• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spiderman blue label label and restoration
3 3

19 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I posted this in the ask CGC section but no replies yet.  I am curious what some of you guys think about this:

I saw an Amazing Spiderman 9 in cgc 8.5 with a spiderman speciality label.

This book was a blue label but had the top edge of cover trimmed and color touch.  This restoration is disclosed on the label but it is still a blue label book.  There is no mention of the restoration above the numerical grade.

How can a restored book with trimming and color touch get a blue label? 

There are also several other books with the Spiderman label and different degrees of restoration.  

This is very misleading to the buyer of the book.  I think it should be a purple spiderman speciality label as to not mislead a buyer.

Jeff

I hear what you’re saying.  The standard has always been a purple label.  However it does still state the restoration on the label itself.  I suppose it could be “misleading” if you don’t read the label.  I don’t know why they do not make the purple specialty labels.  But if someone is buying a book, I think it would be a good idea to actually read the label.

5 minutes ago, jeffreyk said:

Hi everyone,

I posted this in the ask CGC section but no replies yet.  I am curious what some of you guys think about this:

I saw an Amazing Spiderman 9 in cgc 8.5 with a spiderman speciality label.

This book was a blue label but had the top edge of cover trimmed and color touch.  This restoration is disclosed on the label but it is still a blue label book.  There is no mention of the restoration above the numerical grade.

How can a restored book with trimming and color touch get a blue label? 

There are also several other books with the Spiderman label and different degrees of restoration.  

This is very misleading to the buyer of the book.  I think it should be a purple spiderman speciality label as to not mislead a buyer.

Jeff

I would agree that it should be a purple label, but I can’t think of any special labels I’ve seen in purple. Maybe that isn’t possible? It should be for reasons like this, otherwise people will eventually use them to game the system and hide resto from someone who isn’t careful enough to read the blue label.  

16 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Books with resto aren’t supposed to receive custom labels .  It’s a F-up by CGC

Theres a thread about this somewhere....

I must have missed that thread.  This is so misleading and the books with this restoration and blue labels are going for very strong prices.  

21 minutes ago, jeffreyk said:

I must have missed that thread.  This is so misleading and the books with this restoration and blue labels are going for very strong prices.  

Someone from CGC posted and requested the books be sent back in to be corrected.  Apparently that’s not happening...

3 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Someone from CGC posted and requested the books be sent back in to be corrected.  Apparently that’s not happening...

There are also several restored books in Marvel specialty labels mentioned in the Red Hood thread about tight grading.

Either someone may have found a loophole that gets these restored books into specialty Blue labels and CGC hasn't noticed the error yet or we just happen to be spotting several mistakes and it's making it look like it's a pattern.

22 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Either someone may have found a loophole that gets these restored books into specialty Blue labels and CGC hasn't noticed the error yet or we just happen to be spotting several mistakes and it's making it look like it's a pattern.

Brittany M. 125 posts

Posted November 12, 2019

On 11/12/2019 at 1:03 PM, bababooey said:

According to the news releases from Feb, April & July these labels are only supposed to be used only for Universal and Signature series books so these examples may only be errors.

So the question for CGC is:    

Are the examples in this thread showing us a workaround to accommodate keeping restored books under the custom label program OR are we looking at errors that got through QC and all restored/qualified books should be getting rejected from the custom label program?

@Brittany M. @dena

The Marvel labels are only for Universal and Signature Series books. They are not for Restoration or Qualified books. Those books should have Purple Restoration labels.

Please send them back in and I will have all the labels fixed immediately.

Email: bmcmanus@cgccomics.com

In CGC's defense, they would need the following Spider-Man specialty labels: Blue (Universal), Purple (Restored), Green (Conserved), and Yellow (Signature Series). I'm not sure how many specialty labels there are (my count was 11), but I don't know if it would make economic sense to have four different labels for each specialty label. How many conserved books requesting a Spider-Man specialty label would there be? I can't imagine that it would be a high number. I feel the same is true for restored books.

You can't expect CGC to plan for every possible contingency. I believe that it is CGC's intention to only allow specialty labels for Blue and Yellow labels. Have books slipped through that should not have received a blue/yellow label? I have no doubt that this is true. Mistakes happen; just think how many books CGC grades in a month, let alone a year. As @DocHoppus182 stated, if you're not reading the label, that's on you, not on CGC.

The Amazing Spiderman auctions I was following on Ebay with several of these mislabeled books just closed and all went for full values of an unrestored book.  These were early Spidermans in the thousands of dollars.  This was a big mistake on CGCs part in my opinion.  Buyer beware.  

24 minutes ago, jeffreyk said:

The Amazing Spiderman auctions I was following on Ebay with several of these mislabeled books just closed and all went for full values of an unrestored book.  These were early Spidermans in the thousands of dollars.  This was a big mistake on CGCs part in my opinion.  Buyer beware.  

:facepalm:

27 minutes ago, Georgie123 said:

I bet the sale goes on gpa as a universal sale and totally screws up values

And if it does, @gpanalysis is a board member and can address the situation I’m sure.  

Again, I understand what some are saying about having the blue label be an issue.  However!  People need to do the appropriate amount of “research” when they’re buying something.  In this instance by “research” I mean, reading the label.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

There are also several restored books in Marvel specialty labels mentioned in the Red Hood thread about tight grading.

As rare as SCS:baiting: