• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official Usagi Yojimbo/Stan Sakai Thread
3 3

152 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Does anyone happen to have an idea of the print run for Critters #1? Just curious. Seems overlooked and undervalued at the moment to me, but also easy enough to find so I'm wondering if there were a lot printed. 

Can I expand this question to include print run of the Summer Special #1 and also Usagi Yojimbo #1 not for the same reasons but more curiosity...

a few years ago I picked up an original drawing by Stan of Usagi fighting Leonardo from a comic event in Columbus, Ohio... at the time, $400 was a lot to spend, but I love it.  I am a big fan.  I will never get Albedo # 2, but I have all the Usagi Yojimbo comics from all 4 publishers, plus all the mini and special issues.  

Just a quick share and check-in. Was walking past the Dark Horse booth at the Emerald City Comic Con in 2018 and saw Stan Sakai sitting at a table with another gentleman. Timing was perfect as there was no line so went up and had a great chat with him. Not much, but got a signed card with a little pic. 

Sakai png.png

I am a big fan of Stan Sakai having met him at my old comic book store in SGV. I bought a lot of his early stuff missing out of course on ALBEDO 2 but I did purchase multiples of Usagi Yojimbo 1. I've had three copies graded by CGC, 2 9.6 and a 9.8. I have two more raw copies of the 1st Usagi Yojimbo in his own title. eBay has a 9.8 on auction right now for $1300 with 3 days to go. If I have the other two copies I have graded will CGC require the $65 per book grading fee or can I still submit in the modern tier?

On 7/25/2020 at 10:08 PM, Wolverinex said:

If you have a copy of Space Usagi 1 (vol 1), you need to sell that.   The new  Usagi show will likely be based on it. 

That is starting to blow up and just sold for 90 tonight

The new show will be more based on the last few pages of Senso, that surrounds an ancestor of Usagi’s living in the far future. Not really the Space Usagi series. 

UY #1 (1987) has been quietly getting pricier and pricier:

9.8's were selling for $650 in Jan, $900 in Feb, and already in March there is a sale of $1700...

I know what you are thinking (I was), this is the 9.8/9.6 gap effect and 9.6's and below will be radically cheaper.

Not so it seems. 9.6 was selling for $350/$450 all Jan and then in late Feb there is a $648 sale.

It trickles down more:

9.4 has seen a steady climb from $150 range to $400 in Feb. So too the 9.2's ($245) and below.

2-3 years ago I was buying these raw for a few dollars and there were loads of choice. Not now. I haven't seen or heard much commotion about this, all eyes have been on Albedo #2 up to this point.

"hard finding high grade Usagi keys "

I couldn't agree more. I have been looking for high grade 1987 series and before for over 30 years and they are few and far between.