• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tradd Moore Surfer Drop July 25, 2020
2 2

142 posts in this topic

I was describing the Tradd Moore Silver Surfer: Black art drop to an 'experienced', older original comic book art guy who has long been "out of touch" with 'real-time' valuations. He 'sees' through the filter of yesterday's asking & realized prices. If the work doesn't appeal to his Frazetta, Eisner, Adams, & BWS taste, then he doesn't 'value' it & certainly not even close to what today's 'market' yields.

He reviewed the selection & took a minute to accept the results of the SSB #2 drop[50k!?!?]...his first reaction was that the art was 'underpriced' by a minimum of 25%. His claim was solely based on the 'speed' at which all of the pages sold.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:32 AM, Nexus said:

Of the 16 who got a page from last week's drop, I only recognize one as ever having been on the boards here. The boards really only represents a tiny subset of OA collectors. Just letting you know so you don't feel ignored!

I have found the solution. Felix it’s time.

Tradd we need you buddy.

SSB 6 or a 200 page four part SSB miniseries or annual
World class event.

Art for art sake

speculation be damned 

If not I’ll continue to enjoy the pages displayed for public admiration.

It's true, about Felix being great at his job. I don't have an interest in this series since I never read it but can't be denied how successful his site is always having things listed a sold. He seems to be tone of the few people in the comic art sphere whose been able to really utilize social media and break the barrier from the art collector world to the more average fan who might just want one page. His group of artists also seem the best at connecting to the younger generation since many of them are in the same demographic or at least have the same interest in media which draws people in along with their unique and modern art styles. I can't imagine a lot of older artists doing commission or fan work off of  anime properties like Akira for example.

Since this thread has been bumped, I noticed the following in this week's CAF market round-up email:

" To round out the top 5, a Silver Surfer and Galactus Commission by Tradd Moore sold for $10,000 by Felix Comic Art".

I'm not sure if this is Tradd's normal commission rate, or something special that was negotiated, but I can imagine a Galactus/SS piece from him will be fairly epic either way.

57 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

Since this thread has been bumped, I noticed the following in this week's CAF market round-up email:

" To round out the top 5, a Silver Surfer and Galactus Commission by Tradd Moore sold for $10,000 by Felix Comic Art".

I'm not sure if this is Tradd's normal commission rate, or something special that was negotiated, but I can imagine a Galactus/SS piece from him will be fairly epic either way.

The detail in that commission was breathtaking. 

2 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

Felix posted it earlier in this thread. Here's the SS / Galactus commission along with another large piece Tradd did.

traddmooresilversurferblackcommissionb.jpg.428a0cb9f9301fe12e3ffd5aa0fec090.jpg

traddmooresilversurferblackgalactuscommissionb.jpg.37d275c1358349031bf9cfd45dfe2cf1.jpg

3 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

This piece is oversized, at 18"X24" (what we call our "Wall Power" option for commissions). $10K was the rate when this commission was arranged. For his latest list, the rate was $12K for for two characters in our Wall Power option.

And since AKIRA was mentioned in another post, Tradd's doing a Wall Power AKIRA commission on this current list. Will share here when it's done.

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

Tradd's next big project is not SSB...but it's such a perfect followup that I don't think anyone will mind! His art is obviously labor-intensive, so between that and the pandemic shuffling scheduling, may be a while before it's announced. But I have no doubt fans will approve! In the meantime, there are a couple of smaller, but very high-profile, gigs that I'll be able to share soon. I'll make sure to also do that here!

My heart wants Tradd on CGR, but my wallet most definitely doesn't... Would seem like a good follow up seeing it's cosmic and Tradd's done his fair share of Ghost Rider.

I think Tradd has a Spider-man short that was solicited for this Fall / Winter, right?

Not just toy guys. The art poster collectors over on Expresso Beans complain about bots all the time. They seem to be becoming a way of life for the Uber quick-draw drop of very finite items online.

Not sure how it’d work with an OA drop tho. Unless you are the kind of buyer willing to take anything on the table. I mean posters, toys, shoes. When a limited one drops, it’s a “lot” of the same thing. With art all one of a kind...

I wouldn’t ever understand buying just anything for the sake of getting something, but maybe others would?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-49283059

Edited by ESeffinga

It wouldn't be very difficult at all to write a -script to scrape a page of listed art and look for specific keywords or issue numbers to use as a deciding factor to pop something into a cart and do a checkout.

It would be especially easy to build and test for an existing website with a lot of content already present, especially if the listings used consistent patterns - the barrier to entry to that sort of thing is typically low. 

With really hot/in-demand "drops", I've always thought that a fairly simple first step solution would be to simply have a one-per-customer limit, for say the first 24 hours of release.  Yes, there are some who will inevitably game the system and have others buying for them as well, but even then the fact that they would be reliant on completing multiple transactions would help flatten the play field somewhat.

Note: I'm not specifically speaking of Felix here.  I've never bought from him and don't know how quickly things usually go at release.  It's more of a comment on sneakers, posters,toys and other things where you often have folks snapping up multiples for resale.

Flippers gonna flip, but I don’t think there’s much to show anybody is buying from someone like Felix’s drops with an eye towards making a buck. I think Felix tends to price pretty close to market anyhow.

Which isn’t to say people don’t buy multiple pages when they have an opportunity. But if his guys are always selling out all the time, it might become an eventuality (flippers). But all hypothetical blah blah blah at this point.

The bot/-script question is an interesting one - it was my first thought when looking at these drops, but my old fashioned fingers used to be good enough so I didn’t delve much deeper. Recently, I’ve been striking out more and so the question comes back into play -  used in moderation an automated tool would be very efficient, but I if abused the management could take steps to rectify or censor the person. It would be easy enough to weed out offenders by physical mailing addresses. Again, OA is 1/1 and sale numbers are always going to be lower than anything mass produced, so the vendor will have time to look at every order, if necessary. My two cents.