• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official Usagi Yojimbo/Stan Sakai Thread
3 3

152 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2020 at 9:08 PM, Wolverinex said:

If you have a copy of Space Usagi 1 (vol 1), you need to sell that.   The new  Usagi show will likely be based on it. 

That is starting to blow up and just sold for 90 tonight

@Wolverinex... you were asking about possible print run on Space UY v1 #1 from Mirage in another thread...?

I track the Comichron data and while there is no data for that issue, they do list Space UY v2 #1 as 7100 in Nov 1993. 

I would think 7-9k for rough estimate based on historical trends of Sakai's work (typically 9-10k for #1, then hardcore around 6k, then falling). 

Some real ghosts will eventually be the last books from the regular series v3 Dark Horse when Comichron numbers drop to 4k, e.g. #165 with <3900. 

uy165.thumb.jpg.41829c83b319fcc96dbbf48bc4904f73.jpg

15 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Congratulations on scoring that rare book! I think that's crazy expensive on eBay right now. So in your opinion, what was your favorite story arc? Really enjoyed reading your backstory to the series

Dragon Bellow Conspiracy was always my fave... v1 #13-19. It was the first epic UY storyline and I like the Komori ninja bats.

The bat covers are a fave for me. I like the bats, Samurai Usagi covers, covers with tons of arrows...

UY22.thumb.jpg.362fc67f6e8bfe98116379e63b36f2b6.jpg

2114408331_uyv213.thumb.jpg.c88585a951fb7207494dbd8b6f72d8f1.jpg

Some sweet books in this thread!

I too prefer the style of the Fantagraphics books.

I have a box full of raw Usagi books that I have had some success with when graded by CGC. But there have been a few failures too. Sometimes going on Ebay is just so much easier. Thats where i got these a few years ago:

20200815_200546.jpg

2 hours ago, pubmonkey said:

Some sweet books in this thread!

I too prefer the style of the Fantagraphics books.

I have a box full of raw Usagi books that I have had some success with when graded by CGC. But there have been a few failures too. Sometimes going on Ebay is just so much easier. Thats where i got these a few years ago:

20200815_200546.jpg

Sweet Doomsday Squad 3.  And the lone 9.9 early Usagi book.

23 hours ago, david20009 said:

Sweet Doomsday Squad 3.  And the lone 9.9 early Usagi book.

Doomsday Squad #3 was one of those books that was $1.80 on sale at Mile High for a while. I scooped up a few. Cover cameo, a full color story and a 1-pager that introduces the character. 

Picked at a garage sale this morning for $3. Considering slabbing it, as it is pretty pretty nice, but by the time I gets back I'll likely have missed the hype train.

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

18 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Picked at a garage sale this morning for $3. Considering slabbing it, as it is pretty pretty nice, but by the time I gets back I'll likely have missed the hype train.

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

WoW, that's a nice copy.   Definitely slab it.   The netflix show won't be out for a while so I bet values will still maintain...

12 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

Do you guys think Albedo #3's value will continue to rise? Mainly due to the difficulty/price to obtain #2. 

Likely but I do not think it will raise by the same percentage as Albedo #3.  Given that the Usagi cover is on the back cover of #3 and difference in print runs Albedo #4 might be a better bet from an investment standpoint.  But since it is Usagi you should buy both and enjoy them and not worry about price.

Print runs by Albedo issue*

Albedo NR 1 (5-color cover) June 1984 - 500 Copies
Albedo NR 1 (4-color cover) September 1984 - 1500 copies
Albedo NR 2 November 1984 - 2000 copies
Albedo NR 3 May 1985 - 10,000 copies
Albedo NR 4 August 1985 - 6000 copies

*According to Command Review Vol 1, which reprints the Erma stories from Albedo #1-4:

This is the issue - and exact book, that introduced me to Usagi. I was 11 and saw it on a stand at a local flea market. Already a Turtles fan and curious what the title meant, I picked it up immediately. I would go on to collect most Usagi comics and really appreciate the consistency of the story and art, and also the learning value. I later met Stan at a con where he signed and sketched on the cover. One of the nicest guys I've met.

Usagi Yojimbo v1 10.jpg

On 7/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

@Wolverinex... you were asking about possible print run on Space UY v1 #1 from Mirage in another thread...?

I track the Comichron data and while there is no data for that issue, they do list Space UY v2 #1 as 7100 in Nov 1993. 

I would think 7-9k for rough estimate based on historical trends of Sakai's work (typically 9-10k for #1, then hardcore around 6k, then falling). 

Some real ghosts will eventually be the last books from the regular series v3 Dark Horse when Comichron numbers drop to 4k, e.g. #165 with <3900. 

uy165.thumb.jpg.41829c83b319fcc96dbbf48bc4904f73.jpg

One thing I've noticed is a lot of ebay sellers erroniously listing #165 as the last issue of the Dark Horse run. It's not! The 7-part arc "The Hidden" came after and is still part of this series, they just didn't put the issue number on the cover. However, if you look on the inside, the numbering does indeed continue throughout that arc, making the last issue of the Dark Horse run actually #172 (The Hidden part 7).

20200827_160750.thumb.jpg.fd092620d93c8c05665ef63ddc2556de.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster