• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sometimes an Inker really screws up a cover

20 posts in this topic

Just now, OtherEric said:

I'm confused.  You're saying Mike Grell, the inker, screwed up the work of Mike Grell, the penciler?

Yep, if Mike did the inking in this case he was "asked" to make some changes. :bigsmile: 

2 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Very possible.  Although I would blame the obvious incompetence on the color separations person...

Or perhaps, there was no obvious in the OA? hm :bigsmile: 

Edited by divad

5 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I can't see what you are referring to--- can you point out the issues? It is a confusing cover but I am not sure I understand your point.

I thought he meant her top but not sure. She has the longest leg (just the one though) in the universe!

46 minutes ago, Bird said:

I thought he meant her top but not sure. She has the longest leg (just the one though) in the universe!

I was thinking the top was odd-- like they drew in something to cover the bewbs. But the entire cover is pretty clumsy looking. And that leg--- wow- did not see that. Not hard to imagine it being missed-- there is just so much to try  and decipher with the criss-crossing bodies etc.

At a distance it doesn’t look bad, but it falls apart under close scrutiny.  Clumsy, confusing, poor figure work, sums it up.

I’ve never noticed the problems with the cover before.

2 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

How are these issues attributable to the inking?

Would someone with more OA experience than I, please explain what an inker's job entailed in 1980 and earlier? Maybe JT knows the answer and is just setting up the question. hm

9 hours ago, divad said:

Would someone with more OA experience than I, please explain what an inker's job entailed in 1980 and earlier? Maybe JT knows the answer and is just setting up the question. hm

I think it's still kinda the same as it ever was. Fill in the line art details. If it's a different guy than the penciler then the end result really depends on how tight the pencils are that get to the inker. Some guys go very loose and the inker puts a lot of detail in according to their own style, some guys are more detailed and leave less or very little interpretation to the inker.

On 7/27/2020 at 4:20 AM, JTLarsen said:

How are these issues attributable to the inking?

Yup. For me, poor, confused design / composition / arrangement and poor figure work. That would all be present in the pencils.

The hand at the top left of the cover looks like a right hand to me, holding the sword very awkwardly...but whose right hand is it?!? Also, and this I definitely never noticed before, was her top added after pencils or even inking? It's partially translucent on the right side...like the original was too risque. 

UPDATE: after looking around here I have found she is always wearing that. 

Edited by PeterPark

It's odd but I feel the penciller will mess up his artwork more so than someone else, I just see it happen more often.

Anyone remember Igor Kordy's New X-Men run, YIKES!

But the one that comes to mind is actually a friend of mine and someone I deeply admire and respect. I just don't feel he was the best person to ink his work.
Amazon.com: Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk #2 (of 6) eBook: Lindelof ...