• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POST GRADER DAMAGE
1 1

29 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, jokiing said:

No spine roll (staples in spine edge)... no pressing... bad wrap job, even for a copper book... had it since new and it survived a good 39 years... until now.

I actually think you will come out of this ok. It's not a 9.6 now but with a press it could be that again. Did you contact them yet?

Just now, William-James88 said:

I actually think you will come out of this ok. It's not a 9.6 now but with a press it could be that again. Did you contact them yet?

Thanks.. Yes, I sent an email to Brittany with pics...waiting to hear back.

Bend doesn't appear to have color break and doesn't look like it's creased, but can't really get a good look because of the slab. Fingers crossed that you're right about the press... I kicked myself for not including a press, but it was in great shape to start... the tiny CB crease in the lower right corner may have happened during signing, but even a press wouldn't have helped that.

17 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Thanks.. Yes, I sent an email to Brittany with pics...waiting to hear back.

Bend doesn't appear to have color break and doesn't look like it's creased, but can't really get a good look because of the slab. Fingers crossed that you're right about the press... I kicked myself for not including a press, but it was in great shape to start... the tiny CB crease in the lower right corner may have happened during signing, but even a press wouldn't have helped that.

when it comes to a signing, always include the press, people have learnt this the super hard way. CGC won't guarantee your book comes back the same due to the overwhelming amount of books that drop in grade during a signing.

20 hours ago, William-James88 said:

when it comes to a signing, always include the press, people have learnt this the super hard way. CGC won't guarantee your book comes back the same due to the overwhelming amount of books that drop in grade during a signing.

Yes... totally agree. I have four other FM SS that are in the presses. This one was really sharp and I fooled myself thinking I didn't need the press but regretted that decision after I sent it in. Not sure if I'll do any more SS series. I have a slabbed 9.8 that I thought about sending in for one of the SS but noticed the value drop even to 9.6 was significant so not worth the risk.

4 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Did the grade remain the same?

Edit: I can check and yes it did, congrats

I don't know if it was regraded, just "fixed" and bent again when encapsulated. Just hope this bend hasn't broken color. Would anyone accept this as a 9.6?

3 hours ago, jokiing said:

I don't know if it was regraded, just "fixed" and bent again when encapsulated. Just hope this bend hasn't broken color. Would anyone accept this as a 9.6?

I wouldn't. Maybe I'm too picky, but I would expect any comic graded 9.2 or above to present absolutely perfect in the slab, with no bends or spine tics or overhangs. That's not to say you haven't done everything in your power to keep the comic in the condition it was when you bought it, but that it was an imperfect candidate to begin with. Are you planning to sell it or something? If not, put it in your collection and be happy it graded that high even with the overhang and corner bend. CGC is never wrong, you know, so it must be a 9.6.

54 minutes ago, Pat Thomas said:

I wouldn't. Maybe I'm too picky, but I would expect any comic graded 9.2 or above to present absolutely perfect in the slab, with no bends or spine tics or overhangs. That's not to say you haven't done everything in your power to keep the comic in the condition it was when you bought it, but that it was an imperfect candidate to begin with. Are you planning to sell it or something? If not, put it in your collection and be happy it graded that high even with the overhang and corner bend. CGC is never wrong, you know, so it must be a 9.6.

Before CGC screwed up the top corner the only issue was the lower right corner having a tiny bump with slight color break. Possibly a generous 9.6 but that's what the label reads. Planning on selling this one and keeping my 9.8 (no sig.) for now. I'll see what CGC wants to do about the non-fixed fix.

Expecting a 9.2 to present "absolutely perfect" I think is asking a lot although I must admit some of my 9.2 and 9.4 present just as well or better than this book with the lower corner bump.