• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Received this USPS Priority box
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Purchased a raw Ebay book and it arrived on Thursday. This is how I received it.  WTF! Thank you USPS! :pullhair: The damaged book inside is being returned

Maybe it gets caught in their sorting machine?

When I ship out CGC books, they are double-boxed with a 1092 box inside a 1095. So, far, only one box has been mangled enough to crack the case, but fortunately the book inside was unharmed when I sent it back for a reholder.

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

is sad.

I wonder if there is a business possibility for designing a new shipping case specifically for books, comics, art, etc.

Design a very sturdy shipping container that is economical to ship. It wouldn't cost more to ship than the boxes since shipping is based on size and weight.

The advertisement would show a slab inside, then placed on the ground and a truck driving over it. After show the case has scuffs and scratches but when opened the book inside is perfect.

Would enough of them sell to make it viable?

It’s probably overkill but I discovered the 1097 fits a graded book and fits inside the 1092.

that means you can triple box a book for ultra secure packaging. Earlier this year I sent one book out this way as there wasn’t a price difference since the additional weight was negligible 

51 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

It’s probably overkill but I discovered the 1097 fits a graded book and fits inside the 1092.

that means you can triple box a book for ultra secure packaging. Earlier this year I sent one book out this way as there wasn’t a price difference since the additional weight was negligible 

Do you protect the book somehow before putting it into the 1097? After wrapping it in bubble-wrap, I can barely fit a slab inside a 1092.

The slab inside a 1092 inside a 1095 comes right in at about 2 pounds so that's as far as I tend to go, so as to not jump to the next Priority price level.  I think though, that very valuable slabs  should then be put in a larger box for the triple protection.

Does anyone else who has Collectibles Insurance Services know if books are insured when submitting to CGC?

21 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Do you protect the book somehow before putting it into the 1097? After wrapping it in bubble-wrap, I can barely fit a slab inside a 1092.

Yeah I was able to bubble wrap it. I discovered it because I was waiting on 1095s to come in the mail and went looking for priority boxes. My large PO had the 1097s and 1092s in stock so grabbed a bunch to try it out. It worked too

1 hour ago, silverweb said:

The slab inside a 1092 inside a 1095 comes right in at about 2 pounds so that's as far as I tend to go, so as to not jump to the next Priority price level.  I think though, that very valuable slabs  should then be put in a larger box for the triple protection.

Does anyone else who has Collectibles Insurance Services know if books are insured when submitting to CGC?

I had the USPS turn one of my boxes shipping to CGC into an accordion. It was covered by CI, no problems at all.

1 hour ago, silverweb said:

Yes, they are. They're even insured if you ship them to a dealer or a person.

5 hours ago, silverweb said:

Purchased a raw Ebay book and it arrived on Thursday. This is how I received it.  WTF! Thank you USPS! :pullhair: The damaged book inside is being returned

When I ship out CGC books, they are double-boxed with a 1092 box inside a 1095. So, far, only one box has been mangled enough to crack the case, but fortunately the book inside was unharmed when I sent it back for a reholder.

I had a package arrived maybe even worse than yours and I had to file an insurance claim for it.  I got my money back at least.   I think if you buy/sell books long enough, a package will run into this sooner or later even with very sturdy packaging IMO but very sturdy packaging will 
help a lot. 

11 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

I had a package arrived maybe even worse than yours and I had to file an insurance claim for it.  I got my money back at least.   I think if you buy/sell books long enough, a package will run into this sooner or later even with very sturdy packaging IMO but very sturdy packaging will 
help a lot. 

I received a modern book that had been shaken so badly that the cover was off the staples.  Outside box looked totally fine and it was very well packaged.  Seller took it back, but I have since been very nervous about mailing any high value books.

1 hour ago, electricprune said:

I had the USPS turn one of my boxes shipping to CGC into an accordion. It was covered by CI, no problems at all.

Cool. I know they require Signature Confirmation.  So I will  plan to ship my books out next week!

18 minutes ago, silverweb said:

Cool. I know they require Signature Confirmation.  So I will  plan to ship my books out next week!

I believe I added signature confirmation to that shipment. I do suggest doing it. It may not matter as much for obvious damage during shipment as maybe it would for theft while at the PO.

7 hours ago, silverweb said:

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

I don't get it....pepe need to take pride in their jobs, sorters, packers, delivery people, and especially the engineers who build the sorting machines...this is downright ridiculous