• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tradd Moore Surfer Drop July 25, 2020
2 2

142 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Stefanomjr said:

Gladly trade my badge for the page I wanted.  Went though the gauntlet and four hours later got the "I'm so sorry..." if the new buyer is willing to sell,  let me know

gK6y4LCVFfF380PC1gPYPNJS.jpg

I also had that same page in my cart, completed check out, & waited hours to open the 'I am very sorry to tell you that..." email.

7 minutes ago, Stefanomjr said:

Gladly trade my badge for the page I wanted.  Went though the gauntlet and four hours later got the "I'm so sorry..." if the new buyer is willing to sell,  let me know

gK6y4LCVFfF380PC1gPYPNJS.jpg

Oh celestial space ways truly an exotic genesis expression. I said it. I don’t know what it means. But I said it.

Extraordinary piece of art. I’m sorry for you and I hope we all get a shot to “own”  a piece if only for a little while. Do you ever really own a piece of art? Or does it own you?

So, I like some of the art from SSB a lot, and don't like some of it. It was at the height of what I'd be willing to pay, especially for new art. 2 weeks ago I bought decade old Marvel covers for around the same price that have stood the test of time. Clearly there are many interested though.

Has any sold on the secondary market? I wonder what happened, did the previous owner have to sell? I guess he bet on the right horse!

At a year old, my only concerns were how this story is regarded in the future.

This was the only page ($3000) I was interested in because it had the most Surfer in it http://www.felixcomicart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=25829

1445601351_SSBlack_2_15_3000.jpg.c6ca5b4b2d11df4813c577c4145e393c.jpg

This was a second ($3500), I like Galactus too but the Surfer was too small http://www.felixcomicart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=25817

1260972216_SSBlack_2_1_3500.jpg.276474168563d47479b61832f4d03410.jpg

Edited by Twanj

11 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

I also had that same page in my cart, completed check out, & waited hours to open the 'I am very sorry to tell you that..." email.

I’m sorry for you as well. Somebody’s happy today but it’s not me.

3 minutes ago, Twanj said:

So, I like some of the art from SSB a lot, and don't like some of it. It was at the height of what I'd be willing to pay, especially for new art. 2 weeks ago I bought decade old Marvel covers for around the same price that have stood the test of time. Clearly there are many interested though.

This was the only page ($3000) I was interested in because it had the most Surfer in it http://www.felixcomicart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=25829

1445601351_SSBlack_2_15_3000.jpg.c6ca5b4b2d11df4813c577c4145e393c.jpg

This was a second ($3500), I like Galactus too but the Surfer was too small http://www.felixcomicart.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=25817

Yes as a Surfer fan that page with Surfer in each panel stood out: every single page was gorgeous though.

My opinion on these pages, don’t worry about future value. There is something really special about these 5 books of art. 
Thanks for posting the pics it helps to see what we’re all pursuing.

24 minutes ago, Twanj said:

This was the second page in my cart. I would have INSTANTLY traded my last Silver-Age Jack Kirby Captain America page for the two Modern-Age Tradd Moore Silver Surfer: Black pages that I held through checkout...

6 hours ago, Carlo M said:

....and got to keep 6 pages, probably the better ones (I have not checked).  Well done! 

The drop had 16 pieces. One was a DPS, so those 16 pieces account for 17 out of 21 pages - so well more than half. There were only 2 pieces not included in the drop as the remaining 4 pages were 2 DPS's. One is probably the best piece from the book and also the 2nd print cover. The other is good, but there were several pages that were in the drop that I think are much better. I think it's very meaningful that the main cover was included in the drop.

3 hours ago, Twanj said:

Has any sold on the secondary market? I wonder what happened, did the previous owner have to sell? I guess he bet on the right horse!

None has sold yet at auction. I know of at least 1 page that sold privately but I don't know for how much. It was not too long after the first drop, so the $$ probably wasn't too crazy. The original owner of SS:B #2 was in a position where he needed to sell. As @grapeape has already mentioned, I don't think there's any need to worry about how this story is regarded in the future. The demand for this art goes beyond Felix's ability to build hype. The demand is organic. I would not be shocked if SS:B is the next to join the upper echelons of premiere titles chased by elite collectors. 

2 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

For my taste, this partial Tradd Moore Silver Surfer: Black #2 art drop was the overall most satisfying selection of original art in the last seven months...across numerous categories...[perceived] aesthetic quality, composition, execution, content, pricing, 'relevance'...

Not a single page 'newly' posted for public sale from ANY other original comic book art dealer within the last seven months had me even remotely interested in buying...not a single color guide for that matter!...& I check almost daily...

The partial story sold for $50k...& I agree, it may have been [significantly] 'underpriced'...let that settle into everyone's 'understanding'...recalibrate...

I have to agree here. I was shocked at how low the pages were priced. I've heard of enough near deals and quotes in private to know how highly these pages are valued. I think nay sayers are going to be in for a shock when a SS:B page eventually hits an auction house. 

Edited by Varanis

I will join in the misery of loss. I got blanked as well. Nice thing was the site ran the best it ever did for me at a drop. made sure my PC was hardwired to internet, kicked everyone else in the house off the connection, autofilled everything. Got 4 requests in before the holds, but no luck. I am interested in how many requests Felix got, i'm betting around 1000. 

I however am a fortunate one who picked up a page at the drop last year, with the SS on board, so I have an example.

And ditto to most others thoughts, the pieces were underpriced compared to what I would have paid(and significantly to some others.)

1 hour ago, Varanis said:

The drop had 16 pieces. One was a DPS, so those 16 pieces account for 17 out of 21 pages - so well more than half. There were only 2 pieces not included in the drop as the remaining 4 pages were 2 DPS's. One is probably the best piece from the book and also the 2nd print cover. The other is good, but there were several pages that were in the drop that I think are much better. I think it's very meaningful that the main cover was included in the drop.

None has sold yet at auction. I know of at least 1 page that sold privately but I don't know for how much. It was not too long after the first drop, so the $$ probably wasn't too crazy. The original owner of SS:B #2 was in a position were he needed to sell. As @grapeape has already mentioned, I don't think there's any need to worry about how this story is regarded in the future. The demand for this art goes beyond Felix's ability to build hype. The demand is organic. I would not be shocked if SS:B is the next to join the upper echelons of premiere titles chased by elite collectors. 

I have to agree here. I was shocked at how low the pages were priced. I've heard of enough near deals and quotes in private to know how highly these pages are valued. I think nay sayers are going to be in for a shock when a SS:B page eventually hits an auction house. 

I agree with everything you said here. The drop of course feels manipulative but the appreciation and desire for this art is organic and palpable.

I congratulate you again on your special piece from # 5....if you guys missed it scroll ⬆️ up....

36 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I agree with everything you said here. The drop of course feels manipulative but the appreciation and desire for this art is organic and palpable.

I congratulate you again on your special piece from # 5....if you guys missed it scroll ⬆️ up....

Thanks again @grapeape! Link for those who don't want to scroll.

I like the game show type of atmosphere Felix creates with these drops. I had sticker shock on the prices, I had a set a price in mind for a mid tier page... I was so under that the asking price made up my mind for me. I would watch for the sidelines.

I think obviously they were worth the asking price or they would still be on the site today. 

I did notice I had to fight the what the heck impulse buy because of the FOMO that these type of drops create. I managed to fight it off, will it be one of those moments I regret down the line...it  could be! But today, I have no regrets.. these type of drops are for a high tier collector than I.

There is no doubt in my mind this is a special artistic milestone by a hyper talented artist. I think if he can continue to do major projects with this level of polish and creativity his prices will continue on the same upward trajectory... it was a good day to be Tradd Moore! 

Edited by gumbydarnit

⬆️ gumbydarnit makes excellent points.

I understand the sticker shock. Especially if it’s outside the norm of what you spend for art. There comes a time when every collector is tempted to go beyond their comfort level.
Don’t regret it based on future investment potential. This hobby is humbling enough without adding our own self excoriating soul beat downs.

It was exciting to try for these pieces. That’s the journey and of course acquisition then appreciation is the mountain top!

Still waiting for a post from a Tradd Moore SSB 2 winner.....:news:

Edited by grapeape

9 hours ago, Twanj said:

Re: Secondary Market
Yes, most of book 2. Felix was (for the first time?) a reseller of art on the secondary market.

Re: Have to sell
My assumption (and, yes, I know what assume stands for) is that the buyer bought the issue so he could have his pick of pages and then offered the balance back for Felix to resell. Pretty smart if you have the cash to cover the float.

I wonder if we'll see more of that strategy - buy the book, take the pages you want, resell the rest.

Edited by alxjhnsn

2 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I wonder if we'll see more of that strategy - buy the book, take the pages you want, resell the rest.

I've wondered about this too, but it's a really risky proposition. To make this play you have to KNOW a C grade panel page from the book will have demand going forward. That can't be said for very many books. For the few it can be said for, I'd say even fewer were predictable. Silver Surfer: Black is the only recent book I can think of where the art was just so staggeringly good that you could expect an exceptionally high baseline even from the worst of pages. Even Tradd's other books don't meet the bar. There are no talking heads pages in SS:B while Tradd has had many a talking heads page sit for sale for years.

Other books where this might have worked: Stegman Venom (a bit hit or miss, but there were a lot of hits), Shaw Thanos (you had to have a good read on this one early on), DWJ Wonder Woman: Dead Earth (these are fetching pretty lofty prices complete, so the jig is up already here), any others? All take a bit of foresight and garner a large bill of risk.

Edited by Varanis
grammar

8 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

I will join in the misery of loss. I got blanked as well. Nice thing was the site ran the best it ever did for me at a drop. made sure my PC was hardwired to internet, kicked everyone else in the house off the connection, autofilled everything. Got 4 requests in before the holds, but no luck. I am interested in how many requests Felix got, i'm betting around 1000. 

I however am a fortunate one who picked up a page at the drop last year, with the SS on board, so I have an example.

And ditto to most others thoughts, the pieces were underpriced compared to what I would have paid(and significantly to some others.)

Pages will be on the market in a couple years, I have no doubt.