• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

Watched these two books sell earlier today for CGC Universal prices, and at first glance you might think sure why not.  But they have restoration notes written on the label, with no purple label.  We've seen this kind of thing in the past but just because they ran out of purple labels for their fancy new characters doesn't exactly make it excusable.  Buyers and sellers are both going to be in for a rude surprise when the books get returned.  I wonder if people even look at the pictures of what they're bidding on or if this was just auctions bid on by automated bot buying accounts. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-14-CGC-7-0-OW-W-Marvel-1964-1st-Green-Goblin-/224089232960

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-9-CGC-8-5-OW-W-Marvel-1964-1st-Electro-/224089236480

JBdYoO9.png

Edited by 90sChild

The graphic labels are only for Blue and Yellow labels, no other colors.  If your book deserves a Purple label, they don't substitute Blue just to get the $5 for the graphic. 

I have had books submitted to receive labels, and missed some very slight color touch on 2 books.  The labels came back Purple, and no graphic because there are no graphic labels in Purple.  Being so disappointed by the Purple labels, it took me a few days to realize I had also paid for 2 graphics I didn't get.  I'll have to recoup that from customer service and accounting. 

Anyway, just saying that just because they ordered the graphic shouldn't preclude them from getting a Purple label.  But in the confusion of shuffling from department to department, it might have happened exactly that way.

Edited by Lightning55

37 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

The graphic labels are only for Blue and Yellow labels, no other colors.  If your book deserves a Purple label, they don't substitute Blue just to get the $5 for the graphic. 

I have had books submitted to receive labels, and missed some very slight color touch on 2 books.  The labels came back Purple, and no graphic because there are no graphic labels in Purple.  Being so disappointed by the Purple labels, it took me a few days to realize I had also paid for 2 graphics I didn't get.  I'll have to recoup that from customer service and accounting. 

Anyway, just saying that just because they ordered the graphic shouldn't preclude them from getting a Purple label.  But in the confusion of shuffling from department to department, it might have happened exactly that way.

Sounds like that would be the ideal way to do it.  But CGC customers who receive back these errors are not likely to send it back for a purple, especially if slab buyers don't notice and pay 100% of GPA blue label universal price.

Edited by 90sChild

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

Well that is ALOT of misses.....I would wager these label "errors" are in triple digits

11 hours ago, Bird said:

and yet his feedback is so wonderful! (It is not)

I scrolled through some of his feedback and it really wasn't all that bad.  It seemed like some were common eBay complaints from buyers who complain about shipping costs (buyers who dont realize how expensive shipping can be) or a book not being a 9.8 (but not paying 9.8 prices).  The ratio is actually very good when you consider how much he has sold on there and how many of the complaints come from the same buyers.

Dylan seems like a nice enough person but I would say that he seems to lack a bit of emotional maturity especially in his on line dealings.  I have interacted with him once at a show and he was a pleasure to deal with.  He definitely should explain himself here but I'm going to assume that he's going to say that the pictures clearly showed the labels.  Definitely interested in seeing if he shows up here.  If he doesn't show up i'll shoot him a message.

I wouldn't jump all over the seller for being at fault, I mean he could have mentioned restored in the title but did not.  Buyer beware and do your own due diligence, I know I didn't bid on it, but maybe if I just had a cell phone and wasn't looking at pictures of every single item I watched I can see how easily buyers miss it.  CGC is the one that is putting the reputation of their services out there with the mistakes here.

"please send them back in"
... *stifles laugh*
........*chortles*

Yeah, that's gonna happen. 

This is why you have to build in guide rails so this cant happen. 

Like the system where label notes are added prior to printing should error our when an entry includes key words like RESTORED, or COLOR TOUCH. That way you dont have to rely on the people to adhere to a guideline (a guideline that apparently isn't checked against during the QA process before shipping). 

And the best is it took TWO errors in the process for it to occur, so that means at least two phases of the grading process either didn't understand the guideline, or were never told the guideline. 

10 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

A few things, 1) I don't think a lot of people actually read, which is super disappointing. It explains the rampant problem of fake news and lack of education no matter where you fall politically, which is the same as over zealous stubborn thoughts by the masses that we are educated when in reality we really know nothing.

I wonder how many people bid on the auctions using their phone, and couldn't clearly see what the restoration text said on the label?

Was restoration noted anywhere else in the auctions?

Just now, HighVoltage said:

I wonder how many people bid on the auctions using their phone, and couldn't clearly see what the restoration text said on the label?

Was restoration noted anywhere else in the auctions?

High quality scan, so no excuses. We also have not actually determined if it is restoration at all.

12 hours ago, UncleBEN said:

I called this out on the retrain the grader thread and am glad someone else saw this.

CGC is really saying they cannot print these labels in PURPLE? Huh?

If this is the case then they need to not offer them as an option for restored books, there are TONS of these labels out there ,

The seller is on the board, and did not reply to me calling him out on not disclosing any restoration info in his auctions on these.

Any feedback @dylanthekid ????

I am replying to you calling me out right now which is within 12 hours, and I also do this thing called sleeping, so if you think I'm gonna sit by my computer waiting for someone to message me while I try to supply really great books at fair prices to my customers you are 100% wrong.

Edited by dylanthekid