• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back boards - shiny side or dull side? THE MYSTERY REVEALED!

80 posts in this topic

Common boards acidify in less than two years - Pull anyone of your old TOS's that you have stored in poly/common. See the brown specks on the shiny side of the board? That's acidification - That deteriorates the book. Either way you lose sumo.gif

The only alternative is to spend the money (sorry kilty) grin.gif

Divad is correct. Really commom with older books. That's why I store all my "good" books in Mylite2's w/ Fullbacks. No worries then. cloud9.gif

Common boards acidify in less than two years - Pull anyone of your old TOS's that you have stored in poly/common. See the brown specks on the shiny side of the board? That's acidification - That deteriorates the book. Either way you lose

The only alternative is to spend the money (sorry kilty) grin.gif

Divad is correct. Really commom with older books. That's why I store all my "good" books in Mylite2's w/ Fullbacks. No worries then.

FFB:

Good experiment.

While you've got the "pencil" and the motivation, how about testing any of these that you have on hand?

a carbonate-buffered board (is that what a fullback is?) fresh and after a period of use in both mylar and polypropylene.

a standard board after a period of use in both mylar and polypropylene.

Might make a worthwhile short article in one of the comics magazines.

Jack

FFB,

Thanks for the test results. It's definitely interesting, and reassuring to know that I used the correct side. Now, given that I haven't changed some of those old bags and boards for 15 years, now that's another issue. sorry.gif

sign-offtopic.gif So which side of Aluminum foil should I use? confused-smiley-013.gif

And no it's not for making a pointy hat. gossip.gif

You should fold the entire book in aluminum foil then place it in a microwave oven for 2 minutes as additional safety. thumbsup2.gif

sign-offtopic.gif So which side of Aluminum foil should I use? confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually a lot of people don't know the answer to this either. You should place food against the dull side of the foil.

Hurray!

For 30 years I've been doing it right! acclaim.gif

My thoughts were always:

"They left the bad side dull so you could write a price/grade on the back of the board showing through the rear of the comic bag."

Thus, the shiny side appears to be the "non-acidic" side of the back board, while the dull side appears to be quite acidic by comparison.

Thanks for the test, but I never understood why it was even in doubt.

After all, why in the world would standard backing board manufacturers spend MORE to treat one side of the board, if you weren't actually *supposed* to use it? confused-smiley-013.gif

That's the reason I've always used the shiny side.

Hurray!

My thoughts were always:

"They left the bad side dull so you could write a price/grade on the back of the board showing through the rear of the comic bag."

Aces, I've started doing that very thing to some of my books that I know my family would have no idea about, in case something happens to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hurray!

My thoughts were always:

Aces, I've started doing that very thing to some of my books that I know my family would have no idea about, in case something happens to me. confused-smiley-013.gif
The amount of guns you have its very wise your doing this tongue.gifstooges.gif

Actually a lot of people don't know the answer to this either. You should place food against the dull side of the foil.

I really didn't know this. What is the harm from the shiny side. Fortunately I'm not the one that uses it.

I really didn't know this. What is the harm from the shiny side. Fortunately I'm not the one that uses it.

There is no "harm" - the shiny side reflects the radiant heat better.