• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tradd Moore Surfer Drop July 25, 2020
2 2

142 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2020 at 7:59 AM, First Upgrade said:

This was the second page in my cart. I would have INSTANTLY traded my last Silver-Age Jack Kirby Captain America page for the two Modern-Age Tradd Moore Silver Surfer: Black pages that I held through checkout...

That’s saying something. I’m a 60’s 70’s 80’s collector. Tradd Moore and Frank Quitely and a few others have drawn some of my attention away from my once 💯 % focus in that area.

There was a time when I would’ve said you’re crazy. But I’ve learned my lesson. I once believed the 80’s Moebius take on superhero’s like Surfer and Ironman were dreadful. 

Now I regret that my untrained eye, my biased palette prevented me from getting an example back then.

I like to find greatness before I’m told “it’s great.” That’s part of the rush. I think SSB is ahead of its future, high above on a widely held appreciation peak.

17 minutes ago, grapeape said:

That’s saying something. I’m a 60’s 70’s 80’s collector. Tradd Moore and Frank Quitely and a few others have drawn some of my attention away from my once 💯 % focus in that area.

There was a time when I would’ve said you’re crazy. But I’ve learned my lesson. I once believed the 80’s Moebius take on superhero’s like Surfer and Ironman were dreadful. 

Now I regret that my untrained eye, my biased palette prevented me from getting an example back then.

I like to find greatness before I’m told “it’s great.” That’s part of the rush. I think SSB is ahead of its future, high above on a widely held appreciation peak.

I'm of the age where i grew up on a healthy diet of late 70s, 80s and early 90s comic art, lost my way in the mid 90s and came back to it  about six years ago.  My pallet is probably more attuned to the classics. 

At first i didn't get Tradd's style.  SSB opened my eyes! Missing out, last week,  on the page i wanted stings more (a week later)  than it originally did! Being relatively new to the hobby I'm not accustomed to this "yearning" (for lack of a better word). Says a lot about his art and about the page in question. 

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

But I’ve learned my lesson.

I have been 'here' before, many times before...& I too have learned my lesson.

Once upon a time, I had the 'drop' on a healthy chunk of 'early' Charlie Adlard original comic book art to The Walking Dead. This was several months before the AMC series was shooting. Well before the classic SDCC trailer drop. Long story short, I flinched while consulting & negotiating with others who did not share my vision. The 'deal' vaporized. And, the rest is history...

While I still look at 'most' of the original comic book art dealer updates, these days, only Felix Comic Art & Nostalgic Investments have presented material that appeals to both me & my wallet.

For many years now, only the 'big two' auction houses have consistently presented 'vintage' material that appeals to both me & my wallet. Certainly, private sellers, comic book shops, & eBay have provided excellent opportunities.

23 hours ago, grapeape said:

Bump

I know you’re out there. I know at least 2. Come on share with the class!

p l e a s e

:foryou:

Of the 16 who got a page from last week's drop, I only recognize one as ever having been on the boards here. The boards really only represents a tiny subset of OA collectors. Just letting you know so you don't feel ignored!

19 hours ago, dichotomy said:

I’ve found 6 of the winners so far, and one incredibly lucky person secured 2 pages!!! 

No one got more than one page from last week's drop. However, there are a few collectors who have more than one, having also gotten lucky at the previous drop last year. I also know one lucky bastich who has 18 pieces!:P

The aftermarket on these pages has gone supernova in the past week. I hear crazy offers have been thrown around on the publicly-known pages, and that there have been at least two five-figure all-cash deals. Owners have been writing me asking if they should sell. Yes, sell, because this is STOOPID!:P (With the understanding that they're unlikely to be able to replace.) I'm as big a Tradd fan as anyone, and I didn't see this coming (obviously). Not so soon, anyway.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

No one got more than one page from last week's drop. However, there are a few collectors who have more than one, having also gotten lucky at the previous drop last year. I also know one lucky bastich who has 18 pieces!:P

The aftermarket on these pages has gone supernova in the past week. I hear crazy offers have been thrown around on the publicly-known pages, and that there have been at least two five-figure all-cash deals. Owners have been writing me asking if they should sell. Yes, sell, because this is STOOPID!:P (With the understanding that they're unlikely to be able to replace.) I'm as big a Tradd fan as anyone, and I didn't see this coming (obviously). Not so soon, anyway.

I'm curious, were those 5 figure deals for an individual page? Or was it for a lot? What I've heard indicates the right individual pages could be five figures, but I haven't been privy to any transactions which closed.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Wow. Contender for this hobby's all-time worst market timing: the guy that just took "even" for the majority of his complete book.

image.thumb.png.62667640dda4d7c928e4e19a25fa508d.png

1 minute ago, vodou said:

Wow. Contender for this hobby's all-time worst market timing: the guy that just took "even" for the majority of his complete book.

image.thumb.png.62667640dda4d7c928e4e19a25fa508d.png

To be fair, I think it's a little chicken or the egg. I doubt the market would have exploded so soon without the drop his sale enabled reconfirming the absolutely insane demand for these pages.

8 minutes ago, Varanis said:

To be fair, I think it's a little chicken or the egg. I doubt the market would have exploded so soon without the drop his sale enabled reconfirming the absolutely insane demand for these pages.

The demand was already there, the supply wasn't. And still isn't. Sixteen new pieces, didn't really dent that, did it?

1 minute ago, vodou said:

The demand was already there, the supply wasn't. And still isn't. Sixteen new pieces, didn't really dent that, did it?

Exactly, but it takes numerous sales for those creating the demand to re-calibrate market price upward. Unfortunately for the owner of issue #2, their sale was the one to catalyze that re-calibration. One could argue that was predictable, but demand is always prospective until sales occur. 

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

The aftermarket on these pages has gone supernova in the past week. I hear crazy offers have been thrown around on the publicly-known pages, and that there have been at least two five-figure all-cash deals. Owners have been writing me asking if they should sell. Yes, sell, because this is STOOPID!:P (With the understanding that they're unlikely to be able to replace.) I'm as big a Tradd fan as anyone, and I didn't see this coming (obviously). Not so 

I've passed on lots of opportunities to buy art this year. Intending to save for a grail purchase and deciding to focus on nostalgia  over modern examples. 

Last week's art drop had me loosen the purse strings for the first time.... and possibly only time. 

Everything you said,  while a bit illogical makes sense.  The FOMO is real. You'll have to offer more to convince one of the sixteen buyers to part with a page. That much is for certain. 

Edited by Stefanomjr

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

Of the 16 who got a page from last week's drop, I only recognize one as ever having been on the boards here. The boards really only represents a tiny subset of OA collectors. Just letting you know so you don't feel ignored!

Oh no, thank you. I’m just egging on anyone wanting to share or who knows someone who grabbed a page. I’m just happy Tradd and this art in particular getting recognized so admiringly. Well deserved.

Honestly to the winners it might serve them well to lay low for awhile. Just enjoy the art without (184-who knows how many) collectors bugging them to sell.