• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller is no Fool

143 posts in this topic

Bill,

I know there's a lot of truth in what you say, and you'd think I'd have a tougher exterior about all this, but this is just disheartening to me. It really is. I'm not just basing this on the stuff here, but all the stuff that's going on outside the boards as well, and how large I see this problem to be in scope.

I could argue both sides of this...I think most of us could too. It has made sense to me for the past few years to buy slabs since CGC grades have really tightened up grading. In the bad old days, we all paid double guide for what are not called VF-s. Unfortunately, no wwe pay 6-10 guide for true 9.4 NMs, while the "old-style' raw NMs sell for 1/2 guide. But the tighter grading has been a core reason I have felt comfortable picking up what I am reasonably sure are some of the best copies out thre.

So the reality that many of these NMs used to BE 8.0s is very disheartening. But in the final analysis havent we just traded one set of dangers of collecting for some new ones? Havent dealers then AND now manipulated the system for their own profit? CGC was supposed to eliminate the bad... but are we so surprised it has only cause/created NEW issues to be wary of? Thats the Law of Unintended Consequences at worrk

BK,

As someone who has been around the hobby a long ,long time let me assure you that there are less dishonest dealers than there used to be. Less market manipulation,as well. Perhaps you are seeing more,because you are gaining in experiance and have lost the rose colored glasses too many people wear.

The problem is that you still have the dishonest dealers, but now the wolves are ripping people off at extremely high dollar levels wearing sheeps clothing with the CGC logo on it. They're misusing a system that was put in place to protect the buyer. And CGC seems to have lost their ability to respond to the average buyers needs and developed a bunker mentality.

"Less market manipulaton." I think you're dead wrong. Some people may have lost the rose colored glasses, but there are still plenty walking around with rose colored contacts. The only reason we're seeing more is because people are digging it up.