• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller is no Fool

143 posts in this topic

isnt that the punchline of a joke?

My doctor told me I was crazy.

I told him . . .

If you don't mind, doc . . . I'd like a second opinion!

Doc: Ok, you're ugly too!

You know my doctor . . . Dr. Vinnie-Boom-Batz da-dump

-rodney

I can't tell by his postings if he is indeed a comic fan or merely a insufficiently_thoughtful_person who has nothing better to do than to come here.

Things were quiet, then he logged on. screwy.gif

Things were also productive until he arrived as well. Now, the thread is threatening to be hijacked by this insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Lets get back on task shal we?

My plan is to crack a few slabs, sell a few slabs, and buy what i bought before i started buying slabs. That would be vf-vf/nm silver and bronze marvel. Books that look dadgum good in a mylar and a fullback. Ive got an Avengers 1 (as you know) that i had to go to my LCS and get his 2.0 copy to read. that started me down the trail of "why am i doing this?". I also began label chasing and it got to be less and less fun.

Arex

I can't tell by his postings if he is indeed a comic fan or merely a insufficiently_thoughtful_person who has nothing better to do than to come here.

Things were quiet, then he logged on. screwy.gif

Things were also productive until he arrived as well. Now, the thread is threatening to be hijacked by this insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Lets get back on task shal we?

My plan is to crack a few slabs, sell a few slabs, and buy what i bought before i started buying slabs. That would be vf-vf/nm silver and bronze marvel. Books that look dadgum good in a mylar and a fullback. Ive got an Avengers 1 (as you know) that i had to go to my LCS and get his 2.0 copy to read. that started me down the trail of "why am i doing this?". I also began label chasing and it got to be less and less fun.

Arex

sleeping.gifzzzzzzzzzzzzz You all sound the same 893blahblah.gif

isnt that the punchline of a joke?

My doctor told me I was crazy.

I told him . . .

If you don't mind, doc . . . I'd like a second opinion!

Doc: Ok, you're ugly too!

You know my doctor . . . Dr. Vinnie-Boom-Batz da-dump

-rodney

thats the ONE!! thanx. drew a blank there...

then why listen?

Why, because you all claim don't follow trends and the thing with all of you is to break open those slabs and be a rebel 27_laughing.gif.It's all about having fun?.I, guess you would have no trouble tradind your Avengers#1 for Moon Night #1 remeber $$$ should not count.You all sound like a bunch of Hypocrites and Liars.

Several articulate and impassioned opinions voiced in this thread, ladies and gents thumbsup2.gif. Thanks especially to Brian and Dan for great posts.

I empathize with the desire to be rid of the "label-mania". Nothing beats being able to hold and look through a cool, old comic, and there's not nearly as much at stake financially. However, I also really enjoy collecting "freakish" copies that have somehow survived 4 decades in near perfect condition, and so I plan to continue to purchase encapsulated books.

To have the best of both worlds, one can own a reader copy of every high grade freak in their collection. Another approach is to focus on non-slabbed books from pedigree collections - although typically not ultra-high grade, these are often gorgeous examples and, I believe, are generally less likely to have been worked on, having passed through fewer "secondary" owner hands. Plus, you can read 'em and smell 'em! cloud9.gif

Foolkiller, just do what you feel is best for you. thumbsup2.gif

Everyone's collecting style is different and that is a big part of what makes collecting things fun and interesting. Just because I like certain items or books, does not mean that someone else will like the same items or books, does that make them a bad person or stupid? No, it just means that they have different interests then I do and I makes it more interesting to talk to them about what they collect.

I don't currently own any slabbed books, but that mostly due to the fact, that I do not belive that a .2 difference in grade is worth multiple more of guide then the grade below it. Plus I enjoy reading what I purchase and to me that is 1/2 the fun. Also I have trouble with people who feel that just because a book is slabbed that it is worth 2 times guide or more, but that is just my opnion and if people have the money and want to spend it on the slabs, then more power to them, since that is their choice.

My personnel style is, if I can find a nice book that looks good to me raw, for a reasonible price, then I buy it, but only if it fits into my collecting goals.

I do think there is a place in the industry for CGC, since it does make it easier to sell books that are slabbed then raw. I hope that CGC, as they continue to grow, can and do get better at detecting resto work and become a little more consistant in their grading. Once this happens, it hopefully will slow down the people trying to slip restored books past them for easy money and let these people know that it is not worth the effort to get them restored.

Psy