• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tradd Moore Surfer Drop July 25, 2020
2 2

142 posts in this topic

Regarding Nick Pitarra's work, I think the thing that's holding him back has been the growth of his family and the interruption of Leviathan. The latter looked great. The former involved a sick child and definitely consumed a lot of his time and concentration.

I look forward to him coming back because I really love his work. 

A commission that my wife had him do for our anniversary (Nov 2016). I had Mike Garland add digital colors. 
340358480_PitarraNick-Nickvs.Supergirl.jpg.483473fd1a73da39c2aa669ddb74a5ed.jpg

A favorite MP page because so much of the cast is in it, because they are on the moon and act like that's normal, and because there's a spacestation satillite circling the moon at low altitude. :) It was $1200 in the aftermarket in 2016. Click the image and you'll get a character key in the description. My CAF has the best descriptions. :)

119783926_PitarraNick-ManhattanProjects11page10.thumb.jpg.3e9ca995b9840f12231a7f9eebbc04b0.jpg

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

Regarding Nick Pitarra's work, I think the thing that's holding him back has been the growth of his family and the interruption of Leviathan. The latter looked great. The former involved a sick child and definitely consumed a lot of his time and concentration.

I look forward to him coming back because I really love his work. 

A commission that my wife had him do for our anniversary (Nov 2016). I had Mike Garland add digital colors. 
340358480_PitarraNick-Nickvs.Supergirl.jpg.483473fd1a73da39c2aa669ddb74a5ed.jpg

A favorite MP page because so much of the cast is in it, because they are on the moon and act like that's normal, and because there's a spacestation satillite circling the moon at low altitude. :) It was $1200 in the aftermarket in 2016. Click the image and you'll get a character key in the description. My CAF has the best descriptions. :)

119783926_PitarraNick-ManhattanProjects11page10.thumb.jpg.3e9ca995b9840f12231a7f9eebbc04b0.jpg

That’s a swell page it really is!!

17 minutes ago, Nexus said:

the collector who originally owned this issue.

FYI - this is not the first time this collector felt a financial crush and because of a previous situation is someone I will never do business with; dishonorable.

Word definitely does get around and this collector knows this.

20 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Tradd benefits from the appreciation in his art from this sale. I treated it like his art again, minus the acquisition cost. So besides the 16 lucky collectors who won yesterday, so did Tradd.

That's pretty great.

16 minutes ago, Nexus said:

For the Tradd fans, some special art you may not have seen before: A couple of SSB commissions from this year. Both commissioners are Tradd/SSB superfans and went all out by going with our Wall Power option (18"X24"). Truly spectacular in person.

Tradd's style evolves from one project to the next. He's constantly experimenting and trying new things. To this point, his style has had very distinct stages, with sometimes dramatic changes every few years. So this may be the only time a SSB commission will look like SSB proper; no guarantee it will have the same look/feel even just a year from now. Tradd mentioned this to me specifically, that he was glad he go to do this while he was still in this SSB headspace.

Too bad Marvel doesn't appear to have any sort of relevant poster program anymore. Either one of these (or both!) would be perfect for it.

traddmooresilversurferblackcommissionb.jpg

traddmooresilversurferblackgalactuscommissionb.jpg

Incredible pieces. We can only hope Marvel keeps giving Tradd wild cosmic books to work his magic on even if they won't turn such masterpieces into posters.

55 minutes ago, Nexus said:

If anyone checked out the chat on my site yesterday, there was a lot of Tradd/SSB talk there, too:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/chatdetail.asp?cId=21

Several buyers who were able to get pages showed up. And perhaps of most interest, so did the collector who originally owned this issue.

He sold it back to me when something popped up that required a sacrifice. The complete issue could accomplish his fundraising goal in one fell swoop; can't beat that for efficiency. Emotionally, it was also easier to accept than having to find a dozen (or whatever) other pieces to "trade". Especially since he got to keep his favorite SSB DPS. (That was the deal, I bought back all the art except for the DPS he kept.)

Still, I pleaded with him not to do it. To find other ways to fundraise. Because he'd regret it. A complete SSB issue isn't something that's going to happen again. A complete Tradd anything is unlikely to happen again; Tradd made an exception selling all of the SSB art. He usually keeps personally meaningful pages from all his works. I would consider it a mistake to let this go. I also warned him that if I got it back, the art would get broken up. I would be telling other collectors who had missed out on the previous drop that they'd be getting another chance. And I wouldn't go back on that. I gave him several chances to reconsider.

In the end, he still decided to go through with it. Does he regret it? Listen to our upcoming podcast to find out! (Shameless plug)

And just so everyone knows, Tradd benefits from the appreciation in his art from this sale. I treated it like his art again, minus the acquisition cost. So besides the 16 lucky collectors who won yesterday, so did Tradd.

Great to see so many Tradd fans here. He deserves it.

What a great update!!!!

Informative!!!!

Behind the scenes!!

Pretty  sure were all looking forward to the Podcast....

So the previous owner released the 16 pages in order to make a big purchase.

Gotta check out the podcast with Felix. Incredible insight as to how and why these pages became available. Also some other sad drop missed out stories and at least one of the winners.

⬆️See Nexus post for that link

Edited by grapeape

6 hours ago, filmboyuk said:

I don't really do commissions, I focus on published work - but I'd make an exception for one of those Tradd Moore Wall Power pieces, they are really stunning.

Thanks, filmboyuk. Our guys have caused a lot of collectors into making that exception;) And nice avatar...I used to own that page!

Edited by Nexus

19 hours ago, vodou said:

FYI - this is not the first time this collector felt a financial crush and because of a previous situation is someone I will never do business with; dishonorable.

Word definitely does get around and this collector knows this.

Hey vodou...I'm thinking you're mistaking this collector for someone else? I've dealt with him a lot, and he's always kept his word. As far as that goes, I wouldn't describe him as "dishonorable" at all. I bet neither would any other buyer or seller he's interacted with. Quite the opposite and actually an unfailingly nice kid. (If you're younger than me, you're a kid!:P)

10 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Hey vodou...I'm thinking you're mistaking this collector for someone else? I've dealt with him a lot, and he's always kept his word. As far as that goes, I wouldn't describe him as "dishonorable" at all. I bet neither would any other buyer or seller he's interacted with. Quite the opposite and actually an unfailingly nice kid. (If you're younger than me, you're a kid!:P)

Nope. Same guy. 100%. And he even used your name as a reference too. Total #fail for honor.

I'm younger than you too and happy to be a kid :)

I have to admit, I had no idea who Tradd Moore was. I mostly collector older art, but there are a few exceptions. This would have been one of them. 

His art is pretty special, but when I look at SSB, my mind say "Steranko".  Does anyone else see that?

20 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

I have to admit, I had no idea who Tradd Moore was. I mostly collector older art, but there are a few exceptions. This would have been one of them. 

His art is pretty special, but when I look at SSB, my mind say "Steranko".  Does anyone else see that?

100%. His art reminds me a lot of the trippier Steranko pieces.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, Nexus said:

For the Tradd fans, some special art you may not have seen before: A couple of SSB commissions from this year. Both commissioners are Tradd/SSB superfans and went all out by going with our Wall Power option (18"X24"). Truly spectacular in person.

Tradd's style evolves from one project to the next. He's constantly experimenting and trying new things. To this point, his style has had very distinct stages, with sometimes dramatic changes every few years. So this may be the only time a SSB commission will look like SSB proper; no guarantee it will have the same look/feel even just a year from now. Tradd mentioned this to me specifically, that he was glad he go to do this while he was still in this SSB headspace.

Too bad Marvel doesn't appear to have any sort of relevant poster program anymore. Either one of these (or both!) would be perfect for it.

traddmooresilversurferblackcommissionb.jpg

traddmooresilversurferblackgalactuscommissionb.jpg

If Trad were ever so inclined, I'm certain he would see great success in a second career as a muralist.  These are incredible.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:58 PM, grapeape said:

Bummer I know. Still hoping to hear from a lucky winner in the Felix lottery!

Bump

I know you’re out there. I know at least 2. Come on share with the class!

p l e a s e

:foryou: