• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who else is also in videogames?

19 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Playing, not collecting.

Lifelong gamer here.  Sold my comics 30 years ago to fund my computer habit.  I do collect some art books and statues, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to comic books.  And I still have my old game boxes from 30+ years ago.

But stuff like encapsulated and graded game boxes doesn't really appeal to me. 

Graded games are interesting to me. They are similar to comics in that both contain material within that was meant to be consumed (reading or playing). The difference for me is the art of say video game covers, especially older games like NES carts, is not nearly as dynamic as most comic covers.

while artists are used for game boxes, the comic is primarily about the art as part of the story. It’s really I guess more about a speculative thing than anything else.(shrug)

44 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

Graded games are interesting to me. They are similar to comics in that both contain material within that was meant to be consumed (reading or playing). The difference for me is the art of say video game covers, especially older games like NES carts, is not nearly as dynamic as most comic covers.

while artists are used for game boxes, the comic is primarily about the art as part of the story. It’s really I guess more about a speculative thing than anything else.(shrug)

That's true.  I guess I'd consider a high-graded Ultima 4.  That was one of the first titles that got me into gaming, and it has a kick box.  (I have one, as well as 5, 6, 7, etc--but all my boxes are worn from fondling them as a kid.)  I was thinking of like pixelated Super Mario graded boxes.  Like this bad boy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Bros-VGA-80-NM-Factory-Sealed-Nintendo-NES-STICKER-SEAL-CDN-GRAIL-/333586743282?epid=4444&hash=item4dab51bff2%3Ag%3A7fQAAOSwlD5en3l2&nma=true&si=JIL846iaO5ZDMGmKl%2Bo4EJEjPbg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Poekaymon

1 hour ago, oldbsturgeon said:

Some covers are great , Castlevania Nes cover i think is similar to Frazetta , Bucky O`Hare i think was made by Adams (thats what they say in Reece site)  I am in the NES games because they bring me good memories 

castlevania.jpg

Edited by Mijael.Levy

I used to collect cartridge-only video games to play then tried emulating for the first time and wouldn't go back to buying the originals to play for the most part haha.  I still buy CIB games of my favorites just to have the boxes to display, and only for my favorite series did I buy a graded set.  After I bought them, I realized graded games aren't that appealing to me.  For some reason, unlike my comic books, I like when the boxes aren't sealed/wrapped in plastic and are a bit beat up (lucky for me with how prices have gone for sealed games).  (shrug) 

Edit: I will admit that black box games are the only ones that really appeal to me in impeccable shape.  Those boxes are so simple but beautiful.

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA

2 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Some covers are great , Castlevania Nes cover i think is similar to Frazetta , Bucky O`Hare i think was made by Adams (thats what they say in Reece site)  I am in the NES games because they bring me good memories 

Some are great true though there are less that are say compared to comic covers.

but you’re also right that people attach the nostalgia of their youth to things like video games and want them. Bam...the graded game market is born

13 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Lifelong gamer here.  Sold my comics 30 years ago to fund my computer habit.  I do collect some art books and statues, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to comic books.  And I still have my old game boxes from 30+ years ago.

But stuff like encapsulated and graded game boxes doesn't really appeal to me. 

show'em!

There's also another thread that was posted recently... 

Edited by AGGIEZ

11 hours ago, oldbsturgeon said:

Im just getting into it. Picked up some high grade sealed copies that im gonna have WATA grade soon.

IMG_20200723_102657.thumb.jpg.f75fe7ff1d192086348bc69ec7cfd504.jpg

4 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Im just getting into it. Picked up some high grade sealed copies that im gonna have WATA grade soon.

IMG_20200723_102657.thumb.jpg.f75fe7ff1d192086348bc69ec7cfd504.jpg

Used to play coin-op Paperboy all the time at the local arcade.  And I remember playing Gauntlet for the first time at a gaming convention.  Was some magical stuff.

4 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

nice! Once I get a display going with statues and comics I'll be sure to remember to do this for Samus as well, but with Super Metroid (and Super Metroid Eris)

Nice! I wish I had bought a CIB super metroid originally.  I only have the cart, but it's definitely one of my favorite SNES games to play still. I'm going to need to find a box and manual eventually.

I'll try to post a few more fun video game + other collectible pairings later after work.  

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA
Added sentence

3 minutes ago, NEED MO DAKKA said:

Nice! I wish I had bought a CIB super metroid originally.  I only have the cart, but it's definitely one of my favorite SNES games to play still. I'm going to need to find a box and manual eventually.

I'll try to post a few more fun video game + other collectible pairings later after work.  

Alas, I don't have a CIB Super Metroid anymore....my SNES collection is actually just the carts and instructions booklets in custom cases (this way I could collect much cheaper loose carts of many rare games instead of paying through the roof for boxed copies. Also opening them constantly for playing is less stressful when they are not in mint condition :D ). However Super Metroid will be the on exception to when I finally put together a display - it'll be one of the few games I'm trying to buy sealed.

20200728_144537.thumb.jpg.a751ade039052623f5b324276142caa5.jpg

Bump! I forgot to post the rest.  I pulled these out of storage the cooler things from my my high school/college collection when I went back to visit my parents.  I was big into fire emblem, but I collected some statues of other series too.

I love collecting the store displays.  Some are pretty tough to find and they display great with the games. These are the standees/display boxes I have currently.  As far as I'm aware, the ones I don't have are: two versions of a chrome display box for Sacred Stones (one large, one small), a standee and chrome display box for Path of Radiance, and a standee that displays 3 unrelated games for GBA games that features Fire Emblem.  There are probably more for the more recent games (Awakening and newer), but I wasn't a fan of those and don't really bother.  I've been wanting to start collecting Metroid displays next.

20200801_140503.thumb.jpg.bda6d83be4b017c7c1b1d452a1b2cfb1.jpg

20200801_140144.thumb.jpg.0dd1f614f36375a57264f083b8cd39be.jpg

20200801_140327.thumb.jpg.818430a63f9fbcb73c52da6bd6bb2701.jpg

These are a couple vinyl banners used in GameStops to advertise

20200731_163339.thumb.jpg.5ce4a014fd3e76d7b9f4dde5fce1990a.jpg

20200731_165940.thumb.jpg.ac971bbfe3e59c49246fdaec8e9a9583.jpg

The following is a Marth pocket watch from the 25th anniversary symphony concert in Japan.  There's an Aqua necklace too that was sold at this concert or another I believe, but I've never found that for a price I'm willing to pay.

20200801_112051.thumb.jpg.8a434f7f1d741ff79b769a074f0a1dbe.jpg

The following are a couple different versions of the games.  The Japanese release of Path of Radiance has a higher difficulty not available on the US version.

20200731_170408.thumb.jpg.acafa3ff6da334914a3832aa03e35a2c.jpg

Sealed versions of Radiant Dawn (initial release with black rating label and Nintendo re-release years later in white)

20200731_170103.thumb.jpg.430905709dea352f108c74d43752539b.jpg

Some of the collector's editions that I had nothing else to pair with

20200731_170225.thumb.jpg.b4a1f01038829b58af5679892bd678ad.jpg

If I recall correctly, these promotional etched crystals were intended to be handed out to trivia contest winners at Game Stop stores (and maybe some employees).  I've heard conflicting info on this.

20200731_162602.thumb.jpg.554bd23ec8c9ced4e9474fe313cd6043.jpg

My zelda statue with some of the games in the series.  This statue and the following are all made by First 4 Figures.  They make some quality video game states.

20200801_155721.thumb.jpg.eee9203f132931cdc1722762ed73bd3b.jpg

A couple of the Soul Calibur statues I have for characters I used to play.  

Nightmare:

20200801_170610.thumb.jpg.14b0df0b3a1449fd71a02b41ac95c184.jpg

Taki:

20200801_170658.thumb.jpg.520bb1a8fd8bbd49e9bdc09fb0dd8a1e.jpg

Also, I've been looking for something cool to pair with this, signed by the Snake voice actor:

IMG_2242.thumb.jpg.39b531f5066837226cb6c087b5d5d2bc.jpg

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA
Added description

I’m revisiting some classics right now. Playing Final Fantasy 7 and GTA: San Andreas on my iPad. I don’t like touch screen games at all but these have controller support so I can use my Xbox controller. San Andreas was remastered and now looks better than it did on the PlayStation.