• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POST GRADER DAMAGE
1 1

29 posts in this topic

My Daredevil 168 arrived today.... grader notes mentioned small crease lower right corner (breaks color). Somehow, the top right corner was bent post grade. Is CGC rushing these slabs through too quickly with all the SS events, causing damage and missed quality control. A facebook post showed the same damage to another DD 168 except it was lower right corner. #frustrated.... #nolonger9.6?

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

3 minutes ago, csaag said:

Ouch.  Are you reaching out to CGC?  Maybe they can press it for you free of charge.  Did you have any pics of it raw?

Reaching out on Monday. Picking up another slab tomorrow from the post office that was sent in with a problem. Want to make sure that one is fixed before I call.

I just finished looking through my pics and don't see it in the raw. I need to get better at doing that.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:12 PM, comicdonna said:

It looks like it happened during the slabbing process.  That is no 9.6

It was a nice copy.... hope they can fix it. The small crease on the bottom corner with the light stress lines might have happened during the signing. It was a strong 9.6..... no more signings for me.

Edited by jokiing

18 hours ago, jokiing said:

Reaching out on Monday. Picking up another slab tomorrow from the post office that was sent in with a problem. Want to make sure that one is fixed before I call.

I just finished looking through my pics and don't see it in the raw. I need to get better at doing that.

A book with that amount of overhang probably shouldn't have been encapsulated in the first place...

44 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

A book with that amount of overhang probably shouldn't have been encapsulated in the first place...

Is that a defect that CGC would normally reject for grading?

I have had a similar experience with a Captain Britain #8 which was graded a 9.0 but had clearly experienced some damage post the grade assessment and during encapsulation and had leaked through quality control.

My advice would be to report this to CGC.  I discussed with the dude here in the London office - Jamie..great guy very knowledgeable and customer focused - and he told me that the condition of books is captured from start to finish on camera to the extent that he has a camera above his desk.

Report it to CGC - say that the condition of the book is no longer consistent with how you submitted it - and further more does not seem to be consistent with the grading given and let them investigate.  They will take you through the process.

I am still awating for the investigation on my #8 to be completed but I am positive that it will be resolved favourably.  

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I have seen books with a similar overhang be rejected. It's a judgement call...

Acceptance may have had something to do with it's submission into the SS club?

On 7/26/2020 at 7:47 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I don’t know about anybody else, but this seems to happen way too often for my liking...

I typed my comment when I realized that you had wrote something similar before me....

I think this happens more then we'd like to hear.  I have a couple of books with this same problem.  

6 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I typed my comment when I realized that you had wrote something similar before me....

I think this happens more then we'd like to hear.  I have a couple of books with this same problem.  

As I suggested above.... any relation between damage and CGC rush with the quick turnaround promise on in-house signings?

29 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Is there a spine roll going on too? Because thats a lot of overhang from the side for a modern book. Or was it miswrapped?

No spine roll (staples in spine edge)... no pressing... bad wrap job, even for a copper book... had it since new and it survived a good 39 years... until now.

Edited by jokiing