• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back boards - shiny side or dull side? THE MYSTERY REVEALED!

80 posts in this topic

sign-offtopic.gif So which side of Aluminum foil should I use? confused-smiley-013.gif

And no it's not for making a pointy hat. gossip.gif

Actually a lot of people don't know the answer to this either. You should place food against the dull side of the foil.

That's not what this says. confused-smiley-013.gif

Nor is it what this says.

foreheadslap.gif

Have I mentioned lately that Iove these boards????893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

what I dont understand really is why would one side be any different than the other? Isnt the board manufactured to ONE ph-level in huge vats and left to fry into sheets which are cut down to comic board size?? Like amy other paper product? Does flattenning one side (accounting for the shininess of it) CHANGE its ph?? Or are these boards 'married' with 2 different kinds of paper used?

dont make sense...

what does the manufacturer say is the side to use? and why? perhaps they think we prefer a shiny board next to our comics and shiny-ing up ONE side is cheaper than pressing BOTH sides...

so Im guessing both sides may in fact have diferent ph-levels, but it's due to something else than pre-planning.

what I dont understand really is why would one side be any different than the other? Isnt the board manufactured to ONE ph-level in huge vats and left to fry into sheets which are cut down to comic board size?? Like amy other paper product? Does flattenning one side (accounting for the shininess of it) CHANGE its ph?? Or are these boards 'married' with 2 different kinds of paper used?

dont make sense...

One side is sprayed with an alkaline buffered solution. Apparently it doesn't penetrate all the way through the board. Like you, I expected the pH level to be identical on both sides of the board. I was surprised to find that it was not.

For those of you who think that the difference between 5.0 and 7.5 is not significant, believe me, that is a huge difference. Each 1.0 on the scale is 10X the acidity. So 5.0 is actually 100X more acidic than 7.0. Link to acidity scale.

what does the manufacturer say is the side to use? and why? perhaps they think we prefer a shiny board next to our comics and shiny-ing up ONE side is cheaper than pressing BOTH sides...

so Im guessing both sides may in fact have diferent ph-levels, but it's due to something else than pre-planning.

What do you mean, "pressing BOTH sides"? You can't press just one side of a piece of paper. confused.gif

What do you mean, "pressing BOTH sides"? You can't press just one side of a piece of paper. confused.gif

pressing is not the correct process or term... but the spray isnt why its shiny is it? Like oaktag and other forms of two-diffferent sided boards, you can heat-treat one side only to flatten the paper's rag content, thats what I was getting at.

pressing is not the correct process or term... but the spray isnt why its shiny is it? Like oaktag and other forms of two-diffferent sided boards, you can heat-treat one side only to flatten the paper's rag content, thats what I was getting at.

I don't know what makes it shiny. confused-smiley-013.gif All I know is that the shiny side has a higher pH.

sign-offtopic.gif So which side of Aluminum foil should I use? confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually a lot of people don't know the answer to this either. You should place food against the dull side of the foil.

Had you taken the time to read your links you would notice that I am correct, food should be stored against the dull side. They recommend cooking with the food against the shiny side which makes sense. poke2.gif

I realize a single data point is quite enough in the legal system poke2.gif but for those of us who spend most of our day in greater nerd-dom, how repeatable is this experiment? Seriously, no need for scores of reps, I would imagine 3 trials would be enough to get a feel for its consistency.

And hats off for your initiative to go after the answer first-hand! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey Zonk,

I will try it with some older back boards that have been inside of bags along with some books for a while and see what results I get. I can try it again on more unused back boards, but I don't expect the results to change.

Russ, here is where I bought the pH pencil: Link

Had you taken the time to read your links you would notice that I am correct, food should be stored against the dull side. They recommend cooking with the food against the shiny side which makes sense. poke2.gif

. yeahok.gifscrewy.gif

"Which side of Reynolds Wrap® should I use, the shiny or the dull side?

Actually, it makes no difference which side of the Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil you use—both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of aluminum foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill's highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish."

. yeahok.gifscrewy.gif

"Which side of Reynolds Wrap® should I use, the shiny or the dull side?

Actually, it makes no difference which side of the Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil you use—both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of aluminum foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill's highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish."

poke2.gif The sky is grey. poke2.gif

I never saw this thread, but I always figured everyone knew the "shiny" side was the one coated to be more alkaline and person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point the pulp (acid in pulp) of the board from touching the comic (shrug)

sorry I missed the debate

As others have stated, I don't know why you would ever put the books on the dull side. I have always put my books on the shiny side, I always assumed that was the way to do it. I guess I always figured, why would there be a shiny side at all then? I'm sure sure making one side shiny is an extra step for the manufacturer, so there must be a reason.

As others have stated, I don't know why you would ever put the books on the dull side. I have always put my books on the shiny side, I always assumed that was the way to do it. I guess I always figured, why would there be a shiny side at all then? I'm sure sure making one side shiny is an extra step for the manufacturer, so there must be a reason.

the reason is to provide a buffer between pulp (acid) of the board and the comic (thumbs u