• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 9 ?????? Universal trimmed??

14 posts in this topic

I was watching an amazing Spider-Man #9 cgc 8.5.  It finally sold for 3k.  It is a new univocal slab with the spicy picture and everything. If you read the front of the slab it says small amount of color touch and corner top trimmed. It has a unversal slab. How does a silver age book get a universal slab if it has restoration. I understand golden age but now silver age?   Very confused  the cert # is 2331335006

1 hour ago, Georgie123 said:

I was watching an amazing Spider-Man #9 cgc 8.5.  It finally sold for 3k.  It is a new univocal slab with the spicy picture and everything. If you read the front of the slab it says small amount of color touch and corner top trimmed. It has a unversal slab. How does a silver age book get a universal slab if it has restoration. I understand golden age but now silver age?   Very confused  the cert # is 2331335006

Apparently there are no purple labels for the special Marvel label series (or at least there weren't any when these books were slabbed). There are a number of these books which have restoration but still received a blue label. It's an oversight which could be corrected by CGC, but I'm sure the owners aren't in any rush to see their blue label books changed to a purple restored label...  :whistle:

Edited by The Lions Den

CGC has suggested at several times that comics not eligible for blue labels weren't supposed to get blue-only vanity labels. So these are basically QA failures, but they're particularly unfortunate ones.

3 hours ago, Georgie123 said:

It's a "universal" slab but not THE universal slab. Basically it's a loophole that (unwittingly or not), some sellers have been taking advantage of. CGC doesn't make those new spicy picture slabs for restored grade, just universal ones, so if somebody chooses that spicy picture slab, the book will end up in it, even though it is restored. So it's still a restored book though and through, and it says so in every documentation, like the certification, but it is in a "universal" slab. I hope CGC fixed that mistake since, but quite a few got out before the fix/loophole and that's one of them. So looks like someone purchased the slab and not the book. They'll probably try to return it when they get it, they'll probably even make a first post in our newbie thread.

Edited by William-James88

On 7/26/2020 at 4:27 PM, Georgie123 said:

The dealer is responding to criticism on these boards right now and it's not good. They are fully aware of this loophole and using it to their advantage instead of stating the restoration in the description. The picture they post is all the info they wish to disclose to buyers. It's their prerogative, buyer beware is in full effect. And as a buyer, I will ensure to put this seller in my list of people to avoid.

This is not really in defense of the seller, but you would think when someone is about to spend a few grand on a book, he/she would make sure to read ALL of the comments on the label.  I think the seller would be willing to help if necessary in that regard.  I've read most of the other thread and I'd like to remain neutral on the matter, but I just think a buyer going for a book of that value would make sure they've read the label...!

1 hour ago, EC Star&Bar said:

This is not really in defense of the seller, but you would think when someone is about to spend a few grand on a book, he/she would make sure to read ALL of the comments on the label.  I think the seller would be willing to help if necessary in that regard.  I've read most of the other thread and I'd like to remain neutral on the matter, but I just think a buyer going for a book of that value would make sure they've read the label...!

I even check the CGC certification number to make sure I'm not missing anything. I also check to see if the grade and page quality match with what I'm trying to buy.

10 minutes ago, EC Star&Bar said:

And how about the other sellers like all things comics etc, kellys superheroes that write a one line restoration line after all of their pictures and verbiage .

Either way you have a seller trying to pass it off as an unrestored book.

ANY restoration should be clearly denoted, anything less then that is shady 

10 minutes ago, UncleBEN said:

And how about the other sellers like all things comics etc, kellys superheroes that write a one line restoration line after all of their pictures and verbiage .

Either way you have a seller trying to pass it off as an unrestored book.

ANY restoration should be clearly denoted, anything less then [sic] that is shady 

As I said I wasn't out to necessarily defend the seller's practice -- but when you're willing to spend a big amount, not reading the CGC label is potentially a BIG mistake by the buyer.  We don't know if the winning bidder was knowingly willing to pay that much for a trimmed copy.

I actually use ebay more than I used to because of the zoom feature available for lots of the listings.  The old adage applies, a picture is worth a thousand words.