• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Tales of Suspense 39 CGC SS 6.0 (Mod-P) - signed by some guy named Stan

14 posts in this topic

Well the time has finally come.  Up for sale is my over copy to be of Tales of Suspense 39.  I'd been grappling with downgrading and increasing free cash flow for a while, and the day finally arrived.

Necessities first:

Payment:  In addition to PayPal, I will also accept check/money order/Zelle, though the book will be held until clearance.  Payment due within 10 business days.    
--- I will consider time payments on this one. Please pm in advance to discuss if you're interested in this option. ---

Shipping (domestic):  Book will be shipped via USPS registered mail (so it may take a bit longer to reach you, but it will be as secure as possible).  Shipping is included in book price.

International Shipping - please inquire first.  I will only ship this with coverage for full value, so outside of the US is likely to be expensive. 

Returns:  No returns on CGC books as you know what you're getting.

On the HoS?  Don't bother.  Probation list?  Message me first and we'll talk about your situation, but don't be overly optimistic.

Can provide board references if needed (no name dropping here), and over 1700 positive eBay feedback as well -- https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=792mn.  And I've got a fledgling kudos thread started (link is in my profile page).

First :takeit:wins the book outright, offers always welcome.  Onward!

Edited by mattn792
Added time payment option

As you can see, this book has been restored.  I bought it several years ago as part of a large group of books, and it was in rough shape (I'll post some photos of its original condition as well) - water logged, small tears, cover detached at one staple, staple rust, etc.  It needed a fresh start.  So I sent it off to Classics Incorporated prior to its purchase by CGC, and Matt and his team worked their magic.

Following the resto, I had one more bit of magic added with a perfectly placed and marvelously legible Stan Lee signature.  Literally (ok, maybe figuratively) a night and day transformation.

This was graded prior to the newly introduced restoration scale, and you can see that CGC gave the overall work -- color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned, reinforced -- a Moderate Professional rating.  The one possible minor drawback for some - the bottom edge was noted as trimmed.  In comparison to other unrestored copies and from my own up close look at this book, I get the sense that someone somewhere back in the day may have just snipped a very small amount of hanging paper off the cover when the book was at its worst.  I don't think there was any nefarious intent.  I can post a close up of the bottom edge if anyone would like.

All that said, I'm going to put the ask at $5500.  I think a good comp that I found was a 2.0 Slight C-1 which had a trimmed top edge that went for just over $2300 on eBay.  Taking into account the superior grade, workmanship, and the witnessed Stan signature on my book...well I arrived at $5500.

I am certainly open to offers as well.  First unconditional :takeit:takes it of course.

Edited by mattn792

9 minutes ago, Jginsberg79 said:

They should start a club. It's give them an outlet for their frustrations. The comic book wives club. I know mine would join.

My wife is surprisingly calm about my comic endeavors, she could be the club soothsayer.  And when the club gets a reality show on TLC, the wine supplier.