remain in my individual wallet (unless I were using different wallets for different platforms, in which case I could transfer the NFT itself to another wallet of mine).

OpenSea.io is a thriving marketplace for all sorts of NFTs btw, from virtual lands to art to game cards, etc.